Hockey Wilderness

Big Game Guys

Verified Member

Brackett has some room yet for his and Bill's guys to succeed. The two of them are a team. No different from when you're in Vancouver, you cannot miss on big picks like Jeolevi before Tkachuk. You need a plan and a target. It's gotta pay dividends.Ā 

The team has gotta get better and keep adding high-end talent. Emphasis on winners, leaders, toughness, clutch guys, size, reach, who have more hockey IQ than Foligno.

Verified Member

Wyatt Johnston gets the lone goal from Harley and Sticky-ickey. Dallas rookies getting results. If the Wild make the playoffs, Boldy, Rossi, and Gus had better be pretty frick'n good or you're not getting past the Central.

Also, Suter cost Dallas the game. Bittersweet, because I love to see Suter a target of ridicule. At the same time, he crosschecked #97 and it's instantly called. McDavid clearly has a golden-boy status and refs in Rd.1 never gave a crud when Kaprizov is taking one shot after another. Kind of a haha moment, followed by an NHL is BS...

In short, come on Wild rookies! Be really good. Then I wouldn't give a crud how MN doesn't measure up in the Central. Worse everything. 5th/6th in the Central is nowhere near Cup contender. Pavelski looks like he's finally becoming less relevant. Of course all the teams have more available cap than MN so they can replace talent via UFAs. The Wild need their penalty relief but they really need the prospects to perform. The Guerin/Brackett guys that is...

Verified Member

Nugent-Hopkins is a pretty good player. Big game player perhaps. Certainly makes good chances count. Edmonton looked really good with a great road game. Oilers defense is good now and a McDavid/Draisaitl matchup is tough. Only one Brodin and one Faber who can skate with the one guy, and only Merrill has the reach to poke the puck off the German's stick.

Something to think about.

Verified Member
23 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Darby Hendrickson relieved of duties from Wild coaching staff

Haha, I posted in the other thread. His attempt to get NoJo going failed and sealed his fate. I like Darby but it is time to upgrade in so many areas.Ā 

MN & Guerin are all goofed up. Lundell is driving his line and he setup a tap-in for Tarasenko on the GWG to go to the finals. Sorry Rossi-lovers but MN should have stuck to the plan and selected Lundell like we all thought would happen.Ā 

Maurice and Laviolette back in the Conference finals along with Deboer who unfortunately couldn't keep Suter or the Stars from taking dinky-minors the other night. Now they're gonna be forced to win on the road.Ā 

Biggest things I notice apart from the Panthers and Stars having the guys MN shoulda drafted is that when their big guys are held off the scoresheet, the second tier players get them the win.Ā 

MN has a long way to go, especially since Guerin still likes NoJo somehow and MN thinks keeping Rossi or adding a non-NHL Euro or aging veteran is gonna make a big difference.Ā 

Verified Member

MN always thinks their average group is borderline elite when they're not. Sorry boys but it's not doing us any favors being stoic and positive more often than not.Ā 

MN thought Bruce Boudreau was an elite coach but he could never win squat in the playoffs. Meanwhile the same coaches like Jon Cooper or Deboer, Maurice are always making it to the finals. Straight-up, I don't think Hynes is the guy. If MN is just waiting to grab a top coach like Sullivan maybe, that's possible I guess. Except now we've seen Cross-eyed Bill make longer commitments to guys than we like. He gave Evason a chance to regain his footing but it was costly. Guerin ought to be looking at where his goofs have taken them. Yes, cap-penalties and some 5+ million dropping off with NoJo and Fleury but what will this year bring? Youth movement at the risk of alienating Kaprizov or a hard push to get back into the playoffs with an identity. MN and their coaches haven't built that well. Glimpses for periods of time I'd day. Not like a top team who 100% have an identity and energy that comes from it. A lot of teams just have coaches and organizational averageness. No exceptional talents to be at the very top. Money, and other factors sure I'd agree, but MN does not stand out for success on the ice. Business, sure it's a nice MN niche.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YrWcWcPwY

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Protec said:

MN always thinks their average group is borderline elite when they're not. Sorry boys but it's not doing us any favors being stoic and positive more often than not.Ā 

MN thought Bruce Boudreau was an elite coach but he could never win squat in the playoffs. Meanwhile the same coaches like Jon Cooper or Deboer, Maurice are always making it to the finals. Straight-up, I don't think Hynes is the guy. If MN is just waiting to grab a top coach like Sullivan maybe, that's possible I guess. Except now we've seen Cross-eyed Bill make longer commitments to guys than we like. He gave Evason a chance to regain his footing but it was costly. Guerin ought to be looking at where his goofs have taken them. Yes, cap-penalties and some 5+ million dropping off with NoJo and Fleury but what will this year bring? Youth movement at the risk of alienating Kaprizov or a hard push to get back into the playoffs with an identity. MN and their coaches haven't built that well. Glimpses for periods of time I'd day. Not like a top team who 100% have an identity and energy that comes from it. A lot of teams just have coaches and organizational averageness. No exceptional talents to be at the very top. Money, and other factors sure I'd agree, but MN does not stand out for success on the ice. Business, sure it's a nice MN niche.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YrWcWcPwY

