Hockey Wilderness

Article: Gamethread: Wild vs. Stars (5:00 p.m.)

Thomas Williams

Just now, WheelSnipeCelly said:

100% — it would be a different story if he was the player that pushed the Wild past the first series, but that clearly didn't happen. He's #2 in hits in the NHL, but I'm not sure what the going rate is for $/hit...

Dude was a complete an total liability in the playoffs last year, but hey, GMBG says I'll just give him $4milx4. WTF? Make him play a bit this year and then he may earn a $2milx2 if he was lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Doug weight time ? Mackey and Judd said that was Billy’s guy. Plan b 

It's a trash roster and is going to be for the foreseeable future given the contracts he gave out. As much as I'm not a big Dean-O guy, this really isn't on him. It's Billy's roster, but the coach is the first to fall so sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Doug weight time ? Mackey and Judd said that was Billy’s guy. Plan b 

Is he currently coaching? I'm intrigued on how much longer Dean has if the season continues with a .400 or lower. Yes, there's been quite a few injuries (Spurg, Bolds, Freddy, Goose), but that's becoming less and less of an excuse. I assume Dean has at least until Thanksgiving since the Wild's next two games are in Sweden.

Hopefully the team bonding over Swedish meatballs unites them and gets them on the right track, otherwise this is going to be a long season.

• Like 1

Well 7 of 8 goals given up on special teams.

Taking nearly 10 penalties while knowing you have the worst PK in the NHL.

Some guys appear to be going through the motions despite being the most important game all year. 

Really don't care what they do next. They should all be ashamed.

• Like 2

I don’t know much about Doug weights coaching style. Mackey and Judd said if we lost on road trip then he would be hired Friday before game against stars. Bold predictions for a podcast that’s friends with Billy . It’s just first time I’ve heard a coaches name linked to bill . They talk to bill so I found interesting 

Watching a Colorado game other day their broadcast guy interviewed joe Sakic. He asked why you don’t see teams around the league having offense coaches for 5v5  offense. Teams have coaches for defense but not offense 5v5. Joe said forward players are so creative that you just let them create.  For practice the forwards work on skill.  Just skill practices not an offense 5v5 practice.  
     I just found it interesting and something  I didn’t know or if it’s true around league like broadcaster said. 

Dean really doesn't seem to know how to get consistent effort from this group. This is not the same team that played against Buffalo the other night (yes, I know it was a loss, but the effort was there).  Also I don't know if it's an age thing, but this team never starts at puck drop. Dallas is also an old team, and they don't seem to have that issue.

Also Johansson needs to get kicked out. All he does is bring the puck in  with speed before........losing it unceremoniously in the most half-hearted effort to protect the puck.

Time for Dean to go. He clearly can’t get this team to play or even ready to play. Injuries aside, the Wild have players that don’t skate. Ripe the A off Krill. You have to play a 200 foot game and show leadership. His lack of results, stupid behind the back passing, and increasing turnovers makes him a liability on the ice. Him and Mats are negative on ice players. Mats at least hustles back and often picks up his man. Krill stops skating by the blue line and coasts only to watch his guy score.  His 1 in 50 brilliant pass for a good play doesn’t outweigh his inability to make good decisions with the puck. At $9M he’s worth trading before everyone figures out he’s not worth it. Dallas showed how to defend him and the rest of the league is catching on. 

Uffda that was a bad loss.  Stars are very good but we looked like the Todd Richards Wild clubs.  Chinese fire drill offense.  Dean gives 97 36 and 12 a big middle finger by playing 4th line on 1st PP.  

Doesnt look good for Deano. Special teams are abysmal.. AGAIN this year.  
a scoring streak by 97 makes everyone look smart again but even 97 doesn’t have his magic.  
At least our goalie situation is solid….fleury was doing his cartwheel routine tonight.  Bro that’s an 8.  Real bad effort top to bottom tonight boys.  At least we’ve got Foligno locked up thru 2030. 

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Haha 2

Man what is going on with Kaprizov?? Yeah he's getting his points but he looks totally disinterested out there. A simple poke check by a D man at the blue line and the puck is going the other way for a scoring chance. He's not hitting anyone and no battle level. No Grit!!! Teams aren't needing to focus on him like they had been. 

The kid does not handle losing well I think. He is in for a long couple years. 

• Sad 1