Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can the Wild Swap Grit For Skill In An Arthur Kaliyev Trade?

Kaliyev is making around the same money as Duhaime. Can the Wild re-sign him around the same amount would be the question. Something below $1.5M might be possible on a short term deal.

I'd certainly be interested in that trade from the Wild's side of things, particularly if they don't need to part with a pick from the top few rounds.

• Like 2

Let's run down those trade candidates super quick. There's Marc-Andre Fleury, who has to waive his no-move clause for Minnesota to trade him. Then you have playoff-tested veteran Pat Maroon, but he's on the shelf for the next several weeks. The Wild could move gritty fourth-liners Brandon Duhaime or Connor Dewar, perhaps? And if anyone wants Jon Merrill for playoff depth, sure, he's tradable.

Bogosian needs to be at the top of that list, he's on an expiring contract and only has a 21 team NTC.   We spent a 7th to get him, and his cap hit is only $850k.

While he has looked remarkably good for our depleted defense this season, he absolutely needs to be flipped.  He is the definition of a rental.

• Like 3

Wow, a trade with the Kings, a team we're trying to catch!

I like the target here, though I think a right handed player would be more useful. So, what exactly do the Kings need? I don't think Duhaime + Pick gets it done, LA wants to add. But, could a Duhaime + Johansson move the needle? Could a Duhaime + Bogosian do it?

Adding a player from the '19 class to add with Boldy probably helps us. Should we get a little help from Beckman, that would mean 3 players from that draft class would be on the roster. 

Outside of the box, what about Duhaime + Firstov?

• Like 3

Sam Steel had a 1st round pedigree. Ended up being just okay.

The Wild appear to be working on getting back into the playoff picture. 

I would not rule out anything and sure maybe Kaliyev is the missing link. I fully expect the Wild to do what they always do here which is get hot and be in the hunt. Whether they can win games in the Central is always the thing. Trades or not is gonna be pretty dependent on their playoff chances coming up. It’s not like GMBG is gonna throw in the towel and trade Bogo too soon. Duhaime maybe, but these aren’t top guys so the returns can’t be too great. MN should really just play it out with who they got unless it really goes downhill fast. 

40 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Last season, Guerin used previous draft pieces he had no intention of signing to ELCs as sweeteners. Nobody really knows where Firstov stands on this. I wonder if he would use this strategy again this season?

I was thinking the same about Firstov. No idea if Guerin is considering bringing him into the Wild. If not, another team may think they can find value with him.

• Like 1

TA you had me at skill and shoot the puck. I vote yes! It’d be nice to get something for Duhaime before he goes full UFA on the Wild. This looks like a win for LA too. The last impossible piece of this puzzle would be to reunite The Flower with The Big T. Never going to happen but sure would be fun. 

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:14 PM, Protec said:

I fully expect the Wild to do what they always do here which is get hot and be in the hunt. 

That's easy to say.  The schedule is far easier in the second half of the schedule.  That alone means they will be playing against teams who are more often completely out of the playoff hunt who will likely be getting worse by trading off contracts for picks, which makes it likely that are schedule will get even easier as we go.  Provided they play hard and attack more like they have in these last few games, they should do well in the remaining games and be solidly in the hunt.