Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wilderness Walk: Why The Wild Hired John Hynes

Thomas Williams

2 hours ago, Luke Sims said:

Nepotism.

Maybe. Also of note is that if you change coaches mid-season the inventory of experienced coaches is not large. Unless you are hiring just for the remainder of the year you go with the coach that you know. Coaches that have no NHL experience are employed right now also and grabbing them would not be a good look. You could bring the coach up from Iowa but then you disrupt what they are trying t do with the prospects. Hynes may or may not be the answer (I suspect not) but he may have been the better choice. Gallant is out there but I would not want him.

What if Hynes is a stopgap coach and not the one to take us to the future? What if Guerin sees Hynes as part of a front office option too? If he is relieved as coach, he can still be a part of the organization and with ties to Guerin, he could just be a part of this thing longterm. 

Or, maybe with a better roster, Hynes is more successful?

27 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

What if Hynes is a stopgap coach and not the one to take us to the future? What if Guerin sees Hynes as part of a front office option too? If he is relieved as coach, he can still be a part of the organization and with ties to Guerin, he could just be a part of this thing longterm. 

Or, maybe with a better roster, Hynes is more successful?

It's Hynes' job. Guerin has said it's not temporary, he's the guy.

Crazy they'd fire DE now to hire Hynes. 

Edited by Willy the poor boy

Hynes may not be better on paper but it's fair to say a change was needed and Dean had years to improve face-offs and special-teams. Neither happened and both screwed the Wild this year. That's somebody's responsibility, the HC certainly would be suspect. 

From that perspective, you pretty much get the next best available guy.

If we start winning faceoffs, finishing checks, and shore up the PK, I'd call that a win. I'm sure I'm leaving out some other details like, oh, maybe throwing soft east-west passes to flat footed defenders only to be intercepted by opponents with momentum?

In case anyone missed it, John Hynes has no hair to pull out at that point!

• Like 1