Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wilderness Walk: Team Fails, Wild Lose Game 2

I mean its not the worst thing to come home with the series tied 1-1. Just take care of the home games now and we win in 6! It would've been great to be 2-0 coming home, but that was unrealistic with how these teams stack up against each other. Especially after we got bit with more injuries. 

It was an ugly game, but I'll take it. Regroup, don't do that again, and just finish them off at home to head back to Dallas up 3-1 and everyone will forget about game 2. 

And.. maybe don't rotate the goalies until you have to give the team a spark. 

I didn't have a problem with Fleury playing.  Everyone knew Dallas was going to bring the A game and then some.  The Wild were going to have a let down after the feel good 2 OT game.  It didn't bode well for us.  We did just about everything wrong.  Fleury took one for the team.

I like the physical play and it should be a part of our game.  But it should not be the focus.  Play the right way and play smart. I've seen this team play the right way and play exceptional hockey.  They know how.

Worst game I have seen our veteran D core play in a very long time.  Spurgeon, Middleton, Brodin and Dumba must be better.  Those 4 are crucial to winning.  They looked rattled.  Our team starts with those 4.  They set the tone.  

I understood the decision to start Fleury to a certain extent. You said it in the article above. Dallas was going to bring it and bring it hard. Flower has been there a billion times. But Gus played his tail off in Game 1. I don't get the "babying" of Gus here unless there is something we don't know like he's super fatigued and was unable to start. But that seems far-fetched.

However, I don't know if either goalie could have done much. Zucc put it best: Flower had no help. Seriously poor decision making on that PP when Dallas scored the shorty. You have the puck Kaprizov, carry it further into the zone and don't try that pass with two Dallas guys right there. I was screaming at the tv when Seguin scored that PP goal. He was alone. Flower definitely wants the Benn goal back though. He made a ridiculous save right before that 4th goal and there wasn't anyone within a country mile of Dadonov to clear the rebound. On the 5th goal, the Wild have two chances by my count to clear the puck and they are wet toilet paper soft and don't look like they have any urgency. And again, no one ties up Dadonov so he gets an easy tip. 6th goal starts with an asinine pass at the offensive blue line that leads to a breakaway the other way. Flower tries his patented poke check but no bueno. Probably not the best way to play it but he was more than likely a bit fed up at that point so try anything I guess to throw the shooter off. On the 7th goal, I thought Dumba chased the Dallas play up way too high in the zone and then was slow as molasses getting back and didn't tie up Hintz's stick and it was an easy backdoor tap in. 

Just a complete 180 defensively and effort-wise from Game 1. Maybe they were tired? Who knows. Dallas is a heavy team and they have the firepower. Wild are going to have to bring their A game and look like they give a damn if they want to win this series. 

• Like 1

If you have a goalie who stopped 42 consecutive shots and 52 of 54, overall, you go with him the next game.  That was a very bad decision to switch goalies because, "it's what we do."  If the staff learns from this, it was the last time Fleury sees ice time, as long as Gus is playing on his head.  We don't have to excuse poor coaching decisions.  It's these types of decisions that keep us from having truly great chances to win in the playoffs.  BG may have been involved in the decision, as well, though.  So it could be on him, too.  

• Like 1

I also don’t mind the goalies taking turns but the Wild’s focus and execution wasn’t there. Started ugly and momentum went to Dallas. Penalties hurt again. The Wild just had a bad game. They’re gonna need to be ready to go at home. 

Fleury has a tendency to have a bad game here and there. Everyone who says he’s toast better hope he’s not toast cause if Gus were to get hurt the Wild would have to rely on Fleury. I think he is reliable overall but in a one weird game sample can look bad. 

I think it’s really funny that the Wild are the Leafs of the West and Toronto got their doors blown off by Tampa 7-3 Tuesday night. Wild got shelled for a 7-3 loss just the same Wednesday night. Each team has a record of losing round one. Will this year be different?

2 hours ago, B1GKappa97 said:

I mean its not the worst thing to come home with the series tied 1-1. Just take care of the home games now and we win in 6! It would've been great to be 2-0 coming home, but that was unrealistic with how these teams stack up against each other. Especially after we got bit with more injuries. 

It was an ugly game, but I'll take it. Regroup, don't do that again, and just finish them off at home to head back to Dallas up 3-1 and everyone will forget about game 2. 

