Hockey Wilderness

Big Game Guys

Verified Member
On 5/17/2024 at 2:09 PM, Pewterschmidt said:

I tried to watch Stramel this past season when Badgers played Gophers but never saw him because he was hurt (1st game) and benched (2nd game) during his sophomore year.  If he projects to be a high end talent, he'd be a stud on a college team.

I did the same thing with the tournament. The game I watched, he played 5 shifts (that I saw) in the 1st and 2nd period. He was benched for the 3rd. It didn't seem to be that he did anything wrong in those 5 shifts, but, he also didn't really do anything right. It looked more like a Johansson cardio session. He looked lost.

I'm not sure what has happened to him, but I believe he was highly scouted by the Wild and is very hard to play against when he's on. The thing is, he wasn't on this year, and probably most of last. Something else is going on inside his head, and if that can be corrected, we've got something. 

From the stats I've seen, though, he doesn't appear to be a big scorer, just a menace to play against. He skates better than Foligno does, and probably has a better stick. He's as big, not sure if he's as mean. For a big guy to skate that well, though, that is something to start with. 

While watching Greenway/Kunin mature, Tage Thompson also caught my eye mainly due to size. I thought Greenway was ahead of him and Thompson was, well, destined for 3rd/4th line career minutes. Somehow, he figured it out. My hope is that Stramel will do the same, but at this point it is seeming like a far more distant hope. Perhaps a guy like Faber can reach him? Same age group. If Faber is captain type material, he'll probably reach out to him by himself. 

Verified Member

Tkachuk with an important one for FL, Game 1. Verhaeghe making his own breaks too.

Dallas looked good in their loss. Here's another story on Johnston. I'd say the draft guru with a resume that speaks for itself can have the title. Guruing guys into the league a few years later than Dallas or FL doesn't blow doors off anyone. Dallas percieved 6-8 teams between them and Detroit like chumps and got two studs out of three with one used to acquire a solid defender. Tough shit boys, our GM likes NoJo. Tells me everything I need to know...

https://www.nhl.com/news/how-dallas-stars-got-wyatt-johnston-in-2021-nhl-draft

Verified Member

Yea, unfortunately Dallas does look good… at least they beat Colorado. It looks like Johnston and the players on the Texas Stars dominance in the A will give the Wild some tough competition. I really hope our Prospects are as good as they’re hyped up to be.

• Like 1

Verified Member

I agree, I like the Wild's new prospects. At one point last Spring, I thought Heidt wouldn't have been a terrible 1st round pick if others were gone. The Wild getting him in the 3rd round is pretty good, but then again Beckman was a 3rd.

It just makes such a big difference if the young guys can become difference makers right away. The Wild might have lots of hype but the bar is set pretty high by other Central teams like Dallas or STL who have picked up numerous good players in the first two rounds while MN is always waiting for their guys it seems. They need a big game player or three...

• Like 1

I know we are not supposed to say this but the way Dallas is constructed with a balance of skill (pavelski, Robertson, Wyatt), grit/rat (March), alpha (Benn), youth (stank, Harley), back end skill (#4), and the list goes on.  There’s not a single jofa neck beard in that room.  This org has the look of a dynasty for next decade

5 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I know we are not supposed to say this but the way Dallas is constructed with a balance of skill (pavelski, Robertson, Wyatt), grit/rat (March), alpha (Benn), youth (stank, Harley), back end skill (#4), and the list goes on.  There’s not a single jofa neck beard in that room.  This org has the look of a dynasty for next decade

Oh yah, an absolute unit in the net

#fuck

Verified Member

That's what's so aggravating. MN can bitch about having no top 5 picks, but look around at what other teams are doing.

MN had been in a position to get Oettinger. They could have had Johnston, Robertson, and the list goes on. Marchment, a UFA could have been had but Guerin spent money on Goligoski which looking back could have been replaced cheap. 

Looking at Goodrow scoring the OT GWG for NYR last night and I thought, "didn't he play for SJ when they went to the finals?" Weird hoe some players are always getting back to the late rounds. Some coaches too. The two Russians and Oettinger make top three remaining goalies in my book. EDM goaltending is the x-factor in that series IMO.

Verified Member

I was listening to some of the analysts talk after the Rangers lost game 1 to the Panthers 3-0 and they suggested putting Rempe in game 2  .  Had me scratching my head as to what for   made no sense to me what that would accomplish  yet these guys are former pros experts .  

Verified Member

^^^

Kulikov smoked Rempe into the boards at one point. NYR got the win but FL had a few posts and Shesterkin played well stopping some good chances. 

MN is a long way off from contention currently.

Verified Member
33 minutes ago, Protec said:

MN is a long way off from contention currently.

