Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Kings May Be Ideal Trading Partners For Minnesota This Summer

Verified Member

Not too sure about these suggested players. MN already has developing logjams and prospect pecking order.

If MN is gonna trade or acquire players, I’d expect Guerin to target established guys who can come in justifiably ahead of young guys. 

If the Wild could sign UFA Warren Foegele and get rid of Johansson somehow, that would make sense to improve the team.(40pt big NA guy.) Getting other marginal type guys or incomplete players isn’t my idea of how to improve. 

• Like 4

Verified Member
30 minutes ago, viper3119 said:

Is this MNFans burner account writing this article?

Patrick thinks it's AI. 😀

I think the Wild should start with benching NoJo. 

Plus if it was mnfaninnc there'd be bulking up in the weight room Kaliyev criticisms.

Edited by Protec
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Protec said:

Not too sure about these suggested players. MN already has developing logjams and prospect pecking order.

If MN is gonna trade or acquire players, I’d expect Guerin to target established guys who can come in justifiably ahead of young guys. 

If the Wild could sign UFA Warren Foegele and get rid of Johansson somehow, that would make sense to improve the team.(40pt big NA guy.) Getting other marginal type guys or incomplete players isn’t my idea of how to improve. 

With what money?  Foegele is coming off a 41 point season and a 3x2.75M contract...his base salary this season is 3.25M, my guess he's looking $3.25-3.75M AAV for 3-4 years.  Quick glance at what the oilers fans are saying and they seem to think some stupid team is going to go $4M for him.

Which is in the same playing field to the Foligno ($4x4), Hartman ($4x3) and Zucarello ($4.125x2) which everyone around here hates.

Paying that type of money for another bottom/middle six forward doesn't make much sense to me. 

Also, he's not played with the Pittsburgh org nor does he have a family member on the MN Wild staff so I'd be highly doubtful BillyG has any interest anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's my take...How about giving the "Let's Trade Agenda" a rest?! Let GMBG do the thinking concerning any trade possibilities.

The Wild will likely have to give up multiple young players and prospects like Declan Chisholm

We finally get a capable D man for cheap and you want to trade him away? OMG Bonkers!

• Like 3

Verified Member
1 hour ago, MrCheatachu said:

With what money?  Foegele is coming off a 41 point season and a 3x2.75M contract...his base salary this season is 3.25M, my guess he's looking $3.25-3.75M AAV for 3-4 years.  Quick glance at what the oilers fans are saying and they seem to think some stupid team is going to go $4M for him.

Which is in the same playing field to the Foligno ($4x4), Hartman ($4x3) and Zucarello ($4.125x2) which everyone around here hates.

Paying that type of money for another bottom/middle six forward doesn't make much sense to me. 

Also, he's not played with the Pittsburgh org nor does he have a family member on the MN Wild staff so I'd be highly doubtful BillyG has any interest anyways.

I'm not really suggesting that specific guy necessarily but if we looked at the production you get from NoJo or Foligno and their cost plus what they bring to the ice every game, a guy like that would be an upgrade. 

Since Guerin sent Sturm and Bjugstad packing plus signed NoJo and Foligno, it's gonna be nearly impossible but maybe not if Gus was traded. The 1M recapture from Fleury and 2M from Goligoski might be enough to get DuClair or Trenin or similar affordable role players. The Wild obviously aren't trading for an expensive star player yet but they'll need to improve the depth somehow. The right player at ~3M could be perfect to improve the Wild IMO. 

In general though, you're right. Guerin would need to find a suitable substitute for a Bertuzzi or Guentzal type guy MN wouldn't be able to afford or give too much term. 

I can see where Kalisha is trying to help, but I think we've misunderstood some of the problems here. It's not just getting bigger. On the PP, where Kalisha is trying to help, the #1 thing we need is someone in Ovechkin's office to open up the PP. If that guy were a larger body it would be ideal, but he's got to have a lethal shot from that spot. 

So, I would be targeting RHS larger players in this scenario. I think if they are maybe a little unproven, such as trading prospects for prospects it could still work. I also think there might be a way to pry Laine loose from CBJ, especially since he went into the mental health assistance program. I would think you could convince CBJ to retain too. 

If you want to get Kaprizov's assists higher, having a shooting option on that side of the ice is necessary. 

So I have a question, everyone wants the wild to be bigger and stronger and that is more important than anything else YET several high profile teams are lighter and smaller overall. 

The only thing the wild are in the top 5 for is being old... wondering how this all helps?