And.. maybe don't rotate the goalies until you have to give the team a spark. 

If Gus were in net, it would have given the Wild a very good chance to go up 2-0.  To assume we would be 1-1 after 2 games is a mentality that will end in a series loss more often than not.

No question, my favorite part, the most entertaining, of the series so far is Foligno's style.

17: I'm your huckleberry
17: Why Ryan Suter, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.
20: Fights not with you, Foligno
17: I beg to differ sir
20: I was just foolin about
17: I wasn't

docwink.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WildWin27 said:

If you have a goalie who stopped 42 consecutive shots and 52 of 54, overall, you go with him the next game.  That was a very bad decision to switch goalies because, "it's what we do."  If the staff learns from this, it was the last time Fleury sees ice time, as long as Gus is playing on his head.  We don't have to excuse poor coaching decisions.  It's these types of decisions that keep us from having truly great chances to win in the playoffs.  BG may have been involved in the decision, as well, though.  So it could be on him, too.  

I have to fully disagree with your take on this.  MAF was the correct goalie to put in. We're not going to go 16-0 in the postseason.  Attrition is part of it. Goalies lose a tremendous amount of fluids each game, and going 1.5 games to start the series when you don't have to will have consequences down the road.

Some may say, well, Oettinger started, so why can't Gus? Well, Oettinger had to start because Dallas' backup isn't very good and they were desperate. To rehydrate after that one probably takes an extra day.  And, as some were calling for, pull Fleury after the 4th goal, restretching out and going in cold can lead to injuries, though, with a 24 year old it isn't as risky. We need Gus at his best, and he will be come Friday. We have the depth, it isn't depth unless you use it.

But, there were other factors involved:

1. Dallas' intensity was going to be very high coming out.  Fleury's been there many times. 
  2. We were down Ek and Hartman. Ek probably could have gone had we lost game 1. I don't know where Hartman stands, but it could be extra rest for his knee helps him moving forward.  
  3. Zuccarello is right, no help for flower. In fact, what has happened to Zuccarello? In the offseason, I'd be interested in trading his last year.  To me, he looks like he's playing what the age on his driver's license says.
  4. Fleury really needed to come up with a save on that breakaway shorthanded, but it was a good snipe by Hintz.  The real problem, however, wasn't the goal, it was the mess that led to the breakaway.  I don't know who blew it, but that was really bad.

Where I think we completely failed was when the game was out of hand we should have been taking runs at Dallas players and we didn't take advantage of that.  It was 6-3 at the time, who cares if they get 10? Take the liberties when the opportunity presents itself. 

Also, the officiating was very proactive. I've said that unless we are willing to embarrass referees and take games out of control, we won't get the calls we're looking for.  Last night's officials felt that threat.  They gave out 10 minute misconducts like candy, even Reaves got one for participating.  This game could have gotten real ugly, and they saved themselves a lot of scrutiny and paperwork.  

There should be no long faces this morning.  We accomplished what we set out to do. We come back to our building 1-1. Now we need to hold serve at home.  For as good as Goose2 was in game 1, he's better in our building.  Will there be a chorus of "Let's go Norm Green" chants in St. Paul?  For those attending the games, we need to ramp up our game too!  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WildWin27 said:

If Gus were in net, it would have given the Wild a very good chance to go up 2-0.  To assume we would be 1-1 after 2 games is a mentality that will end in a series loss more often than not.

A "very good" chance? I don't think so. That's not how NHL playoffs work. If you were expecting a sweep after game 1, you were fooling yourself. 

Boston with Ullmark, who's had a better season than Gus even, just gave up 6 to Florida.

The Kings stole the 1st game of their series with an epic comeback, but the Oilers evened it up last night. Seattle upset the Avs in game 1, you think they're gonna be 2-0 after tonight?

Carolina will be the only team with a 2-0 lead in this round. 

We can rage about the decision to start MAF, but the fact of the matter is that we were most likely coming back to MN tied 1-1 in the series regardless of who started. Now Gus got some extra rest and hopefully will be ready to go the rest of the way because I doubt we'll see MAF again unless Gus falls off the rails. 

• Like 2

Baby Wild lost 3-2 in OT. I was wrong about it being in Des Moines, apparently the Wild finished ahead of Rockford. The Wall was in goal and took the loss.  Hopefully, they don't play McIntyre game 2.  

