Hockey Wilderness

Article: What Would It Mean For the Wild If They End Up With Two Calder Finalists?

It would be nice to have 2 on the finalist list, but even without that, their play makes it look like a bright future for the team. They both were top 5 in their rookie year and that's outstanding. And, we've got some candidates for next year too!

• Like 7

I've offered Daniel Briere as a comp for Rossi in the past and he now looks like he has a chance for a comparable career as an "undersized center". Briere was dominant in the AHL before Phoenix started giving him regular NHL time. Once they gave him a full season, around age 24, Briere tallied 32 NHL goals.

Rossi is 22, so has a couple of seasons to reach that level. He fell off a tad on scoring in the 2nd half, so may need to continue working on strength and endurance. Briere averaged just over 30 goals per 80 games from ages 24-33, reaching at least 24 goals in each season that he played over 45 games.

Rossi isn't there yet, but he's far closer than one may have imagined last year.

And Faber has far exceeded expectations so far. Hopefully Guerin can get both signed to solid extensions in the near future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

But hey, four Cup winners out of five is a strong track record for teams that graduated two Calder finalists in the same season. If Faber and Rossi can accomplish this feat, the Wild would seem to be on the fast track to a Stanley Cup.

just a shame we signed Gaudreau/Foligno/Zuccy/Hartman to those terrible contract extensions 😞 now we're locked in as losers for forever

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

He fell off a tad on scoring in the 2nd half, so may need to continue working on strength and endurance.

Rossi also was stuck with "Flittering Freddy" and NoShow NoJo the second half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Verified Member
4 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

Yurov & Wallstedt. Calder Combo Platter. 

Yurov has 9 pts in 19 playoff games. He should end up with a minimum 85 KHL games this year. He led the team in scoring for the regular season and would have a minimum of 58 total points. If Metallurg wins and he adds anything, you couldn't ask for a better season. His last goal was a beauty. The final series starts tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Looks like I was wrong on the tie breakers for regular season when it comes to Philadelphia. I had to look it up when I saw a site listing Philadelphia with pick #12. I had mistakenly thought, in an earlier post, the Flyers beat the Wild twice, so with equal points, Philadelphia should be considered to be ahead of them. The Wild had more regulation wins, however, which is a tie breaker before head-to-head matchup, so the Wild cannot draft #12.

The Wild will likely have either pick #13, if they lose their regular season finale in regulation, or pick #14 if they win to finish with more points than the Penguins.

Earning 1 point in the final game would tie them with Pittsburgh for points, and the Wild have more "total wins"(1 extra shootout win), so that would also push them to pick #14. Head to head record doesn't come into play until the 4th tie breaker, followed by point differential and total goals. Total wins is the only tie breaker that the Wild are ahead in versus Pittsburgh currently.

Of course, they have a chance to move up to either pick 3 or 4 via the lottery, but that chance is only between 3-4.25%.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:51 PM, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Looks like I was wrong on the tie breakers for regular season when it comes to Philadelphia. I had to look it up when I saw a site listing Philadelphia with pick #12. I had mistakenly thought, in an earlier post, the Flyers beat the Wild twice, so with equal points, Philadelphia should be considered to be ahead of them. The Wild had more regulation wins, however, which is a tie breaker before head-to-head matchup, so the Wild cannot draft #12.

The Wild will likely have either pick #13, if they lose their regular season finale in regulation, or pick #14 if they win to finish with more points than the Penguins.

Earning 1 point in the final game would tie them with Pittsburgh for points, and the Wild have more "total wins"(1 extra shootout win), so that would also push them to pick #14. Head to head record doesn't come into play until the 4th tie breaker, followed by point differential and total goals. Total wins is the only tie breaker that the Wild are ahead in versus Pittsburgh currently.

Of course, they have a chance to move up to either pick 3 or 4 via the lottery, but that chance is only between 3-4.25%.

And with the 13th pick in the 2024 NHL draft, the Minnesota Wild select.. Konsta Helenius..