Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Isn't Kirill Kaprizov Playing To His Standards?

Brevan Bane

He's a perennial slow starter but not a bad starter. This year is not  a slow start it's a bad start. -11 and numerous atrocious turnovers. Just when we thought we didn't have to witness anymore Dumba gross turnovers Kaprizov says hold my beer! The whole team needs to improve before he can really turn it around. 

His entire body language looks different to me when he's on the ice. Like something is distracting him. He has that look once in a while like he's wondering if he left the oven on in his apartment. As the article states the Wild offense starts and stops with Kaprizov which is part of the problem. At the rate they are playing him he's going to be gassed before April.

• Like 3

The most concerning things for me are his turns and the turnovers. It's as if he's trying to do too much. 

1. The only difference I see from year to year is he has a heavy A on his chest. He is very proud of this A, but I wonder if it is weighing on him, especially with the record?
  2. His turns do not look as tight as they were before the Jets' injury. Something is off with his skating.
  3. Fumbling the stickhandling happens to all great players, but to my eye test, this is the thing that sticks out the most. And they are glaring turnovers that lead to grade A chances the other way. Couple that with an A and the pressure, I just have to wonder how personal he is taking every mistake and every loss. This might be where he needs to sit down with Foligno and Spurgeon and settle down.
  4. I get that a point/game isn't optimal, but if anyone needed a multi-goal night, it would be Kaprizov. I think if he can get that, he goes on a run. 
  5. Not sure what outside thing he can do. Hartman shaved off his beard. Some guys get hair cuts. I think he changed stick brands to warrior recently??? It would be real nice if his family could get to Sweden to watch him play and spend some time with him!
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, MacGyver said:

His entire body language looks different to me when he's on the ice. Like something is distracting him. He has that look once in a while like he's wondering if he left the oven on in his apartment. As the article states the Wild offense starts and stops with Kaprizov which is part of the problem. At the rate they are playing him he's going to be gassed before April.

It's actually very concerning when I see it. He looks very disengaged from the team. He looks like he is developing that "I'm outa here" kinda look. 

I have a bad feeling he's going to try and get moved to a team that wants to be a Stanley cup contender, not this perennial 1st round exit thing.

I really hope I'm wrong and just over analyzing his facial expressions. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Perhaps this is the Minnesota jaded, pessimism seeping into his soul. As the all the bright lights and excitement of his rookie and sophomore years have now faded, it makes you wonder if he is starting to piece things together and starting to see the writing on the wall.

You wonder if he's asking himself in his quiet hours, "What did I get myself into?"

• Like 2

Why is everyone acting like giveaways are a new thing.  He averaged .81 giveaways a game last year.  Yes, the per game average is even worse, but it's gotten worse as every team knows both Zuccarello and Kaprizov will force the puck to each other.  Teams have been pouncing on pucks between those two since well before the 15 games this season.

• Like 1

So what this story is proposing is Trade Kaprisov....   the entire team is not in sync they $%&^ around with trying to be cute with their plays, passes  they lose the puck circling the zone trying to get a lane., the puck jumps their stick .....  no urgency shown.  If they were winning with the same effort that would mean the goal tending was playing up to their level they finished last year with.....

Maybe the changes made in the off season are causing more harm in the locker room than expected.... Getting Spurg back  may give  a lift to the porous defense and help Flower and Gus regain their confidence and swagger..... Let's not give up hope!

23 hours ago, raithis said:

Why is everyone acting like giveaways are a new thing.  He averaged .81 giveaways a game last year.  Yes, the per game average is even worse, but it's gotten worse as every team knows both Zuccarello and Kaprizov will force the puck to each other.  Teams have been pouncing on pucks between those two since well before the 15 games this season.

True, but the giveaways lately are resulting in goals against.

I wonder if Kaprizov needs a more physicalish winger on his opposite side  like #17 or   and a more faster center like #23 ,  is speed really that important once youre in the zone ?    It be nice if that 1st line had more grit besides #97    just thinking out loud 

2 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

#17 would be good for taking runs at the end board, but would contribute nothing else on 97’s line

Yeah theres really no good options on the current roster but if its something needed eventually , Rossi ,,Zucc  bring not much grit  maybe Rossi adds some in a couple years as he progresses

On 11/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, Greenbean said:

I really hope I'm wrong and just over analyzing his facial expressions. 

I think it may be the A, and he is taking the losses personally. I believe he's very proud of the A, but I still think he has trouble expressing himself in English, even to his teammates. I see frustration, with no outlet.

I don't think his interpreter is allowed in locker room meetings. And, it wouldn't have the same affect.

Edited by mnfaninnc
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, raithis said:

There's more than one angle to get pucks to each other. They need to adjust to the adjustment. If I'm an opponent, I'm sitting on the east-west pass.

On 11/18/2023 at 12:29 PM, Dango said:

Yeah theres really no good options on the current roster but if its something needed eventually , Rossi ,,Zucc  bring not much grit  maybe Rossi adds some in a couple years as he progresses

I thought elevating Boldy at least added some needed size. The problem with that is our 2nd scoring line doesn't really score.