Hockey Wilderness

Article: David Perron Would Be the Perfect Wild Remedy

Verified Member

Trading Kaprizov sort of scares me as well because if you look at the Jack Eichel trade im not sure id be satisfied with the return Buffalo recieved  ,  basically Tuch and "Greenway via trading one of the picks Vegas gave up to us for Greenway "   the other player adds nothing and the other pick is a 170lb player  i wouldnt be exited about .

Verified Member
19 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I kind of assumed that this would be the case for some of the players, especially young players unattached or just with a significant other. Guys with families may want something more like MN has. 

The night life in the big city is sometimes the trade off for higher taxes. There are some who would love to play in NYC, or Boston, or Philly. There are also some who would hate it. 

That's the problem though, the people who are more in their prime are less likely to have families than aging veterans past their prime.  Those are the players who fade more at the end of their contract so we don't get the same value out of the player over the duration.

And that's if we can convince them to come here.

Players sometimes will sign for less to be in a place they want to be, but that often is a larger market and/or a team that is poised to be strong in the playoffs.  We might have the local interest of a larger market, but we can't offer those same things, which means prying those star players away often means paying more than a larger market or a cup contender might.

Verified Member
1 hour ago, raithis said:

That's the problem though, the people who are more in their prime are less likely to have families than aging veterans past their prime.  Those are the players who fade more at the end of their contract so we don't get the same value out of the player over the duration.

Are we talking about a player going into UFA status, or a player who is still RFA controlled? A player going into UFA status is usually in that 26-28 year old window. I would consider that this age of player would likely have a wife or serious girlfriend and possibly one child. 

If you're talking about the 23-26 year olds, then it is likely that they are single or have just met a serious girlfriend. The big city might be more enticing in those regards. 

However, we did resign Kaprizov to 5 years and Boldy to 7 years and Ek to 8 years. And that takes out those young middle years. I have no idea if Kaprizov has a serious girlfriend and if he does where she is from.

I do think that we have an attractive lifestyle and place to live that would appeal to guys who grew up rural and possibly some European players. Fiala was a good example of a young guy who wanted the lights. 

5 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Are we talking about a player going into UFA status, or a player who is still RFA controlled? A player going into UFA status is usually in that 26-28 year old window. I would consider that this age of player would likely have a wife or serious girlfriend and possibly one child. 

If you're talking about the 23-26 year olds, then it is likely that they are single or have just met a serious girlfriend. The big city might be more enticing in those regards. 

However, we did resign Kaprizov to 5 years and Boldy to 7 years and Ek to 8 years. And that takes out those young middle years. I have no idea if Kaprizov has a serious girlfriend and if he does where she is from.

I do think that we have an attractive lifestyle and place to live that would appeal to guys who grew up rural and possibly some European players. Fiala was a good example of a young guy who wanted the lights. 

I believe Kappy does have a serious girlfriend. I seem to remember she was mentioned when his parents were here so probably she is from Russia too.

Verified Member
22 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Mainly I'm talking about attracting UFAs.  RFAs have little control over where they play until they are UFAs.

We don't generally have much of a shot at elite/star UFA players in the 25-28 age range when they are available and go to free agency.  To come here, we seem as though we need to overpay, and we are still paying for the last ones we got.  Most of the time, these players tend to go to larger markets.

I would argue that MN is not as much of a destination as a larger market.  I laugh at the people who say x signed with this team.  Why didn't we make that offer?  In some cases we might have, but the player still might have decided that MN wasn't their idea of a place to live/play that they took the same deal (or less) to play elsewhere.

We don't typically attract those types of players.  Larger markets do.

Something that would be interesting is how often MN ends up on a players no-trade list.  I bet it's quite a bit even though we tend to make the playoffs most years.

• Like 1