Hockey Wilderness

Article: Matt Dumba, Lightning Eliminated From Playoffs

So, what have the Panthers done to suddenly start winning playoff series? Answer: traded for Matthew Tkachuk. Last season it took almost the full regular season for them to figure out where the pieces fit, but once they did, wow.

They had to give up Huberdeau and a good defender with extras to make this work, all for a guy who wasn't signing in Calgary long term. I think there is a lesson here to be learned.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

So, what have the Panthers done to suddenly start winning playoff series? Answer: traded for Matthew Tkachuk. Last season it took almost the full regular season for them to figure out where the pieces fit, but once they did, wow.

They had to give up Huberdeau and a good defender with extras to make this work, all for a guy who wasn't signing in Calgary long term. I think there is a lesson here to be learned.

So, you're saying Kaprizov isn't staying, so trade him for the best center a team is willing to get rid of, and then other picks?  That might be a sad reality at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

So, you're saying Kaprizov isn't staying, so trade him for the best center a team is willing to get rid of, and then other picks?  That might be a sad reality at some point.

Not exactly. Brady Tkachuk is listed as a LW. I realize we have a boatload of LWs, but Tkachuk is a different type of player, a winner, a guy who pitches fits when he loses. He's a hard working guy and a pain in the butt to play against. If you want to change the direction of the team, you look for changing talent. This guy is a team changing talent. I can tell you this, there will be no cheap shots that go unretaliated if he is on the team!

• Like 1

What are the odds a team wants to do a "star for star" swap though?  Most trades for big time players usually amount to a couple major picks, 1-2 prospects, and some salary dumps.  Tkachuk would be nice, but if Kaprizov doesn't like being here, there's no way in hell Ottawa would do much better.  Ottawa has about as bad if not worse ownership and derpiness than we do.

I know the Panthers and Calgary did something like that, but the Panthers made out like bandits in hindsight.

Edited by Citizen Strife

Verified Member
3 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

I know the Panthers and Calgary did something like that, but the Panthers made out like bandits in hindsight.

The key here was that Tkachuk wasn't going to sign long term in Calgary. This is different with Brady, he's already signed long term in Ottawa. But, if he expresses to his GM that he's done and wants to move, the GM needs to quietly find him a new home. Calgary's was public and instantly had a very good big team become not a destination to play. Ottawa already has a similar reputation, Staios doesn't really want that to get out. 

I could see Brady doing this privately, and if he gets impatient going public with wanting to be traded. He has no designations so they could trade him to purgatory if they want to. So, there is an assumption here that there is fire under the smoke of "I'm sick and tired of losing." 

Let's remember, the trade, if one occurs, has to help both teams with their goals. Also, is there any other player in the league that plays the game like Guerin did? I would think Brady would be coveted by Guerin.

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Brady Tkachuk is listed as a LW. I realize we have a boatload of LWs, but Tkachuk is a different type of player, a winner, a guy who pitches fits when he loses.

He's had a lot of practice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Verified Member

If kappy were to be traded he is in the drivers seat. He’s going to tell us where he wants to go so we can get full value. No team is going to mortgage their future if they don’t know he’ll resign with them . We could still take a chance and trade him to whomever but at a  big discount. It would most likely be a sign and trade to the team he wants. So that will be the team we get to plunder. Not us getting to plunder any team we want.  Who ever gets the best player in a trade usually wins the trade. This is a copy cat league. Everyone has witnessed what the Eichel  and Matt t trades have done . So my guess is teams are going to be coming for kappy. 
  If we did trade kappy we will lose the trade. He’ll want to go to a good team. That team will have late draft picks . Yes you’ll get roster players but nothing comparable to kappy. We want to keep kappy so I suggest Billy starts acting like it. 

16 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Not exactly. Brady Tkachuk is listed as a LW. I realize we have a boatload of LWs, but Tkachuk is a different type of player, a winner, a guy who pitches fits when he loses. He's a hard working guy and a pain in the butt to play against. If you want to change the direction of the team, you look for changing talent. This guy is a team changing talent. I can tell you this, there will be no cheap shots that go unretaliated if he is on the team!

Mortgaging the Wild's future (prospects, picks, etc) for a player to fill the role that Foligno is paid to do?  Stall the re-build for 3-5 yrs so that we can add another physical, emotional, hearty glue guy.  I'm a fan of all things Tkachuk, but are we really going to talk about this for the next three months?

• Like 3

Verified Member
12 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I'm a fan of all things Tkachuk, but are we really going to talk about this for the next three months?