Yea, still about 4 months left, but then they will dominate. Mark my words…

• Haha 1

Verified Member
17 hours ago, Sam said:

Yea, still about 4 months left, but then they will dominate. Mark my words…

I like the optimism but just using Dallas as an example from the Central, they've got their young guys learning from Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, and their second tier of scorers is Duchene and Dadanov, while Hintz or Robertson fill a gap between top vets and youth/complimentary guys. With their coach, they're getting on the job training deep in the playoffs while MN keeps it's fingers crossed.

My point is the same which is MN has a ways to go when their young guys are learning from, Zuccarello, Foligno, Fleury, and Fred. The secondary scoring comes from NoJo or inexperienced rookies and they're getting zero playoff reps. That's a stark contrast. I just think it's foolish for us to expect too much from the group MN has, that couldn't beat any Central teams this year consistently apart from Chicago.

• Like 1

Verified Member

Barclay Goodrow is an alternate captain and makes less than Foligno. Today in the Rangers win he scored twice. Broken record, I know but why do the same guys always show up to be good in big games?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Protec said:

Barclay Goodrow is an alternate captain and makes less than Foligno. Today in the Rangers win he scored twice. Broken record, I know but why do the same guys always show up to be good in big games?

I agree that Guerin was left with bare cupboards but extending Foligno to be the heart, soul and backbone of this core was such a mistake.  Guerin needs to be trading any aging assets.   I need to make June a Foligno free month because I go to a dark place when he comes up.  Dallas GM would have flipped Foligno for a prospect (who becomes a third line shut down guy) and a prospect who becomes a middle six winger.  
#dontbedumbbill 

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1

Verified Member

Dallas draft picks again coming up huge. Jason Robertson with the hat-trick, Johnston pots one, and Heiskenin with the EN insurance goal.

Oettinger victimized by a greasy one off Hyman but .933% between the pipes. 

Wow! A few guys MN could have drafted themselves. 

Verified Member

Yea that game was depressing. I thought had Edmonton was going to win after they were up 2-0. But I guess it was too early to get my hopes up after one period. They say goaltenders take longer to develop and good things come to those who wait… hopefully 

• Like 1

Verified Member

MN made a very similar play to get Wallstedt as Dallas did to get Ottienger at the draft. It appears to be a good move. The discomfort seeing 2017 picks winning late round playoff games or the Wallstedt double-alternative making a big name for himself sucks. 2017 Wild could have already nailed down their franchise goalie if they had that pick therefore Johnston is available and MN doesn’t need to move up for an elite Swede goalie. Sheiiit, I’d rather have the kid from Lakeville. No offense Wallstedt.

Webjust need the Wild players to decide they’re gonna obliterate the common narratives about the team. Then we wouldn’t focus near as much on all the past failures that seemed obvious even then. 

I like the Wallstedt pick for 2021 but you just hate to see MN be plainly outdone by Dallas. Somebody tell Judd Brackett, Joe McDonnell is the real “draft guru.”

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Protec said:

When Lambos gets runner-up for the Calder and Wallstedt is .950% in the Conference Finals, then I’ll give Brackett some atta-bios.

😃

As my grandad used to say "don't hold your hand on your ass until the Lambos prediction comes true".

Yah, I don't understand the saying either but you get the point.

Wallstedt needs to become Patty Roy 2.0 to match the hype.  Good luck young man.  Let's all assume he comes to camp looking like he spent the summer at MNFan's thickness camp, or the whispers will begin.

• Haha 1

Verified Member

I know this is a Minnesota Wild based website, but since they’re not in the playoffs I’m gunna say “let’s go Oilers!”

• Like 1

Verified Member

Suter was a -2 but he didn't suffer career-ending diarrhea like I've been hoping for years so that's too bad. Still nice to see him taking some lumps.

The first goal, he hog-ties Oettinger so that was especially ugly. 

Stanky Leg is especially impressive.  That little bull dog isn’t playing 4th line minutes, he played 15+ minutes last night in conference final game and is consistently making hockey plays.  Memo to Brackett: find us some Stank in this years draft

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Protec said:

Suter was a -2 but he didn't suffer career-ending diarrhea like I've been hoping for years so that's too bad. Still nice to see him taking some lumps.

The first goal, he hog-ties Oettinger so that was especially ugly. 

That line up is a perfect mix of youth (Harley , stank, Robertson, Johnston) + vets (pav, Benn, sequin, duschene) + they even found a top tier #1 goalie.  WTF is their formula?   Take notes Guerin. If their GM calls, hang up immediately

#dontbedumbbill

Verified Member
4 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

That line up is a perfect mix of youth (Harley , stank, Robertson, Johnston) + vets (pav, Benn, sequin, duschene) + they even found a top tier #1 goalie.  WTF is their formula?   Take notes Guerin. If their GM calls, hang up immediately

#dontbedumbbill

Just ask, what would Joe McDonnell do???

#therealdraftguru