Skill wins out, reaching for guys like stramel vs Perreault is a recipe for losing. Skill wins out. You can always draft low 6 big guys in later rounds.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Verified Member
10 hours ago, Need4speed99 said:

So I have a question, everyone wants the wild to be bigger and stronger and that is more important than anything else YET several high profile teams are lighter and smaller overall. 

The only thing the wild are in the top 5 for is being old... wondering how this all helps?

Skill wins out, reaching for guys like stramel vs Perreault is a recipe for losing. Skill wins out. You can always draft low 6 big guys in later rounds.

The age thing can be overrated. The Wild are old in depth positions and net (where would they rank if you took Fluery out and put Wallstedt in?)

Verified Member
12 hours ago, Need4speed99 said:

Gabe Perreault had 60pts out of 36 games at Boston college I think he lead all of college in points or close to it. Size is extremely important in the playoffs. Of these so called high profile teams, are any of them highly successful in the playoffs?

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Patrick said:

The age thing can be overrated. The Wild are old in depth positions and net (where would they rank if you took Fluery out and put Wallstedt in?)

I don’t think taking one player out is going to do much. A lot of our core is well into their 30s. age absolutely is a factor. Statistically players start regressing consistently after 29 years old. The average age of every Stanley cup winning team in the last 10 years is 26-27 years old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mateo3xm said:

I don’t think taking one player out is going to do much. A lot of our core is well into their 30s. age absolutely is a factor. Statistically players start regressing consistently after 29 years old. The average age of every Stanley cup winning team in the last 10 years is 26-27 years old.

Our top 6 is pretty young on average.  Zucc is an outlier but should be replaced by Yurov in 25-26. 

Also, don't read too much into that regression curve based on age.  It is skewed for injuries.  

7 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

Our top 6 is pretty young on average.  Zucc is an outlier but should be replaced by Yurov in 25-26. 

Also, don't read too much into that regression curve based on age.  It is skewed for injuries.  

According to this website, which I have no clue how accurate it is, this season's wild ranks https://leftwinglock.com/teams/biometrics/

• 16th for Age
  • 30th in Height
  • 20th in Weight

So we're dead middle of the pack for age, with some short husky fella's filling out their breezers.

Verified Member
4 hours ago, MrCheatachu said:

According to this website, which I have no clue how accurate it is, this season's wild ranks https://leftwinglock.com/teams/biometrics/

• 16th for Age
  • 30th in Height
  • 20th in Weight

So we're dead middle of the pack for age, with some short husky fella's filling out their breezers.

I have seen this average age of NHL teams posted on multiple sites. I don’t think 16th is right. We do have a good amount of players over 30.

Verified Member
4 hours ago, Will D. Ness said:

I don’t exactly follow how injuries impact this, also how do you know it’s skewed for injuries?

1 minute ago, Mateo3xm said:

I don’t exactly follow how injuries impact this, also how do you know it’s skewed for injuries?

I think it was one of the writers here that was talking about it a couple months ago. 

Working from memory here, there was a graph showing the decline at specific ages that had a pretty drastic bottoming out.  Face value it looked bad but upon further review, I think the writer basically said it wasn't representative due to not factoring in injuries.

47 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

I have seen this average age of NHL teams posted on multiple sites. I don’t think 16th is right. We do have a good amount of players over 30.

I believe that tweet references the average age of the roster at the start of the season, wereas the website I quoted calculates the weighted average of age per game this season (i.e. average age on for every game roster averaged out through the season)

By the end of the season, with Spurgeon (34, 16gp), Goose (38, 36gp), Maroon (35, 49gp for the wild) and Foligno (32, 55gp) not playing full seasons and replaced by the young guys we could afford the average age of the team drifted back towards the mean.

So yeah...I'm not sure what conclusion you want to draw from that, maybe what doomed us is some combination of the decrease in skill as players aged combined with the lack of durability to play a full season and then their only replacements are young AHL level tweeners?  I guess 'getting younger' doesn't tell the full picture, unless your younger players are on the upswing of their careers (Boldy/Rossi/Faber/etc)...if your roster is young because you can only afford pylons on ELC's then, well, idk how you fix that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patrick said:

I'm not sure what you are saying... the age caught up to them and letting youth play would least show where the team is headed, with the vets we KNOW the ceiling. 

12 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

Gabe Perreault had 60pts out of 36 games at Boston college I think he lead all of college in points or close to it. Size is extremely important in the playoffs. Of these so called high profile teams, are any of them highly successful in the playoffs?

Yea the avalanche, early Tampa Bay. The Blackhawks owned us years ago while being smaller but they went with skill over anything.

Verified Member
On 4/19/2024 at 9:17 AM, Mateo3xm said:

Who? Spurgeon and Zuccarello are the only ones I can think of. That's hardly a lot.