Well, we'll be talking about what we can do to make the roster better. I just happen to be fixated on this particular piece, and anyone who's known me over the years will remember, I don't let things go easily.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Well, we'll be talking about what we can do to make the roster better. I just happen to be fixated on this particular piece, and anyone who's known me over the years will remember, I don't let things go easily.

Is Brady thick enough?

#okI'llstop

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Yep, with him, I'd be working on edges and skill drills. 

You'd mortgage the Wild's future for a player in his prime who needs work on his edges and skills.  Again, Foligno is already this player who needs work on his skating, hands, and overall ability to execute a hockey play.  Wouldn't it be smarter to go find this off-seasons DeLo/Reaves/Maroon than to sell the future for Tkachuk?  Everybody understands it'd take a king's ransom to get Tkachuk, right?

Verified Member

Canes advance setting up a series with NYR. 

Several teams have been eliminated. Considering out non-playoff team this season, how does it feel to be a TBL, Caps, Jets, NYI fan right now? Eliminated in 5 games or under. Was it worth it?

CHL-

Moose Jaw took the 2-1 series lead, no points for Parker

Oshawa takes care of business and is up 3-0, Kumpulainen an apple

Saginaw is on the board but down 2-1, Haight with 2g 1a. Before I had said that Calem Ritchie was hurt and Haight was taking over at center for him. That is wrong, Ritchie plays for Oshawa. I honestly don't know why Haight was at center, but his normal center Owen Beck and him were reunited. Haight is also a bit of a showman, he should be fun to watch in Iowa.

• Like 1

Verified Member
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

You'd mortgage the Wild's future for a player in his prime who needs work on his edges and skills. 

Yes I would. Tkachuk had 37-37-74 last season. But he's 24 and 6'4" 225. Guys built like this can always use work on the edges, and I think there is more skill that can come out of him. When Ek was 24, he was still working on that stuff. 

Plus, Brady is Matthew's little brother. You don't think that there is a burning desire for Brady to outscore Matthew? It takes work, and work is what Tkachuk's do.

One thing we know, Judd passed on Matthew in the draft. Why? Likely, Matthew did not fit his profile which was a smooth skating forward. Guys who are taller don't usually look smooth skating at 17. I'd assume Brady is similar. Personally, I think Judd ranks the skating trait a little high, because he has a tendency to target shorter/smaller players who skate better at 17. I think he needs to revamp this part of his evaluation. I'd say adding a little for player's heart.

Edited by mnfaninnc

7 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Tkachuk had 37-37-74 last season. But he's 24 and 6'4" 225. Guys built like this can always use work on the edges

His points and age are both better than I thought.  Even with that said though it would take a Fletcher-ian trade to acquire Tkachuk and this fan has no interest in watching the SJS + 97 + Tkachuk for next two years until 97 takes his U-haul on down the road.  Hard pass from me.

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Mortgaging the Wild's future (prospects, picks, etc) for a player to fill the role that Foligno is paid to do?  Stall the re-build for 3-5 yrs so that we can add another physical, emotional, hearty glue guy.  I'm a fan of all things Tkachuk, but are we really going to talk about this for the next three months?

Exactly, who wouldn't love a Tkachuk on the team, but besides just convincing the Sens to take an offer, you'd have to outbid all the other teams who are likely to want him just as badly. That's not to even mention the cap issues involved with a deal like that. It's a pipedream IMO.

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

Echo this! Go for it, try to pry him away. If he is as serious about winning as his brother, he won't say no at a chance to be paired with a top 10 player. And Kap is that. I think he is top 7 honestly, but whatever let's say - top 10.

Use your assets while those assets are still coveted! Riley Heidt is at a high right now. Send him, Rossi, Gus (welcome back to Ottawa Gus!!) plus Spurge (he is an X-captain and from Canada / leadership quality), first round pick.

If that flames out, try Guentzel - go to Beauty League game and talk to him. Tell him the plan. Work it! There is no harm in trying, otherwise - we will be more irrelevant than Coyotes in 2 years. Put it this way - what would happen to Wolves fandom should Edwards decide to leave next year - this is what Wild will look like. Cheers  🍻

• Like 1

Verified Member

Rumors are churning that if Toronto bows out to Boston, Sheldon Keefe may be available as a coach. For those who can remember, even longer than Protec's obsession with Guerin, was mine as Keefe for head coach. I brought up his name when Yeo was still employed. 

If Keefe became available, could Guerin bring him in? I'm not necessarily saying as head coach either, just bringing him into the organization. Could someone like Keefe run a player personnel department? Or could he fill a role like AGM?

