Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wilderness Walk: Team Fails, Wild Lose Game 2

20 hours ago, WildWin27 said:

You make good points, the goalie one is still incorrect.   Having goaltended for 25+ years, I can tell you that a professional goalie would be fully recovered with a day and a half rest.  We finally have a goalie that can steal us games on his own.  For the Wild to be successful, they need to ride that wave as long as possilbe.  I agree Zucc should be on the chopping block, at this point.

Clarification: I am not saying there is a fatigue factor, I'm saying there would be hydration issues which is different.  I don't think Goose2 would have been too tired to perform well, I think using the extra time to rehydrate and get back to 100% was useful, specifically since we had a capable backup.

I thought Oettinger looked a little off in game 2, but we never really got to challenge him much as our skaters didn't really put that much pressure on him.  To me, the whole team looked out of gas for pretty much the whole game.  

WW27 makes an excellent point. I have not played goalie with all the pads on for any significant time other than trying it out in my youth.  But I have read they lose a significant amount of water each game.  There's a reason they try not to use goalies in b2b situations.  Playing a game and a half one night should add to that fluid loss.  But WW27 says, with experience, that he should have been alright.  Mentally it might have been tougher.  

So, are you saying that Oettinger's less than stellar game was due to mental fatigue? Or could he still be feeling the affects of the physical drain of fluids?  Perhaps they use IVs to get the fluids back in? Would you be willing to take us through the process of rehydrating a goalie at the high levels? (Hopefully this will come with a better explanation than a case of beer in the parking lot with the team)

Well that’s good for the Wild, but sucks for him. Really sucks to see a guy injured like that. Hope he recovers soon.

Agreed, bummer to see guys get hurt. Pavelski is weird cause he’s had a few land on the ice with my head moves over the years. Dumba isn’t dirty or targeting heads. Yes he throws hits, hippers, open-ice, etc. Part of hockey. Protect yourself. As a veteran, you should know how the playoffs are. Guys are gonna finish checks. I can only feel so bad cause it’s a tough game. 

MN lost to Dallas without Pavelski so it’s true the Stars will miss him but not like they’re in huge trouble. I wanna see how Dean and DeBoer adjust as the series goes along. Last year Dean didn’t change much and the team fizzled while STL appeared to dictate a style of game that did not favor MN. With evenly matched teams the systems and ability to impose their game plan is so important to win.

33 minutes ago, Protec said:

Agreed, bummer to see guys get hurt. Pavelski is weird cause he’s had a few land on the ice with my head moves over the years. Dumba isn’t dirty or targeting heads. Yes he throws hits, hippers, open-ice, etc. Part of hockey. Protect yourself. As a veteran, you should know how the playoffs are. Guys are gonna finish checks. I can only feel so bad cause it’s a tough game. 

MN lost to Dallas without Pavelski so it’s true the Stars will miss him but not like they’re in huge trouble. I wanna see how Dean and DeBoer adjust as the series goes along. Last year Dean didn’t change much and the team fizzled while STL appeared to dictate a style of game that did not favor MN. With evenly matched teams the systems and ability to impose their game plan is so important to win.

Yeah Pavelski has had a few pretty bad head hits before, which is what makes this one even scarier, as CTE tends to compound each time. Dumba didn't through a dirty hit, I agree, you probably could have repeat the same play 10 times over and Pavelski would have landed on his ass or shoulder, etc and been a little sore but no worse for wear. I think what happened is the stick hitting him in the face kind of dazed him and some when he went down he wasn't able to keep his neck straight to protect his head, which collided with the ice. It's just unfortunate it turnout that way.

I also agree that coaching is going to be a big challenge for the series with the two teams pretty even. I think Dean is going to have his hands full as Deboer is a pretty damn good coach and Dean isn't the best at making changes to adapt to the other team's game plan.