Hockey Wilderness

Article: Red-Hot Riley Heidt Is the Wild's Breakout Prospect

Tony Abbott

For all the concerns about Stramel (and/or Kump), Brackett and Guerin filled for need this year.  At the time, we didn't know Rossi would rebound so drastically, shoring up a weakness.  Yurov and Khus are also coming next year, so add three more players to that list, it looks like a pipeline for years. 

Heidt continues to flourish, which is a thing to put hope into.

• Like 1

And that is kind of my point.  With Rossi and Ek (I'm putting Hartman, , Gaudreau, and Dewar as people leaving in 3-4 years, you really only neef 1-2 spots filled.  If Heidt is that guy, then Stramel/Kumpulainen can take 4th line without issue, because of decreased pressure on them to score.  

Rossi and Ek should be cornerstones, and think of the options down the edges that now offers to weren't there before.  Less problematic than it sounded.  3-5 years is a long time, but I am hopeful center depth isn't as bad as it seemed.

• Like 1

Things may change, but imagine how nice this draft would be looking if Moore had fallen two more spots.  Or, if they had taken Musty, Perrault, Ritchie, etc.

Stramel currently has 0 points in 7 games this year at Wisconsin.  He’s now up to 40 games played at Wisconsin with 12 points.  He’s a combined -15 in 47 games between Wisconsin and the USA U20 with 15 points the last two years.

You can’t really use the excuse that the team’s terrible anymore.  They recently had back to back sweeps of Minnesota and Michigan.  He’s one of only 3 skaters on the team to have played in 7 games with no points.  The other two are 18 year old defenseman.

Again, could easily change, but that is looking like a pretty rough draft pick.  Project all you want….at some point the kid has to show he can produce.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

For all the concerns about Stramel (and/or Kump), Brackett and Guerin filled for need this year.  At the time, we didn't know Rossi would rebound so drastically, shoring up a weakness.  Yurov and Khus are also coming next year, so add three more players to that list, it looks like a pipeline for years. 

Heidt continues to flourish, which is a thing to put hope into.

Speaking of Stramel, his line this season aint all that inspiring:

Individual Overall Skaters Statistics
# Player              GP-GS        
G A PTS SH SH% +/-
9 Stramel, Charlie 7      0   0    0   11 .000 -4

And that's on a Badger team that's 6th ranked (fell from 1st) so it's not like the excuse he had last year about being on a crummy team with a new coach.  I read he missed a couple with an injury, but woof....

Anybody catch any Badger games?  Any idea what's going on with him?

• Like 1

I think Heidt is really going to be good.

hes just too talented.

in other prospects news..

Yurov had 8pts in his last 5 games and now has 23 pts in 30 games and playing 2nd line Center as a 19 year old in the second best hockey league in the world.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, Tony Abbott said:

Kumpulainen is kinda kicking ass this year. Not huge numbers, but very good for a rookie.

EDIT: 10 goals, 19 points in 19 games. Top-30 in the OHL in goals, Borderline Top-50 in points, second on his team in points and tied for team lead in goals.

For his D+1 year, a point per game isn’t out of this world.

it may actually be a bit below average. We will see what he ends the season with.

Kump’s biggest issue is his skating.

been following Yurov?

his last game he had a 3pt night I believe.

23pts in 30 games as a 19 year old playing 2nd line Center in the Khl is extremely impressive.

he keeps this up and he’s going to beat that Khl record for points from a 19 year old.

im really concerned Yurov is going to sign another year in the khl though.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:33 AM, Will D. Ness said:

Other than Stramel and Kumpulainen, there is zero size in our pipeline offense or defense.

What do you consider size?

I don’t disagree with you though.

the prospects are way too small for the most part. In the future they NEED to pick more players between 6’1 to 6’7. Preferably on the bigger end for defenseman.

• Like 1

NHL strength is needed for 90% of the players. There's some who can weasel around that perhaps but in general 18-20 year old players with a grown man's build aren't too common.

Heidt would be smart to do what Addison and Rossi took a few years to do and build up as much as possible as soon as possible.