Hockey Wilderness

Article: Matt Boldy Is Making 'The Leap'

Tony Abbott

11 minutes ago, Citizen Strife said:

Now if he could just hit one-timers, he'd never miss the net again.

Hopefully he's drilling constantly on that. Would be deadly on the PP if he can get that aspect of his game dialed in. Maybe watching Draisatl burn the Wild PK last game in person inspired him to work harder on it.

Edited by M_Nels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M_Nels said:

Hopefully he's drilling constantly on that. Would be deadly on the PP if he can get that aspect of his game dialed in. Maybe watching Draisatl burn the Wild PK last game in person inspired him to work harder on it.

This seems like a nobrainer for the Wild to drill on but have seen no improvement. I watch other teams do this 10 times a game. If we could get good at this skill it would solve a lot of scoring problems 

• Like 2

I would have thought concentrating on golf this summer should have helped that one timer. It doesn't look like it has. 

Yes, that drill should be practiced after practice with someone just feeding him on the opposite side of Ovechkin's office. Kaprizov should be at that same drill. 

One thing that I think happens is that the pass doesn't come through clean, maybe because it's from a left handed player on the other side of the ice. So, teams are playing for that pass and get in the lane or it hits something and just doesn't flatten out. I think a right handed player with a shot from that position would help this out. Defenders couldn't cheat on it and the angle is a little better to slide that pass across. 

I do think that Boldy needs a little more tuning up the strength equally lower and upper body. He seems bigger, but just a little soft. If you're going to go Ek mode, you need to be a beast!

• Like 2

Assistant Gm Hearn the contract guy is out. I wonder if he’s paying the price for those extensions? Maybe they should consider moving on from Ray Shero. It seems like the only advice given on anything is do what Pittsburgh did. It’s like they’re rebuilding Pittsburgh in minny except for the 3 main reasons for their success. Crosby , Malkin and letang . Bill needs to get some better hockey minds around him. Berube for assistant coach ! 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, mnfaninnc said:

I would have thought concentrating on golf this summer should have helped that one timer. It doesn't look like it has. 

Yes, that drill should be practiced after practice with someone just feeding him on the opposite side of Ovechkin's office. Kaprizov should be at that same drill. 

One thing that I think happens is that the pass doesn't come through clean, maybe because it's from a left handed player on the other side of the ice. So, teams are playing for that pass and get in the lane or it hits something and just doesn't flatten out. I think a right handed player with a shot from that position would help this out. Defenders couldn't cheat on it and the angle is a little better to slide that pass across. 

I do think that Boldy needs a little more tuning up the strength equally lower and upper body. He seems bigger, but just a little soft. If you're going to go Ek mode, you need to be a beast!