4 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Rumors are churning that if Toronto bows out to Boston, Sheldon Keefe may be available as a coach. For those who can remember, even longer than Protec's obsession with Guerin, was mine as Keefe for head coach. I brought up his name when Yeo was still employed. 

If Keefe became available, could Guerin bring him in? I'm not necessarily saying as head coach either, just bringing him into the organization. Could someone like Keefe run a player personnel department? Or could he fill a role like AGM?

Not sure you put in third coach in three years and reassure stability or confidence….you are stuck w Hynes and make it work

but maybe the fallout is an impulsive decision to trade leafs core and they move on from nylander and wrongfully keep marner?

First - they have to be bounced in next game

Verified Member
19 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

Not sure you put in third coach in three years and reassure stability or confidence….you are stuck w Hynes and make it work

I'm looking for hockey guys to fill out the front office. IMO Keefe qualifies. I am not necessarily looking for him as "head coach," but would be looking for him to join the organization in some capacity. I'm still convinced that Sully is the coach Shooter is looking for.

Verified Member

Sadly, I read Russo's Q&A with Yurov. Yurov is staying in Russia one more year. Yurov pointed to getting stronger and more consistent in his game. He also didn't feel like he dominated the league and he felt he had room to grow. 

Apparently, Bombardir, Hendricks and McLeod keep up with him weekly. Communication from the Wild is a big thing, I'm glad they are doing that. However, that trio worries me. All were grinders, and there's a certain mindset that goes with that. To me, it looks like we could use a couple of different types of eyes in that room.

I've proposed before that splitting this department into coordinators organization wide would be a good choice. Can they do that? Maybe. We've got a defenseman and 2 forwards there. I'd prefer a defenseman, goalie and 2 forwards. Maybe Fleury becomes one?

For the forwards, I think identifying top 6 and bottom 6 players quickly would separate the players. 1 forward coordinator would work more with the bottom 6ers, and another with the top 6ers. A defense, and goalie coordinator works with their position players. This would be all through the organization and include prospects. 

Looking on Bombardir's google page, it appears that he actually has 2 responsibilities unrelated to each other. If it were me, I think I'd push him into the community relations role a bit more. I think I'd also steer Cody McLeod into coaching off the bench. I think I'd keep Matt Hendricks in the department.

With all the stars this state has produced, I think I'd look at some of them to work in the player development area. I think you could find some guys that had long NHL careers and their voices would be deeply respected by the kids. I just don't see that in the current group.

6 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I'm looking for hockey guys to fill out the front office. IMO Keefe qualifies. I am not necessarily looking for him as "head coach," but would be looking for him to join the organization in some capacity. I'm still convinced that Sully is the coach Shooter is looking for.

Unless he can help manage finances, I’d let it go. Keep your focus on one thing - ensuring Kap is here. All else is noise. More voices may not be what’s best. But as long as the “vision” is the same - optimizing Kap by building HIS team, I don’t care much who is behind the scenes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Sadly, I read Russo's Q&A with Yurov. Yurov is staying in Russia one more year. Yurov pointed to getting stronger and more consistent in his game. He also didn't feel like he dominated the league and he felt he had room to grow. 

Apparently, Bombardir, Hendricks and McLeod keep up with him weekly. Communication from the Wild is a big thing, I'm glad they are doing that. However, that trio worries me. All were grinders, and there's a certain mindset that goes with that. To me, it looks like we could use a couple of different types of eyes in that room.

I've proposed before that splitting this department into coordinators organization wide would be a good choice. Can they do that? Maybe. We've got a defenseman and 2 forwards there. I'd prefer a defenseman, goalie and 2 forwards. Maybe Fleury becomes one?

For the forwards, I think identifying top 6 and bottom 6 players quickly would separate the players. 1 forward coordinator would work more with the bottom 6ers, and another with the top 6ers. A defense, and goalie coordinator works with their position players. This would be all through the organization and include prospects. 

Looking on Bombardir's google page, it appears that he actually has 2 responsibilities unrelated to each other. If it were me, I think I'd push him into the community relations role a bit more. I think I'd also steer Cody McLeod into coaching off the bench. I think I'd keep Matt Hendricks in the department.

With all the stars this state has produced, I think I'd look at some of them to work in the player development area. I think you could find some guys that had long NHL careers and their voices would be deeply respected by the kids. I just don't see that in the current group.

The biggest take away from that read for me was him saying something like “if Kaprizov is here or not” so he may have slipped up and said something that should have been off record. At this point, have an honest convo w Kap - if he wants out, get him off to flyers and get Mitchkov here. 

• Like 1