Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Minnesota Wild's Calder Power Rankings: 2024-25 Season Edition

For some reason, my gut tells me Yurov's intentions are to come over. I'm thinking he's the kind of player that will put up the numbers necessary for the Calder. 

One thing I really liked about Ogie and Dino (our new pets) are the symmetry they showed together on a line. I think you could put Hartman or Foligno on the other wing and it would be a productive line. Or, you could go with an all rookie line!

Lambos, I believe regardless of how much he bulks up is a year away. I didn't think that Hunt had a bad look while he was here. He got ole'd a couple of times, but overall, I liked his game and felt like they just should have retired Goligoski (whose I don't care attitude was evident) and put in Hunt. Chisholm is ahead of Hunt, specifically offensively, but Hunt can play and is more of a shutdown type of defender.

With Fleury's signing, I believe that puts The Wall up for the '25-26 Calder top tier. I'm not even considering Heidt here, he's dynamic, but needs to bulk up for the NHL.

I'm not like the others in being disappointed with our D prospects in Iowa. The only disappointment in their development I have is the lack of emphasizing their need to strengthen. Perhaps Heinzy can get this point across in training camp for those who refused this summer? Perhaps Heinzy can get his point across in a team meeting with the prospects included at the end of they year as to what he expects, and follow it up with personal strength/weight goals for each player? Perhaps Guerin can confirm the goals then? Maybe even everyone goes to Ogie's house to train?

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

The only disappointment in their development I have is the lack of emphasizing their need to strengthen.

Rossi is seemingly the only one to take Guerin and Evason's advice, sacrificed a lot, has had his hard work pay dividends and said he was looking forward to doing it again this offseason to grow his game even more, yet he's the one you want to get rid of. What a season for the rookie, played all 82 games goes to the corners, gets in the middle, pushes back, plays where he's asked to play, doesn't complain.

This is the guy you want to keep because he wants it and he's shown it. It's hard to get through to a lot of the younger generation. Beckman, Walker, Lambos, O'Rourke and even Boldy seem to have better things to do. Getting rid of Rossi would be a yuge mistake, but I guess I can easily see BG doing just that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

Or, you could go with an all rookie line

I’m hoping for “The Kids Rock” line. I like the idea of younger players developing chemistry moving forward. Give them time to sort things out and find roles that work. I’m in the camp that believes HCJH is talented enough to put players in positions to succeed. I hope GMBG’s focus is on getting the best players and letting John do his thing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Rossi is seemingly the only one to take Guerin and Evason's advice, sacrificed a lot, has had his hard work pay dividends and said he was looking forward to doing it again this offseason to grow his game even more, yet he's the one you want to get rid of.

I think you've misunderstood my position on trading Rossi. I am willing to trade him if it makes the team better, but I'm not interested in trading him to trade him. IMO, Jiricek would be one of those players. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I think you've misunderstood my position on trading Rossi. I am willing to trade him if it makes the team better, but I'm not interested in trading him to trade him. IMO, Jiricek would be one of those players. 

No I haven't misunderstood. My point is 90-95% of your posts are mentioning how someone needs to bulk up. To date I don't believe anyone has with the exception of Rossi. It's just ironic he's the guy that you want to trade.

I just don't know who you're going to get back that's as sure of a thing as Rossi in any trade. Jiricek sure ain't it in my opinion. He may or may not work out. If it's about needing a change of scenery trade Lambos or Beckman because you can say the same thing about them. Rossi doesn't need a change of scenery. He's damn near a guarantee to succeed as you're going to get. He's done what's asked of him and is going to do it all over again this summer to improve even more. 

13 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Jiricek sure ain't it in my opinion.

This is where our opinions differ. It's not on Rossi, I'd prefer to keep him. I would definitely target Jiricek as a pickup, but compensation does not need to be Rossi. If they are dealing with a disgruntled player, perhaps someone else would work?

And, you're right about Rossi, he is the only one that has heard this message and acted on it. I guess what I'm considering is this: #1 RHS pair > #2C. I do see Jiricek like that, that guy who can dominate offensively from the blue line. 

I'm not worried about Rossi being a short center for not being a #1, to me, Ek is a #1, and Rossi might get there in 3-4 years. But, right now he's a low level #2. Of course, Jiricek isn't a #1 pair either yet. I liked what I saw in the WJCs, and also thought that Spacek was pretty close to him in performance. Jiricek's just got that uncoachable size I'd want in a 1st pair defender. 

Now, what if we had both? I'd be extremely satisfied.

• Like 1

Also, Willy, in my trade of this, I was suggesting we swap 1st rounders with CBJ pending the draft lottery. If we were drafting 4th in CBJ's spot, I would be targeting Cayden Lindstrom, the center from Medicine Hat. 

Lindstrom got hurt (hand surgery) after 32 games, so there hasn't been much updating with him lately. I would think Lindstrom for Rossi would be at least a draw, and could help us more. 

What would be in it for CBJ? The get rid of a disgruntled player and get a center who is 3 years more developed than Lindstrom. Could Lindstrom make the jump next season? I think there's a possibility, but given the way Guerin likes to marinate his players, probably unlikely. But, it would be NHL or jrs. not AHL. 

• Like 1