Hockey Wilderness

Article: When To Expect Danila Yurov In Minnesota

Verified Member

What if the Wild get even worse and perhaps get an even better draft pick before their clean-slate cap year? 

Bombed out and depleted neck beards and soft-nicknamed old-codgers might really land the Wild in the dumps. Would that be good? Give ya reason to 86 all future Men's league'rs and retirees on locker cleanout day.

Honestly, as long as Faber and Rossi get extensions before playing even better and costing more, whatever else happens is immaterial.  Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, and Heidt should be evaluated, but take care of the biggest concerns first.

• Like 1

I simply don't like the plan of leaving Yurov in Russia. The time is now for transition. Bring him over now. If he doesn't make the big squad, I have no problem with loaning him back to the K. 

It's also time for him to go up a league. I think Shooter needs to try and press the issue a little more with him. It may take a little time to assimilate, and we'd want that to happen before '25-26. I realize he can develop in Russia, probably better than in Iowa, but he's ready for this new challenge.

I can still remember draft night where he went considerably lower than he thought. The look on his face was that of taking franchise names, and they would pay. It's time for that to start now.

I'm still in prospect development mode as far as expectations go, but am, myself, transitioning into the future is now mode. Results tend to lag, so my expectation would be that there will be inconsistency in play this coming year. 

What would that look like? With kids, when they are rolling, they are playing with great confidence (winning streak), but when they are not, they are playing with little confidence (losing streak). So it would look like a streaky team. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Protec said:

What if the Wild get even worse and perhaps get an even better draft pick before their clean-slate cap year? 

Bombed out and depleted neck beards and soft-nicknamed old-codgers might really land the Wild in the dumps. Would that be good? Give ya reason to 86 all future Men's league'rs and retirees on locker cleanout day.

Sounds like exit interview day was peak apathy.  Your move Guerin.  We thought the buyouts were the cost of a cure, but it’s metastasized and is in full bloom again in the current core.   Going to be a lot of bottom 6’rs going thru the motions (cardio for three periods) for next couple years waiting for the next round of buyouts

#happy Friday

Edited by Pewterschmidt

3 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Sounds like exit interview day was peak apathy.  Your move Guerin.  We thought the buyouts were the cost of a cure, but it’s metastasized and is in full bloom again in the current core.   Going to be a lot of bottom 6’rs going thru the motions for next couple years waiting for the next round of buyouts

Why does it have to be buyouts? Why can't we simply trade them out? Zuccarello is probably the only one who can veto that, but all the others have destinations that wouldn't require their permission. 

Sure, you wouldn't get that much for them, but it's also not like they really gave us hometown discounts either this time around. Trade them, they're making market value. 

• Like 1

We’ll see in the coming days if winning the championship Wednesday changed his mindset

Not 100% determined yet. Seems quite clear that Yurov would be in the NHL next season if he wants to be. Certainly seems more ready than Khusnutdinov and Heidt. Ohgren will be on the Wild.

Heidt can play another year in WHL, building strength, before jumping in.

2 hours ago, Protec said:

My suggestion to the Wild is to evaluate and trim fat over the next year. Be prepared for who's getting extensions and no more given to old-duffers. 

Yeah, hawk the dead weight loogy at the deadline. Shit, just give some away

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Not 100% determined yet. Seems quite clear that Yurov would be in the NHL next season if he wants to be. Certainly seems more ready than Khusnutdinov and Heidt. Ohgren will be on the Wild.

Heidt can play another year in WHL, building strength, before jumping in.

Yeah, I think this too.  Heidt is developing nicely, but I feel like he's going to crash right into a brick wall if he comes straight into the NHL.

I'd rather see him in the AHL, but if it's a choice between the WHL or the NHL, leave in the WHL, advise him to hit the weight room, and move him to the AHL as soon as he can he assigned there.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Why does it have to be buyouts? Why can't we simply trade them out? Zuccarello is probably the only one who can veto that, but all the others have destinations that wouldn't require their permission. 

Sure, you wouldn't get that much for them, but it's also not like they really gave us hometown discounts either this time around. Trade them, they're making market value. 

Do foligno and Hartman have full no trades? I thought they did. I know freddy and Jojo can be sent down and I think they should.

I also agree with you on yurov being here NOW. They need to see if he can live up to the billing and if he takes off that would be a big way into getting kap to resign.

