Hockey Wilderness

Article: Cole Eiserman Can Make Wild Fans Forget Passing On Gabe Perreault

Eiserman would be a nice addition. I hope Guerin allows Brackett to take best available this year in the 1st. We can always target Kleber, or Marelli in second round who are big defensive right handers. Maybe we even get lucky and Emery or Mews falls a little to get scooped in the second round.

• Like 2

Verified Member

Have the Wild had a player before who refers to himself in the third-person?

Seems like there's a lot of reasons he'd go before 13th.

Do other teams need defense and will there be more of them taken before a scorer like this with a big ego?

I'm telling myself already Brackett is gonna come out of left field with a guruism. Rather be surprised in a good way but mentally preparing for the worst.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Protec said:

I'm telling myself already Brackett is gonna come out of left field with a guruism. Rather be surprised in a good way but mentally preparing for the worst.

Yeah, dude, he's done such a bad job so far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony Abbott said:

Yeah, dude, he's done such a bad job so far.

Huge disappointment! Rossi, Hunt, Khus and O'Rourke all in his first draft. Every single one of them just useless. Then we get into the absolute failure that is Wallstedt. Bankier, Masters, Peart, Lambos all already  21 years old and haven't had a 70 goal or 100 point season yet. All busts, every single one.

Edited by TheGoosesAreLooses
  • Haha 4

Verified Member
Posted (edited)

I have no faith in the Wild FO to make the right choice after last year’s draft.  It’s such a horrendous first round pick and clearly flawed process that led them there.  I do disclaim that Stramel can still work out and be fine, but there is no top 6 upside there.  You can get those guys later (like their second round pick, for example).

Are people here really touting Bracket and Geurin as draft masters for picking a bunch of guys that haven’t even made it to the league?  Clearly, those guys could have very successful career.  But, they also may not.  Maybe locate a few actual success stories as examples?  For now, we know Rossi is a good hockey player at the NHL level.  

Edited by Beast
  • Haha 1

I really don't think that the Stramel pick is so egregious. People (including myself!) said similar stuff about Joel Eriksson Ek, and look how that worked out. He had a bad year, but this isn't a kid without talent or upside. 

• Like 4

I think Stramel was picked for need due to Rossi's uncertainty.  Rossi becoming a valid scorer in one year makes Stramel's struggles look even worse in context, because there's one less spot to go around unless he improves.  The thing is, you cannot teach size, so he and Kumpulainen will get chances other people won't.

As for Eiserman, I'm all for someone anywhere in the vicinity of 30-40 goal scorer potential.  He seems like the most likely candidate to either go early or heavily drop.  If he does drop, and he's there, he offers something the Wild don't have: a guy who just wants the puck, and wants to shoot: perfect for the second line already.

Still not going to hurt if people like Helenius, Yakemchuk, or Greentree are still around.

Verified Member

I was not one of those disappointed for not taking Perrault. He is 5'11" 165. That's where he is on Elite Prospects (likely his draft measurements) and he's the same on the BC site. If we thought Rossi was going to struggle or is small, this guy bleeds small. 

Eiserman is 6' 196 right now according to Elite Prospects. We'll get a better indication from his combine measurements. But, his body is close to NHL ready. His shot appears close to that too. Does the rest of his game? Can he skate (the other big trait that Brackett uses)? 

Some of the mocks by some much smarter writers than me have got Cayden Lindstrom dropping (really, no lower than 9th). If this happens, that's the guy I want to trade up for! I wouldn't mind a big defender either. If it's Eiserman who is the guy to drop, he matches my traits pretty well (skating unknown) except for being an RHS. 

We are so loaded at LW. Is there any way we can maybe get some righties in here? I'm not against lefties, I just want balance and we're not balanced in handedness or the talent of those handedness players.

"We are so loaded at LW. Is there any way we can maybe get some righties in here? I'm not against lefties, I just want balance and we're not balanced in handedness or the talent of those handedness players."

Helenius, NB, or Sennecke would help with that.  Liam Greentree shoots left, but is RW too.

Verified Member

The Wild are desperate for someone to put the puck in back of the net, crazy desperate. We need offense, not defensemen, goal scorers. In today’s NHL you’ll never make it out of the first round of the playoffs playing 2-1 games. Somebody needs to figure that out.

