Hockey Wilderness

Article: Brock Faber Is Making A Case That He Belongs Among the NHL's Elite Defensemen

Tony Abbott

I’m a huge fan but feels premature to put him in elite category.  If he can bring more offense/attack to his game I can get on board with elite. 

Brodin: bro looks like he’s trying to break his mold and be more offensive, and it ain’t working.  He  attempted to cycle the puck a couple times yesterday and it didn’t go well.  Memo to JoBro: all defense, all the time.  Backstop faber like you used to backstop Dumba.  If I want to watch someone fight the puck, I’ll wait for folignos next shift

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I’m a huge fan but feels premature to put him in elite category.  If he can bring more offense/attack to his game I can get on board with elite. 

Brodin: bro looks like he’s trying to break his mold and be more offensive, and it ain’t working.  He  attempted to cycle the puck a couple times yesterday and it didn’t go well.  Memo to JoBro: all defense, all the time.  Backstop faber like you used to backstop Dumba.  If I want to watch someone fight the puck, I’ll wait for folignos next shift

Hard agree.  I understand why they want him to do it because he’s such a dynamic skater but it’s not his game. He’s probably the best defensive defenseman in the league. Let the Brockness be the offensive force of the pair and keep Bro in his stay at home role. 

The Brockness Monster 100% confirmed real.

He's got a big opportunity to be an elite defenseman and carry the torch as Brodin and Spurgeon age. If he gets even better and the Wild can get the offense consistently on track, he could certainly become a greater offensive threat picking up more points. In general I like the effort MN has made to get defenseman for the future. Faber as an asset looks like he'll be able to equalize what was lost with Kevin.

Maybe there should be a Weezer cover, "The #7 Sweater Song?"

• Like 1

This is a great article and very cool to see.

its not a huge sample size but when a guy this young is doing things like this, its a very very good indicator.

he definitely looks special.

i almost wonder if having Brodin and Faber together is actually kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket?

I feel like both Faber and Brodin have that ability to make their partners exponentially better, so I wonder if it would be beneficial to separate them to make the defense, as a whole, a lot better?

it could honestly be a dumb idea too. I wonder what Spurg and Mids stats are in comparison and if it would benefit them to switch partners.

16 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

This is a great article and very cool to see.

its not a huge sample size but when a guy this young is doing things like this, its a very very good indicator.

he definitely looks special.

i almost wonder if having Brodin and Faber together is actually kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket?

I feel like both Faber and Brodin have that ability to make their partners exponentially better, so I wonder if it would be beneficial to separate them to make the defense, as a whole, a lot better?

it could honestly be a dumb idea too. I wonder what Spurg and Mids stats are in comparison and if it would benefit them to switch partners.

I think you're right and the Wild are looking for that balance. Faber's trajectory seems to be one that he will be even better after a full season and a rotation through all the teams in the league.

Can the coaches get the pairings leveled out to be most productive, I hope so. The Wild don't really have an offensive guy who also defends well so that's a want along with our need for a productive 2-way center with size like Ek, and a winger who can score.

Big next few weeks coming for the Wild to change the narrative.

• Like 1