Hockey Wilderness

Big Game Guys

Verified Member

Watching the playoffs here and there noticing things. Who are the big game guys? Clutch guys who are always on the scoresheet or making an impact. Why is it always the same names that pop up? 

Who are the guys you notice? Since Dallas is up against Vegas tonight, I found it interesting Mark Stone is the first goal scorer again. Wyatt Johnston has a couple assists already. 

C. Verhaege for FL has stood out already. DeBrusk for Boston. Should be interesting to see if Fiala can get going. Kempe is the guy I've noticed from LA. 

Verified Member

Dare I say Nylander? Toronto Boston game seven on-deck.

Fiala is out with LA. His series production was less than impressive. The one game he scored, he was also -1. Gotta think he gets paid a lot for below average playoff production. Gee, kinda like when he was in MN. He had the one big goal for NSH in the playoffs before he broke his leg, but I think it's safe to say playoffs are not his thing. Does that mean Guerin was even more right and good to get Faber and a 1st???

Verified Member
Posted (edited)

While I'm thinking about it, I might as well mention Middlestadt and his success in Colorado. Happy to see MN guys doing well, but he's a player I had said the Wild should target. Another guy I thought MN should go after as a UFA is Yakov Trenin. A tough Russian, willing to fight and battle, he also had a nice goal in the game to eliminate WPG.

I've said MN should also got after Matt Roy from LA, a RD UFA. He had a really nice pass on Kempe's final goal for LA in that series.

MN just needs upgrades. Merrill is just okay, Chisholm is learning. Middleton needs a partner to help him avoid getting burned. Brodin has always done well with a solid partner who's a little more greasy. Faber seems to be the same type. With a solid, mean, partner, #7 would be more free to play his style. I think this is the missing link to unlock the better goaltending, offense from the back end, and defensive results that allow the Wild's good scoring offense to win more games...

Wonder who's gonna be the big game guys tonight between NSH/VAN and DAL/VGK???Johnston again? Boeser? Soucy perhaps? Wish the Wild could have kept him. Nyquist? Geurin definitely screwed that one up, keeping neck-beard Nojo.

Edited by Protec

Verified Member

Surprise, Vegas most recent acquisition pots the GWG and Stone with the empty-netter.

Stone, only plays playoff hockey. Let that really sink in. He only plays in the playoffs and has goals near every game. While the Fialas, NoJos, or Zucker who had three points in their losing series, but appears to have not scored on multiple chances in the elimination game. Sound familiar to anyone??? 😃

Nashville relied way too heavily on Forsberg, O'Rielly, and Nyquist. I mean they had to, but nowhere near enough depth scoring to win. Saros was really good. Vancouver upgraded their defense with Zadorov, Soucy, and Cole, plus Hronek who came in late at the end of last season. Went from joke, non-playoff team to winning round one against a difficult NSH team that had MN's number the latter part of this season. Signing Pius Suter was also a pretty big deal for them. Besides the GWG last night he's been good with Boeser and Petterson.

This series and example illustrates two things. No, you do not want Zuckers, or Fialas for any kind of term or playoffs. They don't do jack despite regular season production. Identify and avoid these guys. Next, upgrade the defense. Canucks had Hughes and a bunch of regular Joe Lunchbuckets. They made serious moves to get veteran guys and the very next season they're in the NHL top ten.

MN can't sleep on these UFAs this Summer. Middleton, Merrill, Mermis, Chisholm, Goligoski, Hunt, Lambos, are all guys that could be okay in a better group insulated from too much responsibility. Faber, Brodin, and Spurgeon are "elite" kinda we think, but let's not crown Faber king-defenseman-Norris-007 quite yet. Brodin and Spurge aren't 27 anymore and even then, they're not exactly playoff bruisers. Think about it, MN's defense is weak overall. The forward group is weak overall. Too weak for playoffs, nowhere near the balance needed. MN needed everything to go right this year. It had been done previously so that's maybe not the worst guess, but we saw how it worked out and it was ugly. GMBG had better recapture the momentum pretty quickly or the faith that had been building will be blown to smithereens like an Itasca County illegal deerstand if ya know what I'm talkin about. 

