Hockey Wilderness

Article: Declan Chisholm Is the Calen Addison Replacement

On 2/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, FredJohnson said:

I had high hopes for Addison. ☹️

I did too! If you looked at his numbers all last year he was consistently in the mix for top 3 Rookie Defensemen, statistically.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cloddish said:

I did too! If you looked at his numbers all last year he was consistently in the mix for top 3 Rookie Defensemen, statistically.

It was all smoke and mirrors that way. He racked up a lot of assists on the PP but did little else to help the cause. His indifference to defending and not really wanting to learn was a huge detriment to the team concept. The red flag was when late in the year, Iowa stuck him on the 3rd pairing. That was either a warning for us, or Addison was playing through an injury. Turns out it was a warning to us.

Addison simply couldn't overcome his size at the next level. He was playing in the 170s with no concept of how to use leverage or take a body. He didn't want to learn either. If he got beat up the ice, he gave a half-assed effort to get back. That is simply unacceptable and was the same thing that Reilly did to get him shipped out of town. (with Reilly, I saw it live from Iowa and took note that he was nowhere near NHL ready. He played down there like he was just waiting for a call up with little real effort)

Addison is also having a terrible year on a terrible Sharks team. He picked up an assist recently, but is 1-8-9, or, Bogosian offense and not Bogosian defense. Honestly, I don't think he'll be in the league long. He's simply too small and the longer we watch, the more like Ryan Murphy he looks. If you're healthy scratched from the worst team in the league, something's not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

It was all smoke and mirrors that way. He racked up a lot of assists on the PP but did little else to help the cause. His indifference to defending and not really wanting to learn was a huge detriment to the team concept. The red flag was when late in the year, Iowa stuck him on the 3rd pairing. That was either a warning for us, or Addison was playing through an injury. Turns out it was a warning to us.

Addison simply couldn't overcome his size at the next level. He was playing in the 170s with no concept of how to use leverage or take a body. He didn't want to learn either. If he got beat up the ice, he gave a half-assed effort to get back. That is simply unacceptable and was the same thing that Reilly did to get him shipped out of town. (with Reilly, I saw it live from Iowa and took note that he was nowhere near NHL ready. He played down there like he was just waiting for a call up with little real effort)

Addison is also having a terrible year on a terrible Sharks team. He picked up an assist recently, but is 1-8-9, or, Bogosian offense and not Bogosian defense. Honestly, I don't think he'll be in the league long. He's simply too small and the longer we watch, the more like Ryan Murphy he looks. If you're healthy scratched from the worst team in the league, something's not working.

Yeah, it wasn't until after that year that all of this you just laid out started to make sense to me too. But at the time, I was like, "Who is this Addison guy? He's got my attention!" Then you look at his PP stats and you start to piece together the bigger picture on the guy.

• Like 1

A lot of good junior players never make it. MN has had guys who were excellent in NCAA who never make it. 

Addison was another kick at the can which MN has done well with overall. They've given time to, and made an effort to get guys to evaluate along with keeping more draft capital than XGMCF. 

They've done it via waivers or without sacrificing much. 

• Like 1

I liked Chisholm paired with Brodin last night.  He is multitudes better than Addison and has a good attitude.  He is still a little shaky on the d end but looks willing to get in there.

With Bogo out, I hope they stick with it although it would mean that the dreaded 3d pairing with 2 of the 3 stooges returns.

Still no Hunt?