Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Are Building A Formidable Russian Connection

I'm not so sure I agree with Brendan on this, at least wholeheartedly. It seems to me that the hybrid is not between 2 styles of play, but 3. Forgotten in the writing is our contingent of Scandinavian players which also seem to have a puck possession type of style, yet, are bigger players. 

On defense, while we have shut down opponents type of defense right now, that's not the future. It appears that Brackett has given us a particular defender who is shorter and a puck mover. The only thing missing from these guys is strength/weight to play in the N, along with enough experience. These guys are 2-way defenders, who are responsible in their own zone, yet can get the puck going the other way and they can all skate. They appear to be interchangeable and if most of them make it, we will be able to roll 3 pairs without much of a drop off. They'll be here soon, but I think it will take them the full 5 years of development. 

I do like the ability to play different styles, however, and even if the coach puts them in the line blender, you could get different identities out of the combinations. And, I don't particularly mind the shorter statures, as long as the strength/weight is there where they can get leverage and finish off taller players. 

I still believe, however, that having a couple of large defenders is a must and being able to throw out that heavy line when needed. Currently, we do not have the ability to throw the heavy line, but Midsy and Bogo are exactly what the defense needs, and can be seen often killing penalties together. Hartman and Foligno are 2/3rds of a heavy line, Foligno needs a partner. Is that guy Kumpulainen or Stramel? Maybe.

• Like 1

The team has slowly clamped down on games defensively. The PK is still a scary issue, but even strength defense and goaltending has been better.  I think if Gus can have more games closer to last night, the Wild can hopefully keep ground or overtake Vegas.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I'm not so sure I agree with Brendan on this, at least wholeheartedly. It seems to me that the hybrid is not between 2 styles of play, but 3. Forgotten in the writing is our contingent of Scandinavian players which also seem to have a puck possession type of style, yet, are bigger players. 

I think that could be looped in with the American style. Speed and tenacity versus speed and finesse. Speed being the key throughout both, pushing the pace but punishing differently. The finesse will kill legs, constantly playing chase and moving quick side to side, the heavy puck possession physical boys ideally will be like Ek now, constantly grinding you down, putting weight on you, physically battling every second. I equate it to boxing, your speed demons making you chase and move awkwardly firing away vs clinching and leaning on your opponent, both effective but different and the combo could be exciting to see, especially if the opponent is trapped in their D zone and able to make a change on the fly.  I agree with most of your post but didn't want to have to include the full thing. The defense needs some big ol trees on it. Immovable rooted bodies. but having a Faber and Chisholm who can skate and move the puck also are needed to keep the pressure up.

I think it is similar to the Herb Brooks strategy of taking the fight to them instead of waiting to counter across all line, something we are not very used to but beginning to see more.

• Like 3