Verified Member

You know who seems like a pretty good big game guy? Jake Oettinger from Lakeville.

Remember who MN didn't draft in 2017? Remember how MN had a goalie issue for a number of years requiring a 1st being used for Wallstedt so they couldn't draft Wyatt Johnston?

MN could have kept Tuch, and selected Oettinger so easily. (Insert sad-trombone noise.)

Verified Member

Wyatt Johnston with more playoff goals this year than any Wild player in the past three playoffs other than #97 or Ek who has five too.

Colorado has their big guys step up last night. #29, #13, and #8 all getting on the board to get a big win in Dallas.

Benn & Johnston for Dallas. NYR & Carolina's bigs guys were important last night too. MN needs their big guys to step up in the playoffs. That's Ek, Kaprizov, Boldy, Hartman, and perhaps Faber who the Wild will have to expect results from. Either that has to happen or they'll need to get it by committee which is a big ask when you're playing two top lines, one of which has NoJo or a 3rd line with Foligno, or rookies. 

Verified Member

Watching the Avalanche playing and hearing them constantly talk about how fast MacKinnon skates is annoying. I really hope they lose. 

• Haha 1

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Sam said:

Watching the Avalanche playing and hearing them constantly talk about how fast MacKinnon skates is annoying. I really hope they lose. 

Between Colorado and Dallas it's hard not to hate both. If Colorado could lose but Suter gets measles from illegal immigrants or junkies in Denver that'd be my favorite outcome.

• Haha 1

Verified Member

Anybody catch Duhaime's nice goal last night? Breaks up the play in the D-zone, gets a stick from the bench, catches a pass off the boards, and snipes one against Oettinger.

😁

• Like 1

Edmonton biggest guys step up and every one of their goals last night have the same two guys in common.

Same theme for Florida. The familiar big guys getting it done.

MN simply doesn't have these guys. Not like the teams still in the playoffs. This is the most important thing GMs should do. Find and put together these players. Maroon was a try but pretty weak given what MN has. If not for injuries perhaps it could have worked, but looking back it just wasn't gonna cut the mustard without other guys stepping up big-time for MN. With passengers like NoJo on the team or rookie NHL defenseman, the goose was cooked back in November of 2023.

Anton Lundell with a pretty nice game for FL who has Boston in a stranglehold. 

FL is a perfect example of a team that any given night can get big performances from a laundry-list of players. Good coach too taking advantage of that. Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Montour, Reinhart, all held of the board but between Lundell, Barkov, Rodrigues, Okposo, Tarasenko, and Ekblad, the Panthers didn't need everyone to beat Boston. 

For MN it's always been a laundry-list of non-factor players in the post-season.

5 hours ago, Protec said:

Boeser 1st period hat-trick qualifies as a big game, playoff performance. Still glad MN took Ek but when there was Boeser trade rumors a couple years ago MN shoulda tried to make it happen. Soucy doing well in Vancouver too. Nice to see that.

Looks like Boeser didn't have the hatty after Lindholm got credit for a tip on the first goal. 

Still worth mentioning the UFAs or trade targets who have playoff-factorness. Lindholm is the kind of elite Swede we would like similar to Ek. Completely different from neck-beardly losers.(#90)

I’m watching Londell highlights from last nights Florida game where Lundell is skating a regular shift with a team that’s about to advance to the third round and thinking about Rossi on the trading block this summer. The fact that Guerin is willing to part with Rossi three years post draft is his own admission of a failed ninth overall draft pick, regardless of his 20 goals season he’s not the player they thought he was going to be so that is a bounce off the upright for guerin on this draft pick.  As the clock ticks down a 97’s current contract the light shines brighter on this groups ability to put the wild organization on the right trajectory I’ll again give Guerin’s organization C minus grade and I’m going to recommend summer school. Along with a parent meeting.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Haha 1

They traded up for Wallstedt because the Wild needed a goaltender of the future since 2017 didn't net Oettinger for the Wild. The result was Dallas got Johnston who has another multi-goal playoff game going as we speak. 

Guerin and Brackett drafting hype is just that. Many, many examples of guys getting results that the Wild didn't pick.