Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Might Need A Defensive Upgrade At the Draft

Tony Abbott

Lambos might not have increased his point totals, but he was +60 in 61 games.

They also had a 21 year old offensive defenseman named Benjamin Zloty, who I assume was more of the creator on their #1PP unit. The undrafted Zloty had 68 assists in 64 regular season games and 23 assists in 19 playoff games.

No idea if Lambos was given playing time on their power play#1, but it seems evident that Zloty is the guy they're using as their #1 setup man on the PP. They have 2 top 12 NHL Forward picks on the roster, but Zloty led them in assists.

• Like 5

I look at our center depth as an organization, and I think we need to go up to the podium early and often to grab at least 2 C prospects and hopefully get a 3rd. Our defense looks to be solid and we're probably more likely to be able to trade for a larger bodied D. 

Generally, I'd agree, you look down the road and are drafting for a roster spot in '26-27 at the earliest. The thing is, with the guys we have at defense in the system, they should fill the roster spots in those years. 

This is why I believe we should be willing to trade our '24 pick and move hard in this draft. A '24 top 10 protected pick should net us a pretty good pick in this draft, and at least a good move up from the 2nd round. 

The biggest thing is that we've got Rossi, Khus$%^&, Bankier, Petrovsky, and little else in the pipeline for centers. Great if you hit on one or 2, but that is absolutely no guarantee. Moore, Ritchie, Danielson and Edstrom are all nice looking centers that we need 2+ of. 

We will have to overpay to move up, and I'm ok with that. What would happen if we were able to draft something like a Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler in this draft? Don't go small, don't go Euro, get some good centers we can work with. Our defensive prospects and depth can hold down the fort for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Up North Guy said:

Not disagreeing but if they do go defense I sure hope they go BIG defense. 

UNG, I'm there with ya!

I feel Brackett has proven he'll go for a Russian player and if all of the above options fail, Dmitri Simashev (604 200 18yoa) is our guy! I agree size does matter when we look at our future!

Again, as mnfaninnc  points out, gonna be at least 26-27 or later with a Rusky.

20 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Lambos might not have increased his point totals, but he was +60 in 61 games.

It seems like this stat is where most of Lambos' value lies. He was +42 the previous season too. Maybe he just starts plays and would get a 3rd assist if awarded? Maybe his line just tilts the ice in the other direction. Maybe, like Faber, he does whatever it takes for the team and isn't worried about statistics? Perhaps winning is far more important!