Hockey Wilderness

Article: Rieger Lorenz Is Minnesota's Sleeper Prospect

Verified Member

I've got to disagree, I simply didn't see this in the game I watched from the tournament. Denver had 9 guys who had over 30 points, Lorenz is below that at 28. 

From the eye test, I saw a guy who could peak at a 3rd line role. He seemed to be structurally sound, but played with one hand on the stick a lot. I thought his positioning was good, and for a team that was getting the snot knocked out of them physically, Lorenz wasn't. 

I believe he's still got a lot more growing to do, but if he jumps like he did this season, perhaps we've got something. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a staple in Iowa, or if he made the big club. If I were him (broken record), I'd pay attention to bulking up a little and coming in around 210 next season. Lorenz is a wing, not a center. 

If I were making a comparison, I'd put him in the Mikey Milne category, or the Duhaime category. His on ice battle needs to get more tenacious, but, he played the way he was coached to play. Denver didn't look like an overly physical team, and if he's taking coaching really well like it appears, perhaps we can adjust his game like finishing checks. If he's moving on to Iowa, coming in at 210 will grab everyone's attention.

23 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he was a staple in Iowa, or if he made the big club. If I were him (broken record), I'd pay attention to bulking up a little and coming in around 210 next season.

If the University of Denver site is accurate, 210 should be attainable. They list him at 205. He was 184 in his draft year, so it seems he has already bulked up quite a bit. College height/weight isn't always the most accurate, and I see they list all of their players in 5 lbs increments, so I'm certain they aren't exact, but one would think he's at least around 200 lbs at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1