Hockey Wilderness

Article: Danila Yurov Is the Whole Package And Arriving Soon

Luke Sims

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the KHL/Russian players can help me out here. But what was the incentive to sign a 1yr extension? Can imagine money was a factor but what else, is it related to the conscription? He could've came and got immediate minutes in the AHL on N.A ice getting acclimated to the NHL style game and getting around the team. Read a couple more articles and shaving minutes is a common tactic to get players to sign an extension but why would they sign an extension in the 1st place if that's how they're being treated?

I know the KHL is considered the 2nd best league in the world but his path to the NHL could've potentially been a year ahead instead of staying in Russia. Not to mention the dire circumstances going on with the war and their economy. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Kaprizov, he has been in contact with his fellow countryman since the Wild announced they selected him. Kaprizov also texted Yurov when the latter arrived to the Twin Cities for Wild Development Camp this summer. When asked what the NHL superstar said to him, Yurov replied, “he’s waiting for me.”

Welp...that's the best thing I've read all morning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, M_Nels said:

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the KHL/Russian players can help me out here. But what was the incentive to sign a 1yr extension? Can imagine money was a factor but what else, is it related to the conscription? He could've came and got immediate minutes in the AHL on N.A ice getting acclimated to the NHL style game and getting around the team. Read a couple more articles and shaving minutes is a common tactic to get players to sign an extension but why would they sign an extension in the 1st place if that's how they're being treated?

I know the KHL is considered the 2nd best league in the world but his path to the NHL could've potentially been a year ahead instead of staying in Russia. Not to mention the dire circumstances going on with the war and their economy. 

Russia doesn’t play by the same rules. They threaten far more than playing time. They hold their best players hostage to signing contracts to keep them in Russia longer. 

if the players don’t abide it has potential consequences to their families and to their own future. For instance, if player says I going no matter what, they might be considered an enemy of the state and not allowed to return safely. 

this is why teams in the nhl have a hesitancy towards Russian players. Michkov is probably #2 pick in draft this year if he isn’t Russian. Instead he falls to #7. Still a far fall, not as far as Yurov but Yurov was drafted 3 months after Russia started a war. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, M_Nels said:

I think that his contract in Russia is more than he could make in the A. Plus, he is still a kid, and transferring to a new continent/country is quite a challenge, especially if you're English challenged. 

I think he could help a contender for the KHL trophy, and his current team was a playoff team last year. Guerin, I think, also liked the way the KHL develops players and he saves on an ELC. Getting an extra year of ELC sounds like a win for the team!

In the 1st highlight, the shootout one, doesn't it look like Yurov has put on a little weight? He's listed at 6'1" 178. I'd love him to get here at at least 195!

• Like 2

If Yurov gets the bump over 10 minutes per game in the KHL this season, and I think he may, he should develop just as much, or more, than he might in the AHL.

No reason to rush him into the AHL to use up some of the entry level contract when he's getting minutes in the 2nd best league compared to the NHL. He's developing and getting stronger so that he'll be able to make an impact once he arrives.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do once he makes the jump to the US!

• Like 2

Yurov is just so silky smooth and sick. It's hard to fathom his talent level with the amount of exposure he has had at Metallurg last year. I've followed him and watched his line play such as noted and there were times that he never saw the ice in stretches.  After he signed the contract, everything, playing time, changed.

I don't know what his work out philosophy was before, but he has kept sharp while on the bench and now we should be able to see growth this year with more time played. It has obviously already started in the preseason.

He has that KK on ice factor with his vision and tough angle shots, no doubt. I'm hoping with a year in the KHL the transition is even more advanced that the Boldy reference. If anything it will be a system introduction. I don't know how much more time in IA will be needed with what he has shown.

KK, Khusnutdinov, Yurov......LINE 1......simply jaw dropping, stunning.....and amazing! 

Praying for safe passage 🙏🏻in '24 and no hold ups after the end of the contract. "IBGIT"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

In the 1st highlight, the shootout one, doesn't it look like Yurov has put on a little weight? He's listed at 6'1" 178. I'd love him to get here at at least 195!

195!!! :classic_laugh: Are you lowering your standards? I woulda fugured 215-220 was more a number you like. 

3 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

If Yurov gets the bump over 10 minutes per game in the KHL this season, and I think he may, he should develop just as much, or more, than he might in the AHL.

No reason to rush him into the AHL to use up some of the entry level contract when he's getting minutes in the 2nd best league compared to the NHL. He's developing and getting stronger so that he'll be able to make an impact once he arrives.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do once he makes the jump to the US!

I think a lot rests on how everyone's season goes. Will Yurov or Shrek make it obvious they're ready for the NHL? Will Wild players earn new contracts? We won't have those answers til next year but that will be a big factor related to roster spots, etc.

17 hours ago, Protec said:

195!!! :classic_laugh: Are you lowering your standards? I woulda fugured 215-220 was more a number you like. 

I figure his playing weight in the prime years will be around 210. I just don't think he gets there at 20. 195 is large enough not to get bumped around, but I see he and Kaprizov flipping tractor tires on the farm!

But, 178 was always going to be too light.