Hockey Wilderness

Article: Dean Evason Fires Back At Stars Coach

Carlton Bloom

I like DeBoer.  I like the way he handles things.  Love the way he handled the Pavelski hit.  He’s not wrong about the Wild taking penalties.

But, Dean isn’t wrong.  Not only have the Stars potentially created a penalty or two where there wasn’t one, but I think the refs have neglected to call some obvious  penalties on the Stars (Suters shenanigans, namely).  They’ve also called some borderline penalties on the Wild.

It’s not why the Wild lost game 2 in embarrassing fashion, that’s mostly on the Geurin/Dean for overthinking things, and Kaprisov either being hurt or going radio silent.  But, it would be nice to see penalties called on their merit.  A cross check is a cross check.  The effect on the player being cross checked shouldn’t determine the penalty.  Enforce the damn rules across the board, or get rid of the rule.  I’m sick of this “well they haven’t called it all year,” crap.  

Edited by Beast

It is pretty frustrating how often penalties are called based on the impact of said penalty. “Oh this high stick dropped the guy to the ice, got to call that one,” versus “well, it was a high stick, but it hardly impacted play.” A high stick is a high stick, a cross check is a cross check. Either call them or don’t, you can’t have both.

On that note, why call a high stick a 4 minute penalty when it draws blood versus a 2 minute when it doesn’t draw blood? What the fuck is the difference? They’re both high sticks. Call it one way or the other. It shouldn’t matter if it draws blood and oftentimes they say if the drawn blood is in the mouth then it doesn’t count. I mean WTF is that?!? Call it 2 minute minor no matter what. I’d also like to see the delay of game penalty for putting it out from your own end eliminated because very rarely can you ever definitively say that the guilty player actually meant to put it out of play. More often than not it’s very clearly an accident and I don’t get why you’d penalize a player for accidentally putting it out of play. Also get rid of the trapezoid so goalies can play the puck and create more offense. Don’t we want to see more break aways started by goalies?!?

also, the 4 minute minor that the starts scored on last game came from a high stick from Middleton that was lifted by the stars player into the other player. That should reviewable as well. Rant over. LGW

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 5:56 PM, Beast said:

But, it would be nice to see penalties called on their merit.  A cross check is a cross check.  The effect on the player being cross checked shouldn’t determine the penalty.  Enforce the damn rules across the board, or get rid of the rule.  I’m sick of this “well they haven’t called it all year,” crap.  

It's never been that way in the playoffs.  Referees don't feel threatened that the Wild could lose their minds and embarrass them, therefore, they are completely comfortable letting these things go.  If they felt that threat, things would change and until they feel that threat, things won't.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:32 PM, guywhokickedyou said:

I’d also like to see the delay of game penalty for putting it out from your own end eliminated because very rarely can you ever definitively say that the guilty player actually meant to put it out of play. More often than not it’s very clearly an accident and I don’t get why you’d penalize a player for accidentally putting it out of play.

This is in response to players who used to do it on purpose a lot.