Hockey Wilderness

Article: John Hynes's Development of Young Players Doesn't Bode Well For the Wild's Future

Tom Schreier

With the NJ players, they seemed a little young to take the league by storm. Perhaps he actually adjusted their games not to be a defensive liability on the ice when they're there. Hughes and Hischier look to have grown as good players though.

I think Glass' comments are important. He says Hynes helped him a lot with his game. I think Hynes likes a full 200' game in his players and most top 5 picks do not have that play in their bags. 

Here is the optimistic part of Hynes' coaching: He gives the young players elevated roles on the team. We saw Evason be leery of this. Look at the TOI for Faber who is thriving. Boldy seems to be doing better, Rossi isn't suffering at all. Maybe Hynes likes young players who can play the 200' game. Lucky for him, those are the kinds of players we drafted! Even Dino and Yurov have those in their game. He'll probably like our cavalry of defenders too who are puck moving D with enough size and strength to defend. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

With the NJ players, they seemed a little young to take the league by storm. Perhaps he actually adjusted their games not to be a defensive liability on the ice when they're there. Hughes and Hischier look to have grown as good players though.

I think Glass' comments are important. He says Hynes helped him a lot with his game. I think Hynes likes a full 200' game in his players and most top 5 picks do not have that play in their bags. 

Here is the optimistic part of Hynes' coaching: He gives the young players elevated roles on the team. We saw Evason be leery of this. Look at the TOI for Faber who is thriving. Boldy seems to be doing better, Rossi isn't suffering at all. Maybe Hynes likes young players who can play the 200' game. Lucky for him, those are the kinds of players we drafted! Even Dino and Yurov have those in their game. He'll probably like our cavalry of defenders too who are puck moving D with enough size and strength to defend. 

Hynes had 5 years with NJ to develop just a playoff team so that we could compare 1'st round failures with DE and he couldn't do it.

DE had teams that weren't expected to make the playoffs and got them there with 100+ point seasons.

This whole DE ouster is not gonna look good for ole Billy G. My bet is Deano, without a team as of now, will win a 1'st round series before Hynzy will. JMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

I only heard bill on radio not willing to answer how many years or how much for hynes. . 3 x 1.75 . Sounds fair. It was just weird bill wouldn’t answer question when asked multiple times. 

This is the dictator aspect of BG’s personality.  He should understand that that info will come out and just say it.  Instead his brain says “you can’t tell me what to do”.  It’s his Achilles heal.  Again, if he wins that becomes a lovable quirk, if he doesn’t win it becomes sinister

• Like 1

Reading people are mad about Brodin hit. I find it confusing that we supposedly have a gritty tough team yet we let our stars get run all the time with no real response . Foligno is making 4 and I would assume part of his job is to protect teammates. Yet he wastes his time with nobody’s who play 4 minutes a night . Teams run our best guys and we cross check ankles . 
     2 ways to protect your teammates. 1 Have a lights out power play that makes you pay for stupidity . Or 2 run there stars not there nobodies. The should have been running Mcdavid and Leon. Then teams would think twice about being stupid.  If someone runs a NYR star player. , they better keep their head up for years because trouba is going to get you. Not the wild . They just let kappy and brodin get run and no one pays. Not really a gritty tough team. 

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Dean said:

Reading people are mad about Brodin hit. I find it confusing that we supposedly have a gritty tough team yet we let our stars get run all the time with no real response . Foligno is making 4 and I would assume part of his job is to protect teammates. Yet he wastes his time with nobody’s who play 4 minutes a night . Teams run our best guys and we cross check ankles . 
     2 ways to protect your teammates. 1 Have a lights out power play that makes you pay for stupidity . Or 2 run there stars not there nobodies. The should have been running Mcdavid and Leon. Then teams would think twice about being stupid.  If someone runs a NYR star player. , they better keep their head up for years because trouba is going to get you. Not the wild . They just let kappy and brodin get run and no one pays. Not really a gritty tough team. 

Hinzy said they shouldn't have retaliated at all. 

I don't think the Wild should be, nor ever will be, a full throttle offensive style team.  It puts strain on the goaltending and defense, and we've seen what terrible defense looks like just this season.  I fully understand wanting some lights out 80-100 point scorers on the team...but the Wild had 2-3 a few seasons ago and STILL couldn't make that work in crunch time.

If new players come in fully fleshed out and lean towards the defensive game, I think the Wild have shown that 3-4 goals a night isn't an utter impossibility.  I would much rather make it easier for Gus and Wallstedt to come in and know, "Hey, if only let 2-3 in a game, we're probably good enough to win any night.  Asking them to stop 4 to 5 per game if they play balls to the wall is going to burn out quickly.

I get the sense Hynes is going to err on the side of caution, while still letting new players do what they need to do to succeed.  Lots of players are going to age out, but I think the Wild have enough structure to not let things get out of hand going forward.

Edited by Citizen Strife

6 hours ago, Dean said:

I don't even need to rehash my position on this. You are spot on because our PP is, well it's lights out, but in a different way.

5 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Hinzy said they shouldn't have retaliated at all. 

Heinzy also had a team in Nashville leading the league in fighting majors. Evander Kane is a big guy who fights well, Draisaitl is pretty big too, but running McDavid, yes...if you can catch him. I suspect that may have been a problem.

3 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

defenseman Jonas Brodin is going to miss significant time with an upper-body injury.

Just exactly what is considered upper body? Would the lower back count? I'd be thinking middle body is a better description. And the way Kane followed through on the hit seeing the numbers, dirty play and boarding. I wonder if it will be reviewed?

18 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Just exactly what is considered upper body? Would the lower back count? I'd be thinking middle body is a better description. And the way Kane followed through on the hit seeing the numbers, dirty play and boarding. I wonder if it will be reviewed?

Come on...you know the answer. It's a Mn Wild player! "No big loss." - Gary Bettman

3 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

Come on...you know the answer. It's a Mn Wild player! "No big loss." - Gary Bettman

Yes, and you know my response to that! Meltdown mode!

I was looking at Brodin's injury update. Originally he was listed as LBI out unknown. Later the same day it change to UBI week to week. 

I've had my back go out a few times. I limped around for a long time, went to the chiropractor for help, took muscle relaxers until it was realigned. To me, the way Brodin went off, that's what it looked like to me. And just getting him feeling better isn't the end, he's got to get everything set right and then restrengthen so it will stay in place. 

So, when I said middle body injury is probably more accurate, that's where I think it is. Also, after the hit in Vancouver, he didn't look right, I think Kane just finished him off completely. And, it was boarding. A meltdown in Edmonton would have been warranted. I think I'd wait for the next non-call and embarrass the hell out of the referees. 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:13 PM, mnfaninnc said:

Looked like a collar bone to me the way he skated off.

56 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Really? I did not see him holding an arm and when he went down on all 4s it didn't look like he was weaker in one area. What tips you off to this?

Actually, that's why I thought it might be the CB is because he skated off holding his left arm I thought. But, come think of it, when they had a shot of him walking down the tunnel, I don't recall him holding the arm so maybe not.