Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Should Trade Up For Cayden Lindstrom

Verified Member

I’m really happy for T wolve fans. I had no idea how special ant is. Hearing  current and former players talk about him like he’s the next MJ is cool. I haven’t watched b ball since the Jordan era . I’m definitely into watching ant now. To think minny might be sitting on the next MJ is so great for minny.  I’m also impressed how they play as a team not individuals. 
    The wild need to draft an ant. A guy who wants to kill everything in front of him  and the talent to do so. . He’s got  the it factor. MJ’s compete level. Wild need that. 

• Like 5

Verified Member

Ant got my curiosity rolling w the Wolves. JJ w the Vikes , Now just do what it takes to appease Kirill.   We haven’t had that kind of HOF talents since Puck 

Verified Member

Kalisha, you read my mind perfectly! It must be reiterated, Lindstrom hurt his hand this season and missed significant time. This is why his stats are down.

I have seen Lindstrom available anywhere from 3 to 10 on mocks. I suppose he is a little lost in the shuffle with his injury in some, and those big defenders are very enticing. 

He and Saliyayev are my 2 targets. So, we're going to need to trade up.....or get ping pong luck, which we are due.  Jumping up to 3 would be huge!

I believe that Kalisha was suggesting #13 + Rossi = #3. That would give the Ducks a 1-2 punch of Carlsson and Rossi at center, I'm not sure where Zegras plays. 

I'd be ok with that, but I'd really want to try and pry Brady Tkachuk out of Ottawa first. It would be nice for the ping pong balls to give us 3 and trade for BT. For me, that would be like Christmas.

• Like 3

Verified Member

Bettman owns us big time for screwing us on the Parise suter contracts. They were already done when that rule came out, why punish us?

So pull out that green Foosball with a wild symbol on bettman!

• Like 3

Verified Member

Tankathon has us taking some size. Silayev D man from Russia. 6 foot 7 inches, 207lbs! God dang lol. Yakumchuck would be a sweet pick for the name alone, 6' 3" right shot d man

• Like 4

Verified Member

The Wild are not so desperate for a particular player that they should overpay anything. I mean, trading up by a few spots with a perfect win-win, or in the 2nd round is possible but still uncommon.

The Wild sitting where they're at in the draft can get a nice player. I just hope it's not a little Euro, elite Swede, or guruism where the Wild pass on the obvious or get weird and take a falling player.

Brackett blunders have been debunked apparently, but I'm not going off Hockey-Writers or analytics. I'm using my eyeballs and brain for conclusions. Undecided yet. I think the Wild should take Hage if he's available I could see Philly taking him. You gotta think Iginla will go to Calgary at 9th. MN "should" have a really nice group of options at 13th.

Gotta figure the top 10 includes obvious guys like Celebrini, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium,(so hot right now) Parekh,(rising), Dickinson,(Big D from OHL/Toronto area) and maybe Iginla if Calgary goes that route. That's seven NA guys and I figure, Demidov, Silayev, and either Jiricek or Helenuis or both could be gone by the time ten picks have happened. For me Buffalo, and Philly are the wild-cards along with teams reaching off the board so to speak.

It could be good to trade up but at what price because MN could easily end up with a Yakemchuk, Hage, Catton, Connelly, Greentree, Eiserman, Parascak, Sennecke, Jiricek, Hemming, or elite Swede Brandsegg-Nygaard which is the one I'm thinking Brackett loves. My theory had been that he likes elite Swedes or Finns because they have double-letters in their names just like Judd. His last elite Swede however was Ogie who conspicuously has no double-letters like Brakett. I'm optimistic if that is a thing for JB, he'll go with Catton, or better yet Connelly or Greentree who each have double double-letters going with the consonant or vowel flavors.

😁 

My point is, the Wild will be fine paying nothing to anyone and get their value at 13th just as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Verified Member
3 minutes ago, Protec said:

My theory had been that he likes elite Swedes or Finns because they have double-letters in their names just like Judd. His last elite Swede however was Ogie who conspicuously has no double-letters like Brakett. I'm optimistic if that is a thing for JB, he'll go with Catton, or better yet Connelly or Greentree who each have double double-letters going with the consonant or vowel flavors.

😁

Just think Olli Joelovi... This one's for you debunkers out there.

😆

Posted (edited)

People like Boldy, Suzuki, and Caufield have been gotten around 13-15, so you're going to hope on a higher end guy or even a middle as a floor.  If a bigger D like Yakemchuk is still there, grab him.  Even Greentree or Brandsegg-Nygard to beef up the winger position, or Eiserman for a pure shooter if he drops somehow.  Helenius or Jiricek screams grabbing someone redundant.  The Wild don't need centers.  The Wild don't need smaller defenseman.  What they need is secondary scoring or someone how can smack people around so other teams stop secondary scoring.

Silayev would be a dream scenario, but I doubt he's going to be there.  I would ok taking Iginla too, but man.  Calgary can't ask for a better pick to fall into their laps.  I kinda want either him to go there for us to get him if he's the option.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 1

Verified Member
23 minutes ago, Protec said:

The Wild are not so desperate for a particular player that they should overpay anything. I mean, trading up by a few spots with a perfect win-win, or in the 2nd round is possible but still uncommon.

Here's how I'm seeing it, the rebuild is over, it's time for the development. Go get the guy you want. Why not try and get a guy who is 6'3" 215 (in jrs.), who skates great (a definite Brackett trait) and has a Tkachuk like compete level? So you have to pay to get him, so what, it's a targeted pick on a player of need, not position. 

