Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Deal Calen Addison To Sharks

Thomas Williams

4 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

3rd overall in the 1st round, so you know he's good!

Maroon is working out pretty well from Tampa, and he's older, so maybe this Bogo trade won't be so bad.

Put him on a line with Rossi and Boldy and we'll get: ROBOBOGO

Reminds me of a lawyer i know named Bob Lawbla.  Say that three time fast

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Ok we can start grading BG’s early moves. 
zucker : love or hate him he had considerable market value

addison: bust

lambos: tbd, unless lambos is faber 2.0 this trade was a fail.  Lambos getting cut from team Canada doesn’t bode well for BG

How is Addison a bust?

he had 29 pts his rookie year..

it remains to be seen if he’s a bust. Especially after only 1 season.

the issue is our defense/team is tiny. You can’t have a bunch of small defenders in the playoffs and expect to be competitive.

for all we know he could be the next Tory Krug.

obviously he needs to be better on defense but he’s not the final product yet.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

How is Addison a bust?

he had 29 pts his rookie year..

it remains to be seen if he’s a bust. Especially after only 1 season.

the issue is our defense/team is tiny. You can’t have a bunch of small defenders in the playoffs and expect to be competitive.

for all we know he could be the next Tory Krug.

obviously he needs to be better on defense but he’s not the final product yet.

Ok, bust is too strong.  Addy may figure out a way to stay in the league.

When grading this trade, the fact that we're unloading Addison for 4 cones and a half can on Red Bull means Addy is a bust (as it relates to him being part of the return for Zucker)  

1 hour ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

3rd overall in the 1st round, so you know he's good!

Maroon is working out pretty well from Tampa, and he's older, so maybe this Bogo trade won't be so bad.

Come on  Huck. Most of the contributors to this site were good 16 years ago. My goodness.

Edited by Been There Done That

The whole thing with Zucker and Galchenyuk, Addison, and pick wasn't the worst. MN got two kicks at the can and relieved cap space on a often injured Zucker who scored on 33% of grade A chances. Value, yes. Worst guy to move out ever, no...

Addison had promise and wasn't bad offensively but his game had flaws as MN saw it. As guys come up, Addison didn't really elevate or perhaps engage the way the Wild wanted. Good for him he got the trade. Guerin knew him a long time. Heading to California and getting a new opportunity should be better than the uncertainty in MN, relieves an RFA future question, and doesn't hang it out there long into this season.

I like Guerin moves, they aren't flashy and get some pulses going but there's rarely a splash or obvious fail. Lots of middle of the road stuff and small gains. We looked at the end of last season and wondered if the Wild had plateaued to a degree. By Thanksgiving we should have a better perspective, but these moves show us GMBG isn't gonna go to the Hamptons and attend Patriots games while the Wild face adversity.(Cough, "Big Doofus Paul Fenton")

spacer.png

Mermis and Hunt made Addison expendable.  Addison wasn't going to get  much playing time here.  I have to wonder if BG did the trade as a favor for Addison.  He gets a fresh start.  The Sharks gave up so little it allows Addison to grow without high expectations. I wish Addison the best.  Good Luck!

Every dollar of cap space we got back from the trade helps dramatically.  

Honestly, I'm glad for Addison as I think he was getting screwed over in Minnesota. I hope he goes to San Jose and plays lights out as a huge fuck you to Billy and Dean.

Call this alarmist or whatever you want but I think Guerin and Evason are absolutely terrible and I can't wait for both of them to be shown the door.

24 minutes ago, TCMooch said:

Call this alarmist or whatever you want but I think Guerin and Evason are absolutely terrible and I can't wait for both of them to be shown the door.

Alarmist

But I do believe we've got enough tape on BG to start making judgements.  Results so far are middling.

Culture in an org. is real and I think BG has impacted that.  I'm now beginning to wonder how much BG is hiding behind the veil of culture overhaul to distract everyone from the one ice product over the next few years.  

That would be a next level corporate gamesmanship maneuver that I'm not sure BG has in his toolkit.  Why Pewter?  His ham handed handling of the Fiala move (shitting on Fiala while on the Wild while trying to trade him.  How does this impact culture?  T-Bot knee jerk reaction to getting insulted by his T-Bot's wife on Twitter) and we'll see what he says about Addy now that he's gone.  Thin skinned tough guys may be the worst type of leadership.  BG isn't going anywhere (still getting promotions) so this is his show.  Winning cures all ills so we (fans) need prospects to fill top 6 roles (no more role players) sooner rather than later.  If this thing is going sideways 3-4 years from now it'll be time for a new sheriff

#hot take Thursday

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Zucker's results post trade are irrelevant.  Zucker's value at trade time is what the return is measured against.  If Lambos becomes a second pair D I'd say we still lost the trade.  Lambos becomes Jon Merrill, BG shit the bed.

IMO it's harder to find a top 6 forward than it is to find a competent D.

No, it is not irrelevant.  It factors in as well.  Addison was considered a promising prospect back then.  He may still do well on a different team.  You can't weigh them both at different times without considering where you end up with both.

If you only weigh Zucker based on where he was back then and think that's good enough, you must be the one drafting all the Wild's player contracts this year.  You have to weigh what happens afterwards.

You also can't grade a trade without seeing how it went for both teams.  Both teams are trading for what they think will make them better.  Sometimes it doesn't go as planned, and sometimes you take a swing and it works out.

Let's use your logic:  Talbot was a starting goalie going 50-50 with Fleury.  Outside of game 1, Gus is playing terrible this year and is essentially a backup to Fleury lately. Guess we lost that trade!  Nevermind that Talbot didn't do that well for Ottawa and Gus has overall been an improvement, because according to you post-trade results only matter when it's on the Wild's side of the equation.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:31 PM, Pewterschmidt said:

Ok, bust is too strong.  Addy may figure out a way to stay in the league.

When grading this trade, the fact that we're unloading Addison for 4 cones and a half can on Red Bull means Addy is a bust (as it relates to him being part of the return for Zucker)  

I think that’s on BG. Addison doesn’t decide what he gets back when being traded.

i feel like he probably should have gotten a lot more for a player who was 3rd in rookie scoring for defenders.

we will see what happens in the future thou.