Hockey Wilderness

Article: How NHL-Ready Is Jesper Wallstedt?

What happens to Gus if they keep MAF to mentor the Wall? 

If MAF is only playing 30% of the game, that means Wallstedt is getting the other 70%. That seems like a lot to give a guy just getting his first taste of the NHL while we will undoubtedly be trying to make a playoff push. 

Depending on what MAF is looking for on his next contract, could we see him resigned and the Wall get another portion of the year down in the A? I can't imagine there will be too many takers for Gustavsson after his terrible year. At this point, he has just 1 good year to his name and it came behind a pretty good blueline ahead of him.. and then fell apart in the playoffs. 

If they move him, it'll be a sell-low kind of trade.. 

• Like 4

I think they should take a mulligan on the year and bolster the people in front of them first.  Fleury and Gus can still steal games or play reasonably well if the structure is intact.  I feel the amount of 4-6 goal games sure went down midway through the season.  I definitely think the super ugly start played a role in things.  I think Gus is safe, and Fleury's ruler of his destiny.

Wallstedt isn't going anywhere.  Maybe having him play under more experienced AHL players wouldn't hurt.  The NHL D is too chaotic right now to bring in a new guy.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 2

Great article. I’m for keeping Gus and bringing JW up next year. Use the $3M savings for a defensive upgrade. Hopefully he gets a few starts this year as well. I’d like to get your opinion on Gus as well!!

• Like 1

Looking at the standings, the Wild are 6 points behind the Kings, but would only be 5 points back if they didn't give up their OT point, and they face the Kings again in the last few games. The Kings already have the tiebreaker, so that 1 point makes the odds quite a bit worse for the Wild to make the playoffs.

Wild were desperate against Nashville, who has a very strong OT & SO record. Don't think pulling the goalie against Vegas was the right move. Makes sense to pull a goalie in regulation because you are going to get zero points if you don't score, but giving up a standings point vs. Vegas all but sealed their fate. They could have won in OT or the shootout without pulling the goalie.

Vegas wasn't far above .500 in bonus hockey while Nashville was 8-1 other than the game against the Wild, so that move was a much better option.

• Haha 1

Verified Member
8 hours ago, greg said:

I love Fleury but it's time to move on.  Don't resign him, save that money and upgrade elsewhere.  

Fluery is one of Billy's boys. If Fluery wants to stay he will stay and Fluery has already indicated it's here or retirement. Don't be surprised if you see him get more than a one year deal. So Fluery stays simply because he wants to regardless of it's the best thing for the team.  But yet somehow they are thinking of moving Rossi? Makes perfect sense! 

• Like 2

Verified Member

Great comment, probably the smart move. Highly doubt it happens. :classic_laugh:

I think a 1-year 2.5M deal is incoming for MAF. He's been really good. His style isn't a problem with me. If the defense was really good, the Wild's goaltending would be fine. 

I would have traded Gus last off season since I've got Wallstedt in the on-deck circle for the next #1 after the cap penalties. It would have been risky to rely on MAF or rush Wally in. Therfore the deal to Gus with no trade protection makes him the odd-man out for me. I'd rather have my goalie of the future learn with MAF than lazy Gus. 

What was Gus worth last Summer? What's he gonna be worth to another NHL team now? Personally, I like MAF better. Lazy Gus can get hot but this year was pretty ho-hum since the bar was raised.

• Like 1

Verified Member
19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Fluery is one of Billy's boys. If Fluery wants to stay he will stay and Fluery has already indicated it's here or retirement. Don't be surprised if you see him get more than a one year deal. So Fluery stays simply because he wants to regardless of it's the best thing for the team.  But yet somehow they are thinking of moving Rossi? Makes perfect sense! 

I don't think Guerin trusts soft Gus. The deal he signed him for makes him a nice tradeable asset. His cost isn't beans either. You could argue Stalock did as well as Gus did this season on a way less expensive contract.

Guerin needs to look at the big picture and make some tough calls. It's almost time to say goodbye to buyout excuses and be ready to go. The old goalie precedent has been set, no need for examples. If MAF wants to play another year or two, I agree Billy will give him a contract. 

13 hours ago, greg said:

I love Fleury but it's time to move on.  Don't resign him, save that money and upgrade elsewhere.  

A month ago I would have agreed with you. I'd be OK with another year of the Flower and Gus to give Wally another year in the A.

• Like 1

Verified Member

Put me on the side of keeping Goose at least another year. I warned about resigning him for this much money and recommended about half of it. The pressure was too much for him, and I think he would have done better with half the salary and much less pressure. 

That salary + the buyouts meant that we put a lot of stock in his abilities, and that he was the main re-signing of the season. Just handing him the #1 duties was a lot of pressure, giving him a larger than earned contract was too much. Confidence is such a big part in goalies and pressure added into confidence sometimes doesn't end well. 

Giving him a shot at the #1 job was simply enough pressure. Build the salary once he has earned that spot. Last year was a really good result for him in 40 games. But, he needed to prove he could do it for 55 before being paid like a low level #1. Salary should always follow performance. 

• Like 1