Hockey Wilderness

Article: Could the Biggest Hole In the Wild's Prospect Pool Hold Them Back

Justin Wiggins

Justin, as you point out all those teams have that "big" impactful defenceman or the elite one.

The Wild do not currently possess that big elite D-man and as you point out there is potential for Faber or Lambos. I would say Faber has the best opportunity. Is he Makar, not right now, but I believe he is on that path. Do we want to count on one elite, or could three great D-man work the same way in Faber, Lambos and Hunt pair that with Brodin still being in his prime.

I'm not sure I want to go looking for what you say is missing when we have a stacked prospect defenceman pool now. The 1C discussion, just like the first line D-man missing questions are still yet to be determined with what we see coming in the future and the salary cap implications. 

• Like 1

I'd have to argue that this is not the vision of the drafting gurus. Judd doesn't really care about the big hulking defender. He wants to send out an army of guys who can skate, puck move, and are big enough to defend. His draft picks are typically guys who are 5'11"-6'2". He wants them to have flexibility and the lateral movement guys in this size range can bring. 

Now, I feel we need at least one larger guy and maybe O'Rourke can grow into that. K. Miller might be the solution. But, it appears as if this guy is going to have to be an import.

Now, what happens if you've got 6 smart, excellent skating, puck moving, upper middleweight class defenders? I think you can win with the collection of guys you can keep rolling out there. It's like another coach saying: "Does this pair of defenders ever leave the ice" because they look interchangeable.

I think we'd need to concentrate on that right side as that is where the size is needed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I'd have to argue that this is not the vision of the drafting gurus. Judd doesn't really care about the big hulking defender. He wants to send out an army of guys who can skate, puck move, and are big enough to defend. His draft picks are typically guys who are 5'11"-6'2". He wants them to have flexibility and the lateral movement guys in this size range can bring. 

Now, I feel we need at least one larger guy and maybe O'Rourke can grow into that. K. Miller might be the solution. But, it appears as if this guy is going to have to be an import.

Now, what happens if you've got 6 smart, excellent skating, puck moving, upper middleweight class defenders? I think you can win with the collection of guys you can keep rolling out there. It's like another coach saying: "Does this pair of defenders ever leave the ice" because they look interchangeable.

I think we'd need to concentrate on that right side as that is where the size is needed.

So can we go outside for a 1C and right side D?

Jeopardize dollars to resign Faber, Wallsted, Hunt, Beckman, Kaprizov.....what to do with Spurgeon and his $7.5m/yr.....I don't think so..

I'd stick with the Great6 Lambos/Faber/Brodin/Spacek/Hunt/Masters (7th Spurgeon) and not counting on a struggling 6'- 0 O'Rourke in IA

13 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

So can we go outside for a 1C and right side D?

Jeopardize dollars to resign Faber, Wallsted, Hunt, Beckman, Kaprizov.....what to do with Spurgeon and his $7.5m/yr.....I don't think so..

I'd stick with the Great6 Lambos/Faber/Brodin/Spacek/Hunt/Masters (7th Spurgeon) and not counting on a struggling 6'- 0 O'Rourke in IA

Yes, I think we can. And trading off Spurgeon's contract probably would be the start. Take advantage of the kids while they're cheap!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

Yes, I think we can. And trading off Spurgeon's contract probably would be the start. Take advantage of the kids while they're cheap!

If that happens we'll be retaining a portion of that salary as BG's not gonna dump him on a salary cap collecting team. He'll do him write.

11 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

If that happens we'll be retaining a portion of that salary as BG's not gonna dump him on a salary cap collecting team. He'll do him write.

I'm not sure how he'll get it done, but I'm sure he'll send the trade in "writ(ing)." 😉 The thing is, if you do have to part with the captain, even retaining $3.5m and backfilling with an ELC player is doable. Obtaining the big defender would be a separate action, but you'd be saving around $3m on the sending away. 

But, is there a way to do it where there is no retention? Some deals work out that way. For instance, what if Spurgeon was part of a deal to obtain Pettersson or Lindholm? It's a little early yet to trade him, but even with his look of 16 years old, father time is still undefeated!

Edited by mnfaninnc