I think itā€™s time to start making comparisons between Fentonā€™s org. and Guerinā€™s org. Ā  But pewter the dynamics within the Fenton org were dysfunctional. Ā Yes, but look at the hr nightmare that the Guerin org. is turning out to be. Ā We all assume the asst GM and other guy who were terminated were one-off unique cases. Ā But if it happens again do we have enough evidence to confirm that Guerin is the problem (Iā€™m already there) Ā We may get to a point where we determine the only difference between Fenton and Guerin is Guerinā€™s illustrious playing career. Ā When it comes to running a hockey team the two have ALOT of similarities

Ā Again, winning glosses over a lot of cluster$&@?ery so Iā€™d argue that Guerin needs 2-3 of his prospects to become Wyatt Johnston/Stank Sauce type players. Ā If we have a bunch of niederitrr/Coyle types coming up this thing goes sideways until Guerinā€™s next anger management episode. Ā That'll be Uncle Leoā€™s cue to find a new GM and reboot the program again

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1

Verified Member
5 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I think itā€™s time to start making comparisons between Fentonā€™s org. and Guerinā€™s org. Ā  But pewter the dynamics within the Fenton org were dysfunctional. Ā Yes, but look at the hr nightmare that the Guerin org. is turning out to be. Ā We all assume the asst GM and other guy who were terminated were one-off unique cases. Ā But if it happens again do we have enough evidence to confirm that Guerin is the problem (Iā€™m already there) Ā We may get to a point where we determine the only difference between Fenton and Guerin is Guerinā€™s illustrious playing career. Ā When it comes to running a hockey team the two have ALOT of similarities

Ā Again, winning glosses over a lot of cluster$&@?ery so Iā€™d argue that Guerin needs 2-3 of his prospects to become Wyatt Johnston/Stank Sauce type players. Ā If we have a bunch of niederitrr/Coyle types coming up this thing goes sideways until Guerinā€™s next anger management episode. Ā That'll be Uncle Leoā€™s cue to find a new GM and reboot the program again

Dangit!!! Here's another one. I'll tell ya that in the last few years, Dallas has apparently done so much better in the draft, they're adding the AHL scoring champ too.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mavrik-bourque-to-make-playoff-debut-with-dallas-stars-in-game-6

1 hour ago, Protec said:

Dangit!!! Here's another one. I'll tell ya that in the last few years, Dallas has apparently done so much better in the draft, they're adding the AHL scoring champ too.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mavrik-bourque-to-make-playoff-debut-with-dallas-stars-in-game-6

30th!! Overall pick. Ā If this guy steps into their mid six next season weā€™ll have to identify who the hockey whisperer is on that staff and offer him the Wild GM position. Ā We can have a Wes Walz berate the staff and yell at the interns

Verified Member

McDavid and Hyman both scoring big goals after Tanev and again Suter take dinky minors. EDM PP deadly still and their PK is on fire.Ā 

Will that hold up against FL, not sure but Suter has twice cost Dallas in their last two games with shit minor penalties that cost them goals by the Oiler's PP.Ā 

Oettinger didn't play bad, Dallas just couldn't score goals or stay out of the box. The Finals should be good. I like FL in six games.Ā 

Verified Member

The big enchilada is finally here, and thankfully no Central Division foes. I think McDavid and Draisaitl may be good, but Florida has more depth and a better all around team. I was looking at a few predictions and they seem to be close (if Iā€™m reading them correctly). What do you guys think?

Verified Member

Welp , Edmonton is doing better than i expectedĀ  and i think they beat better teams so farĀ  so i'm kind of leaning towards Edmonton at this point butĀ  .Ā  Ā 

11 hours ago, Sam said:

The big enchilada is finally here, and thankfully no Central Division foes. I think McDavid and Draisaitl may be good, but Florida has more depth and a better all around team. I was looking at a few predictions and they seem to be close (if Iā€™m reading them correctly). What do you guys think?

Mcdavid is a human highlight reel but I think FLA is a wagon that wins it in six. Ā Theyā€™re big, skilled, multifaceted and deep. Ā Great RATā€™s (lumberg, ktachuk), great finishers (barkov, ktachuk). Ā If EDM wins the unsung hero will be coach knobloch who X & Oā€™d a better team