Hockey Wilderness

Article: Riley Heidt Is Ready To Make A Calder Impact

19 hours ago, Lovehockey said:

The size ( and weight ) does matter but not always. From top 15 points leaders in NHL this year:

Kucherov - 5.11 181 125 points 

Panarin - 6.0 174 - 102 points 

Pettersson 6.2 176 - 84 points

Hughes 5.10 180 - 81 points

Point 5.11 180 - 81 Points

if Wild can get this type of production from Heidt I don’t think anyone will be worrying how big or small he is.

It should be right combination of skills and size I agree on this

This is true, however, Heidt likes to take the body and get involved in scrums. Looking at the above list, I do not see any of those guys wanting to do that. So, my strength/weight comment was catering to the style of play that Heidt likes to play.

I'm not sure if he is a drop the gloves kind of guy, or more of an Ek pushing and shoving type of guy. Bottom line is, though, either way he needs the strength.

21 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Rossi is really growing on me because it looks like he has offensive instincts that can’t be taught, but the granlund comparisons are still fair until he proves he can be effective in playoff hockey against the tall trees. I can still remember granny getting one arm manhandled by opponents

Perhaps the comparison to Granny is that he should be moved out to wing, and that he can score points while playing a 200' game (something that Koivu was very proud of him for doing). But, to me, it seems like Rossi's center instincts are better than Granny, perhaps he is a little better skater? I think another year of beefing himself up will help against the tall trees, especially if he can get them off balance with elite edge work. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 12:15 PM, MacGyver said:

Now we already got Riley Heidt winning the Calder? Haha Faber hasen't won it this year yet! Can we pump the brakes just a little?? 🤣

Heidt is set to take over a full-time role, replacing Marcus Johansson in 2025-26 or Mats Zuccarello in 2026-27. 

Heidt is ready to make a Calder Trophy impact. 

In a year or two...why not??

• Like 1