Hockey Wilderness

Article: In A Season That’s Slipping Away, Let the Kids Play

Declan Chisholm has been delayed in getting his visa and hasn't had a chance to practice with the Wild. They do plan to play him when he's available, per the Athletic.

Beckman may have had some other issue, or maybe they just preferred playing the guys who had been practicing recently with the Wild. Beckman should be getting his chances, but I imagine they felt the other guys were more ready for that Chicago game and they knew they couldn't afford to lose that one if they have any shot at climbing up the standings.

Also, Lucchini has played better than Beckman in the AHL both this year and last.

Edited by Imyourhuckleberry
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some perspective on just how "late" it's getting for the Wild re: playoffs:

STL is in the #8 spot now with a .551 points percentage.  That's a 90 point pace.

--> For the Wild to beat that, they need 42 points in 32 games, which is a .656 percentage.  That's equal to what COL and VGK have done for the year so far.

If you raise the bar to 95 points, which has been the actual range of the Western Conference #8 over the last few years (and it's been higher than that), that's a .579 percentage.

--> For the Wild to hit 95 points, they need to finish the season at a .719 pace, which is VAN / top of the West level.

Let's be realistic: this team is not going to suddenly morph into a top 3 in the West team from the .500 team they've been so far.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Beckman should play ahead of NoJo. this team cannot afford nor should they tolerate a player putting forth the effort that NoJo gave nor should they. Add Freddy to that Prossbox seat also. It is time for the staff to make players accountable for their performance. I think Goose and Merrill put in the effort but have nothing left to give so should sit. Play the kids needs to be th rallying cry for the rest of the season.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bisopher said:

If you raise the bar to 95 points, which has been the actual range of the Western Conference #8 over the last few years (and it's been higher than that), that's a .579 percentage.

--> For the Wild to hit 95 points, they need to finish the season at a .719 pace, which is VAN / top of the West level.

Let's be realistic: this team is not going to suddenly morph into a top 3 in the West team from the .500 team they've been so far.

Every season is different. If there aren't as many terrible teams, which it appears may be the case this season, then the point total for the 8th team might be lower with fewer easy wins over the teams who simply aren't competing.

Florida got in with 92 points last season. Colorado made it with 90 points in 2019.

Even if it's unlikely, the leadership on the Wild is still going to push hard for it until it's mathematically not possible. I think a majority of fans now would be content with a bottom 10 finish, but Kaprizov and company will likely fight as long as they have a puncher's chance.

isnkL0.gif

• Like 2

Perhaps it was a subliminal message that Luke had going, but I could swear I was seeing a white flag waving in the background. I think Luke's got some solid points here.

Chisholm will get played as soon as they get him acclimated. Hunt didn't have the opportunity since we are at roster limit, and someone would need to be sent down. Brodin gets sick, Chisholm couldn't practice due to visa trouble, you have to go with the guys you have. I don't see this happening for long. Chisholm hasn't played most of the year, so getting him up to speed may take a little longer than just throwing him into the deep end.

Beckman, apparently, was brought up to be the 13th forward. I did not expect Lettieri to come back, and figured Beckman would slot in. I'm not sure why they chose to sit him, but he did get bag skated before the game. My gut says they wanted centers in the lineup. Lucchini feels the heat coming from Beckman and snipes one home. Lettieri also looked good setting up both goals. I was trying to figure out how Lettieri sets up Foligno when he was playing with Rossi and Gaudreau? Line change? And, what a nifty move by Faber to push the puck to Lettieri!

So, what it appears we have here is a logjam that will need to get thinned out. Perhaps it's more of an icejam? Silly season is here. It's time to start thinning out the roster. I would imagine there will be enough space for Dino when he gets here. I'd also expect Beckman to have some space. I'd think Lucchini will end up getting sent down. 

So, 2 forwards and 2 defenders need to get moved out in the next couple of weeks. That might also include 1 goalie after we have the Flower celebration tonight. That's 5 rostered players or 20-25% of the team. But, it is time for Hunt and possibly Chisholm to show what they have on a 3rd pairing? And it is needed to see if Beckman can handle the NHL now? 

I can say for certainty, I will be watching, paying close attention to the kids, regardless of our record. I can't attend, but, the team will not lose the viewership.

• Like 6

I am in agreement with the majority on the board.  Let the kids play and give them the best chance for success.  Set the lines appropriately.

Kirill, Rossi, Beckman

Boldy, Ek, Luchinni

Foligno, Hartman, Lettieri

Zuc, Freddy, Duhaime

Faber, Mid

Brodin, Mermis

Bogosian Chisholm

Make sure NoJo is in the Prossbox.  Would gladly send Freddy there as well and stick in another youth.  Shaw?  I miss his play style.  Sure hope we see him soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bisopher said:

Some perspective on just how "late" it's getting for the Wild re: playoffs:

STL is in the #8 spot now with a .551 points percentage.  That's a 90 point pace.

