Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Desperately Need Marcus Foligno To Rebound In the Playoffs

Tony Abbott

I don't think that Foligno's problem was strictly Foligno.  If you look at his line prior to the TDL, that line struggled all year.  It wasn't Ek and it wasn't Foligno, it was Greenway who repeatedly arrived late, wouldn't take the body as he usually did, and was even worse than his points indicated.  For the model to suggest he was a better player shows that this model isn't accurate.

I thought Foligno-Gaudreau-Duhaime had sort of meshed into a pretty good line, though the scoring wasn't really there.  Adding Sundqvist as a wing also made a decent line, though the scoring also wasn't there.  But, the line was starting to gain momentum until Sundqvist got hurt (from another questionable non-call of repeated cross checks).

The other factor, puck luck, finally caught up with him.  You could see the frustration in Foligno's game, in his whole season, as he took it out on Englund.  While his goals tend to be big goals, I am satisfied with his defensive play and stapling guys to the boards with massive hits.  If he's got Nyquist on his line, perhaps he'll pick up some points.

• Like 1