Hockey Wilderness

Article: How Likely Are the Wild To Get Over the Hump and Make the Playoffs?

I have the Wild going 9/6 but basically ending up in the same draft position. At this point I’d rather they make the playoffs but as you noted it’s a longshot. As far as the draft, pick up some size at whatever position is best available and someone who looks to develop quickly. 

If they miss out by a razor thin margin, then they miss out.  I will take solace in the team refusing to quit and (most of them) playing like their lives depended on it.  One ping pong ball is hardly going to change this team from an dumpster fire (if they were down far enough) to a sudden contender overnight.  They still needs a couple more years work and drafting luck.

They just signed Kumpulainen, so we know he's likely coming in a year or two.  That's some much needed beef.

• Like 4

The only way to get into the playoffs is winning in regulation vs the Blues Saturday and Vegas (x2).  Winning these three games put us in a relatively good position... but then again it is kind of dumb to think this team will overcome their big game kryptonite which we all have seen over and over this year.

• Like 4

I was thinking 88 points in a non-scientific guess. I think the loss at Colorado probably eliminates them, and the last 4 games will be played by some hungry Iowa guys, as I expect them to be eliminated by then too. 

Might we see Kumpulainen in a tryout? Maybe, yet he may still be alive in his playoff run. How about Firstov? Yes, my hope is he will get in the last 4 games just to see how he does. Lambos? Yes, same thing. The Wall? Yes, we'll see what he can do again. 

While we are eliminated early, I expect those to be spirited games as some players will be hoping to audition early for open roster spots. I think there will be some IR guys at that point from the vets just to get a head start on getting their bodies ready for next season. I believe there are several players playing hurt right now, just trying to gut it out since there's not much depth behind them.

• Like 2

Verified Member
18 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

I have the Wild going 9/6 but basically ending up in the same draft position. At this point I’d rather they make the playoffs but as you noted it’s a longshot. As far as the draft, pick up some size at whatever position is best available and someone who looks to develop quickly. 

This is about what I think too.  The trouble will be that a couple of those probably won't be wins in regulation and it'll be tight enough that it will come down to tiebreakers.

Or they fall apart.

With so many injuries and the physical and mental fatigue from a lack of depth and players probably playing hurt, we seem really fragile.

We don't seem to walk away from Winnipeg games without some damage.  If they can pull off a win AND remain healthy, then maybe we see a confidence boost that carries us a bit, but I think it comes down to denying Vegas any points and winning games in regulation.  The rest is unfortunately more in other team's hand than our own.  All we can do is try to keep pace and make sure we beat St Louis and Vegas.  We don't have much control outside of that.

Realistically I think we fall just short.

Ideally Vegas also falls just short too.  Yes, even if that means St Louis gets in.  I abhor Vegas' salary cap shenanigans that much.

• Like 2

Verified Member

Variables associated with rest of season include:  what teams and how many whistles get pocketed by the refs, injuries, dumb-luck/odd-puck (bounces, rebounds, goals including OT), and lastly what Wild team shows up to play.  

Wild are consistently inconsistent.  Hot and cold streaks are perplexing.  They demonstrate potential to go up against the best, then seem to frustrate fans shortly after.  Some games the zone entry, passing, position play is right on point.  Other games, my gut hurts watching them.  

My instincts do have the Wild clinching a WC2 slot (more grit in the final stretch, and even taking 1-2 OTL to seeded teams). 

Even if they make it in, it will be another year of first round and out.  Wild always seem to fall flat once playoffs arrive.  Or is it that other teams seem to be ignited?  IDK.  In the past 10 years, the Wild seem to be out-muscled, out-weighed, out-skated, out-passed.  In desperation, Wild make risky plays leading to penalties and/or injuries, further reducing the probability of making it past the first round.  

Always a MN Fan, and hopeful the team is building a SC contender in 1-2 years.