Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Aren't Ready For Jesper Wallstedt

Tony Abbott

Well, it would be convenient if Fleury happened to "tweak" something and needed a couple of days off. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that The Wall is here to stay. But, making his NHL debut in front of his country and family might be a very good thing to get out of the way.

By the way, has anyone else seen just how good The Wall has been in Iowa this year? Look at McIntyre's sv%, it's in the Goose2 area. That means The Wall is saving .5% higher with the same defense which is young and inexperienced. I'd suggest our dumpster fire defense won't phase him in the least. 

I'd like to see Goose2 get a game, probably Ottawa, and The Wall get Toronto. Then he comes back home and goes back to Des Moines. Maybe Goose2 can remember where he left his game and pick it up and take it back with him this time. 

It's not time for The Wall fulltime, but it should be time for his debut.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MNCountryLife said:

I agreed with most of what you said.  But I would swap this game here.  You want Wallstedt to win and he has a better chance at it with Ottawa.

I would think that Goose2 gets Ottawa since it's kind of a grudge game for him vs. his old team.

4 hours ago, TCMooch said:

Please do not ruin Jesper's confidence with this shithole of a team this year.

If you're paying attention in the A, The Wall is just as defensively challenged there with the baby Wild. I would suggest it would be seem more as a learning experience than anything else for The Wall, plus getting to debut with family and friends in the crowd? That's a big deal for a young player!

• Like 1

adding support to the idea that Wallstedt should get one of the games in Sweden as a reward for the excellent body of work in Iowa with the understanding that he may get one more game here at home this year but that for the sake of his career, next year is when he makes the real debut.  Getting a start in his home country would be the most cushioned introduction possible.  Can you imagine how welcoming the home crowd will be to what is ideally their future national team headliner for the next decade?

• Like 1

I read yesterday that the wild hired a lobbyist for the state legislature. They wouldn’t say if they were going to ask state taxpayers for money. Why hire a lobbyist?  They have been researching renovations the past few years. Kinda since Bill came on. To me it explains a lot about the roster decisions the past few years an extensions . My guess is it has a lot to do with the rebuild on fly and not take a step back. Harder to ask for money when team is in dumps rebuilding.. imo the extensions were doubling down on mediocre till they can get tax money approved..

I also read yesterday sdpn was talking about expansion. They said it’s coming sooner than people think. The new teams will pay 1 billion per team to be split amongst owners. Not the players. The last expansions they told players you would get 49 new jobs and the owners kept the money. . Sdpn said that actually the players lost 30 jobs with expansion.  So if sdpn is correct the 32 owners will have split about  4 billon after the next expansions and the players will probably lose another 30 jobs.

When I hear of wild asking for taxpayers money it reminds me of the wild taking US taxpayers money to support the troops. They didn’t do it out of kindness but because they were getting paid. Being former military , it rubs me wrong.. 

16 hours ago, Dango said:

They could simply be looking to get permits for various things and not necessarily money

Also, the X is not a new facility. It is still a very good one but not new. It, like all buildings, needs updates, repairs, maintenance and possibly expansion. Simple things like replacing a worn out ice plant can cost tens of millions. The city where I live we have a beautiful arena about the same age as the X. Due to federal government requirements and age the city is replacing the ice plant. It is going to take a large part of the city budget to do it. That along with many smaller issues is a problem. The X gets used a lot more than our arena so wear and tear would be a lot more of a problem. Just spit balling here.

I read somewhere that because so many teams, (certainly the Wild) have cap issues so they no longer carry the extra D and F with the team as much as they used to. A couple here and a couple there, next thing you know it adds up to less players making NHL wages over a season. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MNCountryLife said:

Could you explain that comment.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But I don't understand how adding an expansion hockey team causes the number of players in the league to decrease.... or am I missing your point entirely.

Agreed.  I've heard of addition by subtraction (ie Skoula retiring), but I cannot reconcile this math

2 hours ago, Sviginak said:

I read somewhere that because so many teams, (certainly the Wild) have cap issues so they no longer carry the extra D and F with the team as much as they used to. A couple here and a couple there, next thing you know it adds up to less players making NHL wages over a season. 

I could already make the point that the league has too many teams and the on-ice product is Jost certainly watered down.  Oh well, billionaire's will continue to Steele money from the fanbase.  We should hire lawyers to Chuck Kobasew the league.