Hockey Wilderness

Article: What Are Minnesota's Best Remaining Free-Agent Options?

Luke Sims

None of those names impressed me and I would rather invest time in some of our prospects like Walker, Hunt, or Beckman and be a fringe playoff team.

I'm hoping we get hot with what we have and sneak in and surprise someone like Florida did last year. My expectation are limited, but I guess I can say that every year.  The Wild have a way of recking that expectation by playing out of their minds and getting our hopes up. If we miss the playoffs and level off and get a midround pick I think I can talk myself into being ok with that.

We've been spoiled by some overachievement in the regular season and disasters in the playoffs, have to think big picture and vision for the future in '25-26.

• Like 7

Appreciate the look at UFAs that are still available, but I agree that the Wild should just roll with what they've got. There'd be value in saving roster space and give whoever's got a hot hand on the AHL club some NHL reps.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, bisopher said:

A:  None of the Above.  Stick with the I-35 Express as needed, and save all $$$ possible for a TDL upgrade / injury replacement. 

And use our newly signed goalie to drive the bus back and forth 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bisopher said:

This, is a good idea--as long as it's two-way to allow him to rehab in Iowa on their dime...

I think we'll resign Shaw, but it may be once he's deemed healthy enough to rehab. I wouldn't expect anything until the start of next year. I know some guys have come back in 6 months for hockey on those surgeries, but I'd have to expect that on a 2nd one, you need to be more careful. 

I assume he's using our facilities and doctors to rehab and keep track of him. 

• Like 2

Luke, one of you guys needs to check in with Shawsy! I wish the world for him but know a little about double ACL's. Now Shaw having done a double on both legs, not sure I want him to try, even though I know he is blood n guts thirsty to return.

When he becomes an old man with arthritis, he may wish he took a break and returned to his cattle ranch up in Alberta.  I would also love to see him involved as a bench coach or development for the IA Wild

Whatever he decides, I'll support his decision wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

Zach Parise is still a free agent. There’s a spot on the New York Islanders roster for him if he chooses to resign. He’s proven he still has some gas left in the tank, scoring 20 goals last year. But he’s also 38 years old and retirement is looming for him. Given how things ended in Minnesota, don't expect a homecoming next year. 

There should be a rule that if you re-sign a guy after buying him out, the dead-cap penalties go away!! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TCMooch said:

I'm all for rolling with what we have and saving some necessary cap throughout the season if we need to.

I think the wild have 1.6M in space currently with Addison the only RFA remaining.  

We aint picking up anybody who moves the needle for league min.

I sense we build up a bit of cap space to have room to make a mid-season waiver claim, or bank it for the TDL again.

• Like 2

Hockey Wilderness Contributor
2 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

Luke, one of you guys needs to check in with Shawsy! I wish the world for him but know a little about double ACL's. Now Shaw having done a double on both legs, not sure I want him to try, even though I know he is blood n guts thirsty to return.

When he becomes an old man with arthritis, he may wish he took a break and returned to his cattle ranch up in Alberta.  I would also love to see him involved as a bench coach or development for the IA Wild

Whatever he decides, I'll support his decision wholeheartedly.

I'd be willing to bet the Wild have a deal in pencil ready for Shaw. When he's healthy enough to suit back up again I bet he resigns. Heartbreaking to see him have to rehab again.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, B1GKappa97 said:

There should be a rule that if you re-sign a guy after buying him out, the dead-cap penalties go away!! 

If only, although you know teams would abuse this loophole. And you know what that means. Bettman and the league would make it against the rules and find a nice middle market team (Toronto and New York are much too valuable to hold to the rules and punishing Arizona is punching down) to punish ex post facto to demonstrate how serious they take it. A team like, say, the Minnesota Wild.

• Like 2