Verified Member

Reading that hockey writer’s article about kappy not willing to  commit to long term with the wild until he sees what next year is like should send chills down fans spines . If Billy loses kappy it will be a complete failure of competitive rebuild.  Who cares about all these prospects if kappy  is playing for someone else. They don’t have another kappy coming.  You only get that talent by drafting in top 5 or being really lucky and hitting on some random late pick . Not something you can bank on .  
      I’m not a fan of Billy. My patience with him has run out . I liked what he said at end season presser but don’t think he can do it . He created his own mess. He could lose kappy because he can’t manage the cap , roster or contracts . I said I thought he has grown but is it enough to put a playoff team together by next year to prove to kappy he knows what he’s doing? I doubt it . They may get to playoffs but they’ll get run over with our weak d core , undersized forwards and lack of physicality. Billy’s clauses make it really hard to make big changes we need to this roster . The kind of changes we need to compete with these playoff teams that are a level above us . 
      The wild do not have a bright future until Billy puts a playoff team together kappy likes  . Kappy knows best  what is needed now to help him . It’s not prospects that are years away. By the time they get here he’s gone  so it’s time to start selling assets like Vegas to get proven players now  . Rossi will get traded and should  I’m glad they’ve identified he’s not for us this early in his career. It better than wasting years developing him to be top center for the sharks . Just like getting rid of Addison was a good idea .  Billy needs to identity alphas and trade for them. . Move out the entitled sheep! 
    Wild fans should be concerned about kappy  . I am.  Billy’s tenure would be a waste if he left but I’d be for it for  kappys sake. If billy can’t build a playoff team now than kappy needs to go win somewhere  else.  Guys  like him should be playing late in playoffs for whatever team so nhl fans can see it . Not withering away on a team using him to sell jerseys. 

Verified Member

It’s crazy to think Billy has spent his tenure worrying more about the fun the guys are having together off the ice than getting guys who want to win on the ice. Alphas. In doing so he probably loses kappy . To think those lazy veterans with there extensions and clauses can’t show up for the season is ridiculous. Which in turn proves to kappy we are a clown show that doesn’t know what it’s doing. Not having cap space or the ability to make trades is such a rookie gm move. Why would kappy have any faith in bill or the wild?  I had a feeling kappy wouldn’t want to resign . Reading his apprehension makes it real now. . 

Verified Member

Yurov might be NHL ready sooner than 2025-26 but there have been KHL guys who have fizzled in the NHL and it wasn't helpful for their career overall. 

Kaprizov is big for the Wild and Guerin 100% needs to improve the playoff roster composition. 

20 hours ago, Need4speed99 said:

Do foligno and Hartman have full no trades? I thought they did. I know freddy and Jojo can be sent down and I think they should.

Both do this year, but later in the contract it transitions to a M-NTC. I believe the NMC is for 1 year with Hartman, 2 years with Foligno, and all 2 years with Zuccarello. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dean said:

Wild fans should be concerned about kappy  . I am.  Billy’s tenure would be a waste if he left but I’d be for it for  kappys sake. If billy can’t build a playoff team now than kappy needs to go win somewhere  else.  Guys  like him should be playing late in playoffs for whatever team so nhl fans can see it . Not withering away on a team using him to sell jerseys. 

There's a difference between a contender and a competitive team. Reading Dean's comment here, I sense a lot of fear, and ripping a team apart to make a competitive team that can GET to the playoffs. And doing this to appease Kaprizov.

IMO, Kaprizov is not interested in a team that can GET to the playoffs and then fizzle, like the last 3 years. He wants a contending team, which is a team that has yet to be unveiled. Some of the pieces are already arriving, some aren't here yet. If I was Kaprizov, though, I wouldn't be looking behind me at what the Wild have done, I'd be looking ahead of me to what the Wild could do. 

For instance, you say guys like Kappy are only found in the top 5 or by getting lucky. The stats say that the Boldy-Ek-Kaprizov line was one of the most dangerous lines in the NHL. We're looking at #11 in 2019, #22(?) in 2015 and a 5th round pick for that line. Not one is a top 5 pick. Ek took a little longer to develop his skill side but he did it. Yurov was taken a little later than Ek in his draft year, and he looks to be a star on the rise. 

What I'm pretty sure of is that top 5 picks are skating in the NHL at 20. Later picks need more development time. But a lack of patience can derail these guys. So far, GMBG has shown that patience. He's allowed these guys to grow their game. There is a big difference between the team he has on the ice now, and the team he's building. If I were looking at things, this is how I would judge if I wanted to be here or not. 

For a reference point, this is how Vancouver and Pettersson have been. Does Elias Pettersson see a team that can win? He got the answer this year. 

If this current team can stay healthy, especially with the important players, I have no doubt we'll be back in the playoffs. But, this current roster is not the one I'd be looking at if I were Kaprizov. In 2 years, it will be easy to move just about any vet if you want.

• Like 3

CHL last night:

Oshawa won, Kumpulainen with an apple and nice faceoff %

Moose Jaw won, Kalem Parker +4

Prince George won, Heidt an apple

Saginaw lost, Haight an apple and good face offs. He is still filling in at #1C for an injured Calem Ritchie.

All series started last night.

• Like 2

Verified Member

He doesn't have to be Ovi or Malkin.

Others have struggled to transition from KHL success to the NHL.

I hate to see NoJo suit up even one more game but Yurov should be free to develop whichever way is best for him to join the Wild long term in the future. One more year would be good for the kid to keep a good thing going and build his strength and confidence. Maybe even win again. 

I personally would hate for him to be forced to watch NoJo play his spot on the second line or be buried beneath an amatuer golfer who hasn't won the Gagarin Cup or a playoff series where he had any impact whatsoever getting the idea the GM and coach have steamed potatoes beneath their skulls and love their Massachussets-boys or elite Swedes above everything.