Hockey Wilderness

Article: Like It Or Not, the Wild Miss Calen Addison

Tony Abbott

I would like to see a crisper more proactive PP for sure.  I am not so sure that the reason is squarely Addison.  Even KK doesn't look that sharp.  Boldy seems to be fighting it as well.  Maybe it is just out of sync with Klingberg, maybe Dallas is keying on something.. I don't know but I do know that Addison doesn't possess greater skill, and keeps it pretty tight whereas Klingberg does have just a little better skill and experience and it translates to a looser game that is looking more sloppy than anything.  

In his defense though Klinger has tightened up 5v5 and it shows.

• Like 2

Interesting take. 11-7? It might work. You must have more faith in Addison’s defensive play regardless of where you put him on the ice. I think he’s completely untrustworthy with his defense and the effort he shows with it.

• Like 1

Why not put blame where it is, or at least a reason.  The QB right now doesn't matter, it's replacing Ek that is the problem.  While Johansson brings a different skill set to the PP, we don't have that guy in the middle who whacks away at rebounds.  Replacing Ek's 12 goals isn't easy, but replacing that skill set has been impossible.  

With nobody there to do what Ek does, the defensive box can shade slightly to Kaprizov cutting down his gap.  This affects every other threat on the PP.  It's not the zippy passes from the top that are missing, it's the hammering away in front that's most glaring.  

What we need is a solution to Ek. Could Boldy take the pounding inside?  He's got a good enough stick. Maybe someone as savvy as Dewar could get it done?  Moose is big but doesn't have the quick stick.  Hartman might be able to do it, or maybe even Gaudreau. 

One issue is that this PP is designed to have that threat in the middle and then pass around the perimeter. Without that threat in the middle, they are just wasting time. The shots aren't coming from the home plate area, there's not enough traffic in there either.  

Conclusion: Find a suitable replacement for Ek's role, or redesign the PP. We've got plenty of guys who can QB, and Klingberg/Spurgeon are much better at all the other aspects than Addison.  Even Addison on the wing isn't much of a solution as Steel is a C and we need the beef.  Grit first is supposed to be the mantra, Addison has none in his game.  

I realize Addison is one of Tony's darling players, but the argument is just plain wrong for him, unless he adapts his play to the style of the team.  So far, he has shown an unwillingness to do so, and for that, your butt gets splinters.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Why not put blame where it is, or at least a reason.  The QB right now doesn't matter, it's replacing Ek that is the problem.  While Johansson brings a different skill set to the PP, we don't have that guy in the middle who whacks away at rebounds.  Replacing Ek's 12 goals isn't easy, but replacing that skill set has been impossible.  

With nobody there to do what Ek does, the defensive box can shade slightly to Kaprizov cutting down his gap.  This affects every other threat on the PP.  It's not the zippy passes from the top that are missing, it's the hammering away in front that's most glaring.  

What we need is a solution to Ek. Could Boldy take the pounding inside?  He's got a good enough stick. Maybe someone as savvy as Dewar could get it done?  Moose is big but doesn't have the quick stick.  Hartman might be able to do it, or maybe even Gaudreau. 

One issue is that this PP is designed to have that threat in the middle and then pass around the perimeter. Without that threat in the middle, they are just wasting time. The shots aren't coming from the home plate area, there's not enough traffic in there either.  

Conclusion: Find a suitable replacement for Ek's role, or redesign the PP. We've got plenty of guys who can QB, and Klingberg/Spurgeon are much better at all the other aspects than Addison.  Even Addison on the wing isn't much of a solution as Steel is a C and we need the beef.  Grit first is supposed to be the mantra, Addison has none in his game.  

I realize Addison is one of Tony's darling players, but the argument is just plain wrong for him, unless he adapts his play to the style of the team.  So far, he has shown an unwillingness to do so, and for that, your butt gets splinters.

Not once did you mention Sundqvist. Would he be worthy a try on the PP making small talk with Oetter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon said:

i’d argue putting Sundqvist on the PP1 and in the lineup might do more good than Addison. I like his front net presence.

This is the problem. The last game our first unit on the power play looked dreadful because they were just passing around the perimeter and shooting mostly harmless shots on Oettinger who was unscreened and playing lights out. We need a big body in the blue paint to take his eyes away and hame home rebounds and loose pucks. The second unit looked much better having a screening forward.

I don’t really understand a lot of what this team did last game with screening the goaltender. For a while when 6 on 5 we had Jared Spurgeon (!) screening Oettinger…..are most of our forwards unwilling to do this? It’s a pretty basic and necessary strategy against a hot goaltender (or really any goaltender for that matter).

I don’t really think it has anything to do with QBing the power play.

• Like 3

Not. Keep Faber in, he's earned this and has a much more complete game then Addy.

The only time I would want to see Addy on ice is on the PP if he's in the lineup. That means throwing an extra 5 minutes at both Dumba and Spurgeon.

Frankly, we need to fix our woeful PK which is sitting 25% lower then the regular season right now before I start caring about a PP that's technically 2% better then the regular season.

You can whine about penalties all you want, but they're gonna happen. I'd expect no less then 2 per game for both teams. Which with a (currently) 56% PK means Dallas likely gets a gimme goal every game.

Edited by Millante
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jgodwin17 said:

This is the problem. The last game our first unit on the power play looked dreadful because they were just passing around the perimeter and shooting mostly harmless shots on Oettinger who was unscreened and playing lights out. We need a big body in the blue paint to take his eyes away and hame home rebounds and loose pucks. The second unit looked much better having a screening forward.

I don’t really understand a lot of what this team did last game with screening the goaltender. For a while when 6 on 5 we had Jared Spurgeon (!) screening Oettinger…..are most of our forwards unwilling to do this? It’s a pretty basic and necessary strategy against a hot goaltender (or really any goaltender for that matter).

I don’t really think it has anything to do with QBing the power play.

Right?! It’s very bizarre why the hell there is quite literally zero front net presence. But, then again as I’m typing this, I recall seeing Suter cross-checking Kirill multiple times without any call. This doesn’t excuse the Wild but I can see how the fwds might be hesitant to continue doing that if they know they’re going to be brutalized without repercussions. Kirill might actually be hurt because of that. Still, who isn’t hurt in the playoffs right? No net presences = little chance of scoring.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 1

Maybe Foligno should go battle in front and try to draw a penalty for a change?

I'll tell ya what I am beginning to see. Foligno becoming the next cap casualty as GMBG decides who he's tired of seeing the same stuff from. Greenway wore the patience thin, Fiala didn't produce when needed. GMBG is gonna have a lot to think about if this series goes down in flames for MN on Friday night.

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Right?! It’s very bizarre why the hell there is quite literally zero front net presence. But, then again as I’m typing this, I recall seeing Suter cross-checking Kirill multiple times without any call. This doesn’t excuse the Wild but I can see how the fwds might be hesitant to continue doing that if they know they’re going to be brutalized without repercussions. Kirill might actually be hurt because of that. Still, who isn’t hurt in the playoffs right? No net presences = little chance of scoring.

But playoffs, right? 

Quite frankly, I see Klingberg as less of an offensive asset and more of a defensive liability than Addison.  I'd bench one and play the other.  I don't think you want to go short on the forward lines in the playoffs.

My two cents.