Hockey Wilderness

Article: What Can the Wild Expect From New Coach John Hynes?

Tony Abbott

39 minutes ago, joebou15 said:

At some point someone needs to show him that he could have avoided some of this if he wasn't a blustery pile of man trying to show he was the boss and actually managing the roster by prioritizing skill, youth, and speed. Physicality must be there, yes, but it can't be everything and his grit-first mantra flies in the face of what today's NHL is. 

3 hours ago, Protec said:

^^^

Agreed Bill had some security to a point near the end of the cap penalties based on the job he did to correct after Fenton and with the approval of the buyouts. This season is a huge blemish on his record because it takes an opposite turn from a healthy expectation.

The Wild aren't to their presumed destination overall but they came to believe they were pretty good on the way. This season is a tough wake up call. Big picture is true, new guys need to be good NHL players and you gotta know when to fold. Right now Mojo & Boldy aren't the only guys who look lost on the stat sheet. Zuccarello has done his job at least and Fleury hasn't been a bum. It's a weird spot to be again with a Wild team that has serious questions, yet wants to be a playoff contender and identifies as one despite showing the league and fans they stink.

7 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

Does he go by Hynie!

Asking for a friend.

We will get much more of what Hynes likes in the coming weeks. Ryan Carter had an interesting comment last night where coaches run, essentially, the same system, but they emphasize different things. So, 90% of what we were doing under Evason will translate, but the finer details of the last 10% will likely change. 

I'd have to assume that with the firing of Woods, and hiring of Dwyer, the PK will be changed dramatically taking up most of that 10%. Really, special teams under Evason in any aspect wasn't that good. It was early on, but then faded. If I were Hynes, this is where I would start looking. PP, 4v4, 4v3, 3v3, 6v5, 5v6, and PK would be where I think significant changes can help the team. 

Last night, 5v5, we looked very good, and I'll bet the XGF was higher than 3. It also looked like we had some offensive chances going. I mentioned earlier that I thought this was the best roster that Hynes has inherited. Perhaps his results will be better with it.

• Like 1