Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild's Continuity Makes For An Offseason Advantage

Mikki Tuohy

But just because the Wild play a grit-first game, it doesn’t mean they don’t have skill. Kirill Kaprizovand Matt Boldy know how to score pretty goals and everyone’s seen them do it. But the problems start when the goal-scorers like Kaprizov and Boldy are only looking to make highlight-reel plays. They’re capable of making those amazing plays without sacrificing their identity.

This is where the team got into a lot of trouble the last couple years. Losing streaks were the result until they snapped back into reality.

• Like 1

I wish this article were true, but it isn't. Only half the team is built that way, the other half is not. I can only say that Mikki had on her rose colored glasses, or maybe green with rose? 

If we were this type of team, we would have 4 defenders in the Middleton class. We don't, we have 1. We have Dewar, Shaw, Zuccarello and Rossi to go with that. We've got a few average guys, but our weight is well below league average. 

Now, team that up with a group that doesn't normally play a 60 minute game and I think you don't have what you think you have. Now, if you look at what's coming, and what Brackett has brought us the last couple of years, you'd also see that he isn't drafting for grit. We're going to be a skilled team going forward, hopefully one that takes the body a lot. But skill is what is being drafted, not grit. 

I would have to say, wholeheartedly that the conclusion of this article is a fail. This is not that type of team.

I would be shopping Addison to ANA, DET, or ARI. There was rumors Detroit had interest. Anaheim has Drysdale who would have some familiarity with Addison from Team Canada. They're not in a huge hurry to be a playoff team. Each club has some extra picks in the 2nd round. Addison was a 2nd too so the perceived value exchange wouldn't be a sticking point for fans or media if such a trade took place. I.e. the optics aren't bad.

If MN could do that and improve their draft of forwards or bigger defense for a few years from now, I think that would be a decent connection to the original deal that moved Zucker out for Galchenyuk & Addison. Might be the 59th or 60th pick from ANA but in this draft perhaps that's the best return for Addison you can get from a futures for futures deal. Obviously and earlier 2nd rounder would be preferable before the Wild's 53rd slot. Detroit having 41-43 is a nice target too.

Guerin should be looking at all the players that don't fit or where the Wild have redundancy and trying to get them moved for 2nd or 3rd rounders.

Also, if our grit identity were that big of a deal, a reasonable person would look at our strength and conditioning program and expect our prospects to be getting much larger. They're not! This is a problem.

As for Addison, I think I like him better getting packaged to bring us back a mid first. Somewhere like 17 where he is packaged with another player/another year's pick to add the 2nd 1st rounder to our portfolio.  

I've got no problems flipping Steel for a 2nd. We do need to take advantage of teams that are in win now scenarios. I'd think both Zuccarello and Foligno could be had for the right price. 

Shooter has bought time from OCL with the last 3 seasons of overperformance. I believe transitioning the new guys in this next year would be the best thing to do. That gives us 2 years to get them up to speed and ready for '25 when we can start operating on a level playing field. 

By the way, looking around the Central division, Colorado and Dallas look like playoff teams. Lots of questions about Winnipeg, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona and St. Louis. If we transition, we should still be competitive for the 3rd slot in the playoff seeding for the Central. Why not take the chance that this is the year we transition? 

^^^

Yeah, I like the idea of the Wild moving out the remaining guys not part of the long-term plan. Get picks now while teams have a lot of them and there's a bit of chaos. Some teams are gonna be afraid to lose guys for nothing. Guerin and the stability in MN should be an advantage. Not a ton of cap but in a pretty nice position to shuffle with assets and a nice roster currently.

• Like 1