I haven't watched the highlights yet, but on paper there were 2 concerning things: Rossi had no points (a player like him should be dominating), O'Rourke didn't suit up (don't know if it was injury related).  

Rockford and Iowa had a lot of games against each other this year, the recurring theme of those games was OT. We won most of them 3-3, but playoffs isn't that way.  These are 2 very evenly matched teams.  

6 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I have to fully disagree with your take on this.  MAF was the correct goalie to put in. We're not going to go 16-0 in the postseason.  Attrition is part of it. Goalies lose a tremendous amount of fluids each game, and going 1.5 games to start the series when you don't have to will have consequences down the road.

Excellent point.  

I don't believe that having Gus in during that game gets us the win.  Zuc was correct, Fleury didn't have any help.  I like using the depth.  One of our best players last night was Sundqvist.  Sure wish we could have had Ek, Alex and Klingberg in that game as well.  The rested players that are not "Banged Up" like Evason said may have helped.  Hopefully we rejuvenate a bit and play smart disciplined hockey on Friday.  

Canes up 2-0 on NYI

Edmonton and Kings are tied 1-1

Boston and Florida tied 1-1

Wild and Dallas tied 1-1

every other underdog is up 1-0 and playing tonight.  It looks like 1-1 is the theme of this round.  NYI should be tied, but Sorokin let in a tough goal in OT to lose it.

5 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

A "very good" chance? I don't think so. That's not how NHL playoffs work. If you were expecting a sweep after game 1, you were fooling yourself. 

Boston with Ullmark, who's had a better season than Gus even, just gave up 6 to Florida.

The Kings stole the 1st game of their series with an epic comeback, but the Oilers evened it up last night. Seattle upset the Avs in game 1, you think they're gonna be 2-0 after tonight?

We can rage about the decision to start MAF, but the fact of the matter is that we were most likely coming back to MN tied 1-1 in the series regardless of who started. Now Gus got some extra rest and hopefully will be ready to go the rest of the way because I doubt we'll see MAF again unless Gus falls off the rails. 

All you have to do is look at the quality chances Fleury let in on half the amount of shots.  Of course Gus could have had an off night, too, but his typical night would have kept the Stars to 3 or fewer in this game.  Yes, they had a very good chance to come away with a win had Gus started.

8 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

Also, Otter played 62 games this season.  Rest cannot be an excuse in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

There should be no long faces this morning.  We accomplished what we set out to do. We come back to our building 1-1. Now we need to hold serve at home.  

Right? If we were told we'd be coming home tied 1-1 before the puck drop in game 1, we'd have been happy with that. Shucks, we aren't going to sweep the Stars.. 

I feel for Dean. The MAF decision was unconventional, but a lot of the hatred toward it is just because we lost. If we'd won, the storyline would be that Dean's a genius for using his goalie depth. 

It was worth a shot, we tried it and it didn't work. Fine, now we just stick with Gus. Its not like starting MAF is what prevented us from winning. It was the whole team that had a let down in game 2. From the top-line, and top defensive pairing, on down. 

Now if we win game 3 and MAF starts game 4... then we can bust out the pitchforks! 

3 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

It was worth a shot, we tried it and it didn't work. Fine, now we just stick with Gus. Its not like starting MAF is what prevented us from winning. It was the whole team that had a let down in game 2. From the top-line, and top defensive pairing, on down. 

Now if we win game 3 and MAF starts game 4... then we can bust out the pitchforks! 

There's a lot to work with here for the coaching staff.  We completely got loose and out of our structure.  If MAF is going to be successful in net, he must have our structure at this stage.  Now everyone's attention will be had as we have to tighten up the defense.  

I forgot to mention, I thought Merrill was unable to keep up last night.  Most nights he can get by, but Dallas' speed seemed too much for him.  I'd look for him being replaced on Friday.

As for winning game 3 and MAF starting game 4, I think conventionally that's true.  However, if we go deep into OT in game 3 to win it, I would once again advocate for MAF in game 4. I believe MAF has a history of responding well after getting shelled the game before, and, as I said above, rehydrating from a long OT game probably takes an extra day.  Look at how Oettinger looked last night, he wasn't the same as in game 1.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

There's a lot to work with here for the coaching staff.  We completely got loose and out of our structure.  If MAF is going to be successful in net, he must have our structure at this stage.  Now everyone's attention will be had as we have to tighten up the defense.  