I also love the big Russian, and a 1-2 pick of him and Pulkinnen would be most welcome, but right now, I think the most franchise changing move would be Lindstrom and not because he can be inserted right away.

Previously, on "Building the Wild" we have seen Brackett taking the best player available. This started with Rossi who is turning into a very nice pick. It also had us getting a franchise goalie and several good defensive prospects. The vision for this was having a Wall in goal, and a larger, but puck moving defense that was strong enough to defend, but smooth enough to be 2-way defenders. These guys could be rolled out and accomplish the same thing regardless of pairing. 

Then we focused on the forwards and we have a vast array of talented forwards almost arriving. The roster hasn't yet turned, but it is about to. Now we need to fill out what we don't have. And one thing we don't have is a center who can play like Lindstrom. He immediately helps the collective 23 with his effort and ability. When the guard rails which are the buyout penalties come off, then we need to address some other area we do not have. And, next season, with money left over, perhaps we can convince Skjei to come home too? 

I see us needing to change our mindset and start instead thinking about the present and not the future. It's time to make our move, next season will be the last of the futures on the roster, '25-26 starts the NOW. This will be the opening of "contender" time.

• Like 1

Verified Member
3 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Here's how I'm seeing it, the rebuild is over, it's time for the development. Go get the guy you want. Why not try and get a guy who is 6'3" 215 (in jrs.), who skates great (a definite Brackett trait) and has a Tkachuk like compete level? So you have to pay to get him, so what, it's a targeted pick on a player of need, not position. 

I also love the big Russian, and a 1-2 pick of him and Pulkinnen would be most welcome, but right now, I think the most franchise changing move would be Lindstrom and not because he can be inserted right away.

Previously, on "Building the Wild" we have seen Brackett taking the best player available. This started with Rossi who is turning into a very nice pick. It also had us getting a franchise goalie and several good defensive prospects. The vision for this was having a Wall in goal, and a larger, but puck moving defense that was strong enough to defend, but smooth enough to be 2-way defenders. These guys could be rolled out and accomplish the same thing regardless of pairing. 

Then we focused on the forwards and we have a vast array of talented forwards almost arriving. The roster hasn't yet turned, but it is about to. Now we need to fill out what we don't have. And one thing we don't have is a center who can play like Lindstrom. He immediately helps the collective 23 with his effort and ability. When the guard rails which are the buyout penalties come off, then we need to address some other area we do not have. And, next season, with money left over, perhaps we can convince Skjei to come home too? 

I see us needing to change our mindset and start instead thinking about the present and not the future. It's time to make our move, next season will be the last of the futures on the roster, '25-26 starts the NOW. This will be the opening of "contender" time.

For me, it's all about the cost. Trading Gus & 13th for example to move up a little bit really isn't worth it. Gus plus something more and 13th to move way up seems like a strong pay to get a player who's not certain to play in the NHL immediately when you could trade assets for a current NHL player.(a more developed player.)

Add on top of that the pressure, timing, and uncertainty around the draft and how each selection plays out and it seems pretty complicated. High-risk, high-reward can be good, but if Fluery got hurt, now Wallstedt is gonna be under pressure to be an NHL 1A tendy overnight. Think about that before we trade Gus for a better 2024 18yo prospect.

• Like 3

If we knew what Yurov, Khusnutdinov, Ohgren, etc brought, I'd be more inclined to shoot for a "time is now" push...but no.

The Wild have this

1. Elite game changing player (Kaprizov).

2. A serviceable if not at times dangerous top line (Ek/Boldy)

3. A potentially elite defensive/two-way #1 D (Faber)

4. 40-50 pt forwards (Rossi/Hartman/Zuccarello)

5. High-end yet aging and injury-prone defensive defense (Brodin/Spurgeon).

6. Younger middle-six (Ohgren/Khusnutdinov)

7. Inconsistent goaltending (Fleury/Gus)

8. Suitable spare parts but lacking in areas or aging out (3rd pairings/Middleton/Mojo/Gaudreau).

The Wild are a 1 line team with 3 great defenders (two on the older side), and a bunch of what ifs. I am not convinced on anything other than they are a bubble team with "some" skill to beat up the truly bad or get lucky against the best "sometimes."

Those "sometimes" labels keep me leery.

Verified Member

I think they should just stick at #13. Some stud is going to fall there.

Whether that's a sub-6' top-line talent or a blue liner with some size. 

Its a good spot to be in this draft class. Just stay there and see who falls. 

• Like 2

Verified Member
4 hours ago, Backwoodsbob said:

Personally I would be looking at a good sized "D" man. I feel the defense is a weak spot. IMHO

This team is riddled with weaknesses. A good C with size or a big talented D would be my pick.

• Like 2

Verified Member
3 hours ago, Protec said:

elite Swede Brandsegg-Nygaard

Brandsegg-Nygaard is from Norway and was born there. He played a lot of hockey in Norway but also played in some Swedish leagues. If we were going to go after a Center I would really like Hage. He’s a great player and scouts seem to have a hard time coming up with any negative things about him.

if we took brandsegg nygaard id be really pissed. There should be plenty of better players available.

• Like 1

Verified Member
3 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

The Wild don't need centers. 

The Wild absolutely need centers. You can never have enough of them or big skilled defenders. You can’t bank on Yurov to take the 1st or 2nd C when he’s never even played an nhl game. I do think that he’s as close to a sure thing as there is but maybe C doesn’t work out for him like what happened with Boldy in college. Since this draft is loaded with defenders I’m leaning towards a big d to pick. We really don’t have any of those in the system that look particularly promising. They all seem to be about 6ft

• Like 1