Hockey Wilderness

Article: Liam Öhgren Quietly Had A Monster Season In Sweden

If what I’m to take from all the statistical gymnastics is:

Ohgren = Foligno + early Ek I can get ok with that 

physicality and puck possession of moose + hockey play instincts of early Ek.  Not advanced current ek (yet)

im certainly not expecting a sniper with silky mitts, but a physical board battler who can make hockey plays

• Like 3

Should be interesting to see how he is when he comes over next year. Hopefully he makes it out of camp and probably on the 3rd line if not give him some seasoning time in the A and watch him win the calder in 25-26!

• Like 3

Verified Member

I ran the advanced stats from CRUTCHIE, my own mathematical algorithm and it has him at 100% for getting injured every season. So we'll have to see how the model shapes up for Ohgren next year? 😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

So, you're saying Faber wasn't the only prize coming off that Fiala trade...interesting.  It's almost as if the wait for prospects could, maybe, hopefully be worth this season being a rollercoaster of emotions.

One isn't related to the other?

Verified Member
6 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

If what I’m to take from all the statistical gymnastics is:

Ohgren = Foligno + early Ek I can get ok with that 

physicality and puck possession of moose + hockey play instincts of early Ek.  Not advanced current ek (yet)

im certainly not expecting a sniper with silky mitts, but a physical board battler who can make hockey plays

Pretty interesting that you interpreted this article in that way..did you see the company he was in with those stats? You didn’t notice how many extremely talented nhl players were there?

What I have known for a while was that this kid can score goals and he’s very well rounded. This article reinforces that. His dad is a strength and conditioning coach for some of the best Swedish nhlers in the world. I think he will be a lot more than what you think he will be.

20-30 goals in the nhl is pretty projectable with that shot, size, skill and two way play.

Verified Member

Brackett drafted Juolevi.

Kunin, Jost,, and others drafted in the top 15 have become duds after a few NHL seasons. Nolan Patrick doesn't even play anymore. Galchenyuk was a stud in junior as was Yakupov in the last decade. 

Get to NHL and make the team. Then we'll see what happens. 

Edited by Protec

Yeah, after all, I don't think anyone said, "Hey, Faber's going to be an top 15-20 defenseman with scoring touch and PP prowess."  You don't know if a person is going to be better or worse than advertised until they actually do it.  Weren't Petan and Steel like crazy scorers like Heidt is now?  You just never know with these things.

Hell, I'd be happy if Ohgren just stabilizes the third line defensively the way Ek used to or Foligno does now.  As I said above, extra goals would just be great at that point.  2nd or 3rd line float, and do either with ease.  You can't go wrong with "great defensive player" or "great defensive player with some goal scoring on top."  The Wild can't hurt having either.

Edited by Citizen Strife

Damn. Pulling possession stats out of Sweden! I had no idea. Great article. 

With 10 forward spots accounted for next year, training camp will be fascinating if both come over this fall. 

The thing that concerns me is the injury history. The thing that excites me is that a lot of his goal scoring comes in the spring. We need to brace ourselves for slow starts for the player, and that he picks it up as the season goes on. 

Are the injuries typical? Is he made of glass? I don't know, the back injury seemed like it was kind of freaky. 

As for style of play, he seems like he'll remind us of Niederreiter. We've got some great young talent coming in. I think it will be entertaining to watch their development. I'm also hoping he's a nice 210 lbs. when he gets here, and can launch some people along the boards. If he's got a Johansson mentality, I will be sadly disappointed. 

5 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

As for style of play, he seems like he'll remind us of Niederreiter. 

I actually think this is dead-on. Maybe the upside is higher, and he could end up being a fourth-liner, but I think Nino is the most likely outcome.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:16 AM, mnfaninnc said:

As for style of play, he seems like he'll remind us of Niederreiter. We've got some great young talent coming in. I think it will be entertaining to watch their development. I'm also hoping he's a nice 210 lbs. when he gets here, and can launch some people along the boards. If he's got a Johansson mentality, I will be sadly disappointed. 

Sounds like he's too strong defensively to remind anyone of Johansson. His puck possession also sounds much stronger than NoJo. Swedish league seems to be quite a bit lower scoring, so hopefully the NHL transition will not see too much of a drop in points per hour early on.

Solid 2-way player that still has scoring upside. Not as exciting as Yurov, but could be a major factor in playoff hockey for the Wild in 25-26 and beyond.

Edited by Imyourhuckleberry

20 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Sounds like he's too strong defensively to remind anyone of Johansson. His puck possession also sounds much stronger than NoJo. Swedish league seems to be quite a bit lower scoring, so hopefully the NHL transition will not see too much of a drop in points per hour early on.

Solid 2-way player that still has scoring upside. Not as exciting as Yurov, but could be a major factor in playoff hockey for the Wild in 25-26 and beyond.

Yet, what worries me is that the little I've seen of him in the WJCs, he hasn't looked all that good. The eye test does not match the analytic numbers, at least in my small sample size. 

On the other side of things, he has been captain material for his teams in most situations. I don't expect it to be in the SHL as he'd be too young. So that has to say something about his leadership. 

I guess we just have to see more of him to appreciate him. Niederreiter ran hot and cold and has done that through his whole career. I wonder if this is also Ohgren. Niederreiter also had some pretty nice analytic stats. 

• Like 1