I forgot to mention, I thought Merrill was unable to keep up last night.  Most nights he can get by, but Dallas' speed seemed too much for him.  I'd look for him being replaced on Friday.

As for winning game 3 and MAF starting game 4, I think conventionally that's true.  However, if we go deep into OT in game 3 to win it, I would once again advocate for MAF in game 4. I believe MAF has a history of responding well after getting shelled the game before, and, as I said above, rehydrating from a long OT game probably takes an extra day.  Look at how Oettinger looked last night, he wasn't the same as in game 1.  

These aren't back-to-back games.  Not starting our best goalie will absolutly cost us the series and potentially cost Dean his job, unless BG has had something to do with it.  This rest stuff is not an excuse for a Stanley Cup-winning team.  Otter also played 62 games during the season!  There's no reason for Gus to be tired.

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

Some may say, well, Oettinger started, so why can't Gus? Well, Oettinger had to start because Dallas' backup isn't very good and they were desperate. To rehydrate after that one probably takes an extra day.  And, as some were calling for, pull Fleury after the 4th goal, restretching out and going in cold can lead to injuries, though, with a 24 year old it isn't as risky. We need Gus at his best, and he will be come Friday. We have the depth, it isn't depth unless you use it.

But, there were other factors involved:

1. Dallas' intensity was going to be very high coming out.  Fleury's been there many times. 
  2. We were down Ek and Hartman. Ek probably could have gone had we lost game 1. I don't know where Hartman stands, but it could be extra rest for his knee helps him moving forward.  
  3. Zuccarello is right, no help for flower. In fact, what has happened to Zuccarello? In the offseason, I'd be interested in trading his last year.  To me, he looks like he's playing what the age on his driver's license says.
  4. Fleury really needed to come up with a save on that breakaway shorthanded, but it was a good snipe by Hintz.  The real problem, however, wasn't the goal, it was the mess that led to the breakaway.  I don't know who blew it, but that was really bad.

Where I think we completely failed was when the game was out of hand we should have been taking runs at Dallas players and we didn't take advantage of that.  It was 6-3 at the time, who cares if they get 10? Take the liberties when the opportunity presents itself. 

Also, the officiating was very proactive. I've said that unless we are willing to embarrass referees and take games out of control, we won't get the calls we're looking for.  Last night's officials felt that threat.  They gave out 10 minute misconducts like candy, even Reaves got one for participating.  This game could have gotten real ugly, and they saved themselves a lot of scrutiny and paperwork.  

There should be no long faces this morning.  We accomplished what we set out to do. We come back to our building 1-1. Now we need to hold serve at home.  For as good as Goose2 was in game 1, he's better in our building.  Will there be a chorus of "Let's go Norm Green" chants in St. Paul?  For those attending the games, we need to ramp up our game too!  

You make good points, the goalie one is still incorrect.   Having goaltended for 25+ years, I can tell you that a professional goalie would be fully recovered with a day and a half rest.  We finally have a goalie that can steal us games on his own.  For the Wild to be successful, they need to ride that wave as long as possilbe.  I agree Zucc should be on the chopping block, at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

Personally I thought our entire D core, with the exception of Faber looked tired and slow.  A lot of swipes and misses at the puck that indicates either tired or sore bodies.  

I don't buy the "fatigue" factor narrative that is so commonly overplayed in sports either.  It's one of those perceptions that are pandered and repeated to the point that not only fans and media, but coaches fall victim to.

Gus is the better goalie.  He has proven it all season long.  Unfortunately, most people in this world perceive this "fatigue" factor to be more significant that actual merit which blows my mind sometimes.

Is fatigue significant for a young athlete competing after a day of rest?  Physically, I bet it is negligible.  Mentally?  That is probably the more accurate narrative but even that is completely subjective.

2 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

I don't buy the "fatigue" factor narrative that is so commonly overplayed in sports either.  It's one of those perceptions that are pandered and repeated to the point that not only fans and media, but coaches fall victim to.

Gus is the better goalie.  He has proven it all season long.  Unfortunately, most people in this world perceive this "fatigue" factor to be more significant that actual merit which blows my mind sometimes.

Is fatigue significant for a young athlete competing after a day of rest?  Physically, I bet it is negligible.  Mentally?  That is probably the more accurate narrative but even that is completely subjective.

YES!  You get it!