--> For the Wild to beat that, they need 42 points in 32 games, which is a .656 percentage.  That's equal to what COL and VGK have done for the year so far.

They are 5 points out with 32 games left. They have a legitimate shot. Math can be deceiving.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MNCountryLife said:

I am in agreement with the majority on the board.  Let the kids play and give them the best chance for success.  Set the lines appropriately.

Kirill, Rossi, Beckman

Boldy, Ek, Luchinni

Foligno, Hartman, Lettieri

Zuc, Freddy, Duhaime

Faber, Mid

Brodin, Mermis

Bogosian Chisholm

Make sure NoJo is in the Prossbox.  Would gladly send Freddy there as well and stick in another youth.  Shaw?  I miss his play style.  Sure hope we see him soon. 

You can't have Merrill, Goligoski, Johansson, and Gaudreau all as healthy scratches.  You could only bring up another player if you move Merrill to the AHL (and if they do that, it would be better to replace him with a defenseman, not a forward).  Or you'd have to trade someone.

I'd also rather see Lambos get a couple games over Mermis.  I see Mermis as better than Merrill, but he's not much better.  I think we've seen his ceiling.  Goligoski has moments, but he seems like he can only go once a week or he just seems tired and ineffective.  And if he is only good every 3-4 games, he might as well be a backup/healthy scratch.  I'd send down Mermis and roll Chisholm, Hunt, and Lambos over Merrill and Goligoski.  Obviously since Chisholm is a waiver grab and gas to stay up in the NHL, Hunt OR Lambos would be in place of Mermis.

5 hours ago, Patrick said:

They are 5 points out with 32 games left. They have a legitimate shot. Math can be deceiving.

Respectfully disagree. Beyond the simple math that states the Wild need to turn into the Avs to sniff 90 points, there's the fact that there are FIVE teams they have to pass to get into the #8 seed. And all of them think (not incorrectly) that they have a better chance than the Wild of getting there.

• Like 1

Verified Member

This is a very boring team with too many veterans just going through the motions.  What's their consequence?  To play even more of course.  We may never see what some of our prospects can do since the veterans have a lock on ice time.  This is a team stuck in quicksand and sinking fast.  That's how most of our veterans play, like they are in quicksand.

4 hours ago, bisopher said:
9 hours ago, Patrick said:

Respectfully disagree. Beyond the simple math that states the Wild need to turn into the Avs to sniff 90 points, there's the fact that there are FIVE teams they have to pass to get into the #8 seed. And all of them think (not incorrectly) that they have a better chance than the Wild of getting there.

The Wild are now 3 points back. Calgary, Seattle, and Arizona all have more difficult schedules. If the LA Kings don't continue plummeting down the standings, could be a 3-team race between St. Louis, Nashville, and MN.

Based upon currently standings points and goal differentials, there isn't any clearly best team of the 6 teams fighting for position #8. The Wild have 3 games remaining against St. Louis and 2 against Nashville. The head-to-head matchups could easily be key differentiators. The Wild haven't done will in them so far on the year, but have had some success against better teams.

Uphill battle, but could take just a few games to completely flip the outlook.

19 hours ago, greg said:

This is a very boring team with too many veterans just going through the motions.  What's their consequence?  To play even more of course.  We may never see what some of our prospects can do since the veterans have a lock on ice time.  This is a team stuck in quicksand and sinking fast.  That's how most of our veterans play, like they are in quicksand.

Just so were on the same page, that's Evason's fault, not Guerin's.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:33 AM, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Declan Chisholm has been delayed in getting his visa and hasn't had a chance to practice with the Wild. They do plan to play him when he's available, per the Athletic.

Beckman may have had some other issue, or maybe they just preferred playing the guys who had been practicing recently with the Wild. Beckman should be getting his chances, but I imagine they felt the other guys were more ready for that Chicago game and they knew they couldn't afford to lose that one if they have any shot at climbing up the standings.

Also, Lucchini has played better than Beckman in the AHL both this year and last.

The issue is Lucchini is 28 and Beckman is 23. Beckman still has room to grow while Lucchini is what he is. A servicable, replacement level player. Lucchini was -20 last year in the AHL with 50 points while Beckman was 36 points at a plus 5. The Wild asked Beckman to step up and become a more well rounded player by adding to his defensive game and he has taken steps in the right direction to do so. His play this year has been dragged down by an AHL team that is second last after the coaching change. 

While you are right in saying Lucchini is playing better this year in Iowa, he is a on a one year stopgap and will likely be gone next year. Why give him play time in the big league when you know he will be nothing more than is while not giving your actual prospects a chance? There is no development going on for Lucchini or Letteri. They are playing them because this GM deluded himself into thinking they have a shot at playoffs. Not for the long term development of this team.