Verified Member
8 hours ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

Huge disappointment! Rossi, Hunt, Khus and O'Rourke all in his first draft. Every single one of them just useless. Then we get into the absolute failure that is Wallstedt. Bankier, Masters, Peart, Lambos all already  21 years old and haven't had a 70 goal or 100 point season yet. All busts, every single one.

Rossi for sure isn’t a disappointment, you can’t say Khus is, he’s only played a couple games, wallstedt either, he’s played what 2 games, you just don’t know about the rest, first they have to play, lol.

Verified Member

It seems there will be at least one prospect with high upside available at #13. After Celebrini there is some depth in the draft that might result in the Wild ending up with a good prospect.

Regarding Eiserman, I think you can't underestimate the fact that he only turns 18 end of August. He is almost a year younger than other ranked players but already has a 196 lbs frame. There a things hat you can't teach and his offensive instincts could be lethal. The rest can be worked on.

• Like 3

Verified Member

If a guy is a natural goal scorer and isn't great at many other things, isn't up to the coaches to coach him? If I'm not mistaken, coaches do more than game plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fezig said:

If a guy is a natural goal scorer and isn't great at many other things, isn't up to the coaches to coach him? If I'm not mistaken, coaches do more than game plan. 

He’s had the best coaches in the country for a few years now.  If he’s still selfish and lazy (I’m speculating based on reports I’ve heard) than that’s just who he is.   Imagine Pierre luc du bois 2.0.  

• Like 2

Verified Member
36 minutes ago, Fezig said:

Yes. How coachable is he? Like Addison or like Rossi? That's a difference worth consideration. 

I don't think a guy with his numbers slips past Philly or Columbus or Calgary. 

MN has some good options. I don't expect a guy to jump right in so Connelly could be a lightweight noodle now but in a few years like Kyle Connor from WPG or Verhaeghe from FL who are like 180lb guys. I know mnfan wouldn't like it, but I just think the Wild need to try to get the best player. These big numbers guys shouldn't be passed over for a 200' player that "fits a need." The Wild have already done that with a few drafts while missing good NHL players who are already making bigger, more important impacts with their teams. 

Guerin-goofs and Brackett-blunders are real.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

He’s had the best coaches in the country for a few years now.  If he’s still selfish and lazy (I’m speculating based on reports I’ve heard) than that’s just who he is.   Imagine Pierre luc du bois 2.0.  

This should also be said about Eiserman, he de-committed from the Gophers for BU.  Is this a Guerin guy??

Verified Member
Just now, Pewterschmidt said:

This should also be said about Eiserman, he de-committed from the Gophers for BU.  Is this a Guerin guy??

Hockey is weird cause you have some big ego guys who can be like Eichel, or Kessel who it kinda works for. Then there's guys like Suter who are so arrogant that nobody can stand it.

It's tough to assess from afar. Yakupov had extreme confidence in junior. How'd that work out? I don't think that's a great comparison for Eiserman, but if you're an NHL team you'd better do a deep-dive into the psychology and personality of the guy first. Character evaluation. Perhaps that's how he's went from top 3 prospect to top 20. I still don't think he falls outside the top 10 with his production. Maturity-level and swagger combo can rub people the wrong way. In a few years, I think he'll still be a pretty good player.

On 5/9/2024 at 9:39 PM, Ice Creeps said:

Rossi for sure isn’t a disappointment, you can’t say Khus is, he’s only played a couple games, wallstedt either, he’s played what 2 games, you just don’t know about the rest, first they have to play, lol.

Lol my comment was dripping with sarcasm. I think Brackett has done when given the reins. I think Stramel was a Guerin pick, not a Brackett pick.

On 5/9/2024 at 3:29 PM, Tony Abbott said:

I really don't think that the Stramel pick is so egregious. People (including myself!) said similar stuff about Joel Eriksson Ek, and look how that worked out. He had a bad year, but this isn't a kid without talent or upside. 

I agree with what you said but he’s actually had two bad years in a row and he’s never really put up a lot of points in his entire year so idk why all of a sudden he would. He’s at best a 3rd or 4th line center and I’m actually a little worried he won’t make that. Wis hasn’t been a good team but still his numbers are atrocious the last couple years.