Hockey Wilderness

Article: Matthew Wood Fits the Bill As A Wild Draft Target

Tony Abbott

3 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

Thompson was traded July 1st 2018.

in his 2017 to 2018 year he had 9pts in 41 games.

in 2018 to 2019 with Buffalo he had 12pts in 65 games 

St Louis won their Cup in  2018-2019 

so…not really

You're reading it wrong. Thompson is the primary player traded for O'Reilly so yeah Thompson the prospect going to Buffalo 100% helped STL win the Cup.

3 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

He hasn’t even played 40 Nhl games yet.

look at Tage Thompsons first 3-4 years.

Look at Joel Eriksson Eks first 3-4 years.

I agree that you can never have too many prospects but for the love of God give him time. 
players don’t start their first couple years as superstars unless they are named McDavid.

it’s unbelievable how impatient people are.

The argument isn't just how long Rossi is taking in a vacuum. It's compared to other 2020 picks, size, grit, speed, strength, compete, and losing pedigree from Austria. 

On 6/10/2023 at 4:51 PM, Mateo3xm said:

He hasn’t even played 40 Nhl games yet.

look at Tage Thompsons first 3-4 years.

Look at Joel Eriksson Eks first 3-4 years.

I agree that you can never have too many prospects but for the love of God give him time. 
players don’t start their first couple years as superstars unless they are named McDavid.

it’s unbelievable how impatient people are.

I am basing my comments in part on how the Wild GM / coach have treated Rossi. Guerin has been making public statements that give me the impression he is not convinced Rossi will succeed in a Wild uniform. Evason was playing Rossi on the 4th line, and treating him the way he treats Addison.

Maybe the GM sees or knows something the fans don't? The front office seems to be  having second thoughts on both Rossi and Addison, so no reason the fans can't ask questions and scrutinize things. 

I agree with you, that 40 games is a small sample size, but it has been enough for the coach / GM to make critical comments about Rossi.

I'm not happy to rip Wild prospects because the implications are that Minnesota didn't make the most of a top 10 selection. That sucks. 

It's fair to ask the question though because other prospects the same age are successful already.

That means I'm not totally giving up all hope but that level of hype or hopefulness that came with a leading OHL point scorer as an 17/18 year old isn't nearly as strong or nearly equivalent to others from the 2020 draft class.