Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Is Marcus Johansson Succeeding This Time Around?

Aaron Heckmann

If these guys wanna be in MN they'll be wanted and appreciated but there's not lots of money to go around. There shouldn't be any beating around the bush. With any of these guys who are all doing pretty well, they know the deal. If good offers come in from someplace they'll likely take it. At the same time some guys wanna win and money isn't everything. Hartman is a great example. Ek also took a team-friendly deal IMO.

The tough thing is both Mojo and Nyqviist have been pretty effective. Sundqvuisst and Reaves have been good players who bring something to the table. The first two guys would be nice ones to keep but I've liked Steel and Sundsquivvst is probably the most affordable guy the Wild could hang on to. Not the worst problem to have considering the flexibility management has built in. It could go a variety of ways and the Wild aren't in a bad spot.

• Like 1

Mojo, the first time just didn’t get any real opportunity to build positive momentum. He had gotten hurt, only got 36 games. Never really found chemistry with a line. Had crummy luck as he was a minus player and then broke the collar bone or had the shoulder injury against Vegas. He was coming from Buffalo but his previous success with Washington wasn’t happening. 

I believe the reason they wanted him in the first place was to pair with some offensive guys to build scoring depth. It didn’t work then during a season when Rask was a superior player on paper. This time it appears the Wild were able to get that positive momentum with talented offensive guys. Johansson also taking advantage having warmed up with 60 games in Washington and playing healthy. 

20-21 I think the Wild were built differently with players like Sturm, Rask, Parise, Bjugstad, and others who weren’t all bad but not the types of guys who make plays AND score the way Boldy can. The Bold-Mojo duo is connecting back and forth setting each other up for finishes and both players are very capable. 

Example: Game 3. Boldy finds streaking Mojo who makes great move to score. When I watch that one, I thought those two guys could have swapped places and made the same play. That chemistry and fit has been noticeable and it’s a glimpse into the types of things coaches and GMs are trying to find. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. When it does work, it’s pretty gratifying for everyone IMO.

• Like 1

I'll admit it...

I've already screamed MOJO infinitely (three specifically) more times this playoffs then I ever have before.

And since I've done it zero times before this year... which is logically undefined mathematically... it works out to Mojo is suddenly a beast now.

Math is weird... just going with that.

Edited by Millante

17 hours ago, Protec said:

If these guys wanna be in MN they'll be wanted and appreciated but there's not lots of money to go around. There shouldn't be any beating around the bush. With any of these guys who are all doing pretty well, they know the deal. If good offers come in from someplace they'll likely take it. At the same time some guys wanna win and money isn't everything. Hartman is a great example. Ek also took a team-friendly deal IMO.

The tough thing is both Mojo and Nyqviist have been pretty effective. Sundqvuisst and Reaves have been good players who bring something to the table. The first two guys would be nice ones to keep but I've liked Steel and Sundsquivvst is probably the most affordable guy the Wild could hang on to. Not the worst problem to have considering the flexibility management has built in. It could go a variety of ways and the Wild aren't in a bad spot.

Mojo is on record saying he was tired of moving around. He likes Minnesota and the Wild and wants to settle down. Who knows, maybe he will take a team friendly contract.

If they can find a way to keep Gustavsson, Johansson, and Nyquist, we might be able to get through these buyouts extremely well.  

Get Fleury and Goose to ride off into the sunset, and it may be possible to keep 2 of the 3.  But, yeah, probably almost impossible barring some sort of big trade with Zucc.

But, at the end of the day, those three have been our best players in the postseason.  If they make a run with these guys and it continues, it’ll be tough to see any of them walk.

20 hours ago, Beast said:

But, at the end of the day, those three have been our best players in the postseason.  If they make a run with these guys and it continues, it’ll be tough to see any of them walk.

It may be tough, but we've got some guys marinating in Iowa that may be ready to take those spots.