Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Deal Calen Addison To Sharks

Thomas Williams

1 minute ago, Pewterschmidt said:

What draft pick did we get along with Addison in the Zucker trade?

It was a conditional 2020 first rounder that Pittsburgh had the option of deferring to the following year if they chose to keep it.  They used it to acquire Kasperi Kapanen from Toronto, so it became a non-conditional first for 2021.  We used on pick on Wallstedt that year and used Pittsburgh's pick on Lambos.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised it wasn't at least a 3rd or 4th rounder, but if they were ready to be done, I guess something is better than nothing...and the Sharks pick could be at the start of the 5th.

With the number of solid defensive prospects that started in Iowa this season, I guess it's not shocking that it was only a matter of time.

Not sure Mermis and Hunt are good right now, but the Wild have seemed to average fewer goals allowed the more they limited Addison's ice time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Ok we can start grading BG’s early moves. 
zucker : love or hate him he had considerable market value

addison: bust

lambos: tbd, unless lambos is faber 2.0 this trade was a fail.  Lambos getting cut from team Canada doesn’t bode well for BG

Yeah, and they got a 1st for him and a player that was drafted in the 2nd round.  When you trade for picks and young players, you gamble on the future.  Addison didn't quite seem to become what they hoped he would.  It's way too premature to say Lambos isn't going to work out.  He seems promising overall.

You also have to remember that we didn't have much for prospects back then so refilling that pool was necessary so draft picks/prospects are what we needed.  A 1st and a 2nd round prospect seems like an even trade for Zucker given the circumstances.

That, and teams are reluctant to draft goalies high because they take longer.  I don't think we take Wallstedt if we didn't have two 1sts.  We needed a lot of prospects.  You have to put everything in perspective.  It's not just this-for-that.  The conditions and needs come into play more.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I'm a little surprised it wasn't at least a 3rd or 4th rounder, but if they were ready to be done, I guess something is better than nothing...and the Sharks pick could be at the start of the 5th.

With the number of solid defensive prospects that started in Iowa this season, I guess it's not shocking that it was only a matter of time.

Not sure Mermis and Hunt are good right now, but the Wild have seemed to average fewer goals allowed the more they limited Addison's ice time.

A lot of teams are up against the cap.  A team trading for Addison would have to want to use him on their NHL team over other players they might have.  This limits the team's willing to trade for him and lowers what you will get in return.

• Like 1

Weird, right as I say it's kinda looking grim for him here, it just happens.  

As far as the Zucker vs. Addison/Lambos thing, there's a lot to unpack.  Zucker was injury prone in Pittsburgh for a while, so whether we dodged a bullet or got great value when it mattered most, who knows.  He's a Top 6 winger.  Addison had every opportunity to prove what it could have been, but didn't.  It was telling that all they wanted from him was, "Stop fucking up," and he wouldn't, then Faber and even Mermis outplayed him...well, whatever.

Young potential or not, it isn't the Wild's problem anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raithis said:

You also have to remember that we didn't have much for prospects back then so refilling that pool was necessary so draft picks/prospects are what we needed.  A 1st and a 2nd round prospect seems like an even trade for Zucker given the circumstances.

Grading a trade based on the draft position of the return misses the point.

If we'd traded Zucker (a productive top 6 pro, drafted late 2nd or 3rd rd) for Nail Yakokpov (Oilers first overall bust) and Benoit Puliot (Wild's 4th overall bust) would you say we won the trade?

The trade is judged based on what the prospects turn into in reality.  Success in that department depends on a scouting depts ability to assess talent and more importantly identify promise in a player before it becomes obvious to the rest of the hockey world.

Addison is on BG because he had insider knowledge of Addison and obviously liked what he saw (while he was part of Penguins org when they drafted him).  I have to admit i liked Addison offensive abilities, but BG should have figured out Addy had a bit of an Addytude.  Lambos is on Judd.  We'll see.  Rossi appears to be on a development path we'd hoped for (feels good to be able to say that thru 11 games this year), so I'll give Judd benefit of doubt.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Looks like Adam Raska is a mediocre 5'9" Czech league player who is already turning 29 at the end of this month. I don't foresee him suiting up in the NHL.

NHL has him as 22 but with him playing for San Jose's AHL team can't imagine his projected ceiling is high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

The trade is judged based on what the prospects turn into in reality.  Success in that department depends on a scouting depts ability to assess talent and more importantly identify promise in a player before it becomes obvious to the rest of the hockey world.

Until last season, Zucker never scored more than 10 goals for Pittsburgh across 2.5 seasons... 

It'll be up to Lambos, but neither side got a great return as it currently stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Looks like Adam Raska is a mediocre 5'9" Czech league player who is already turning 29 at the end of this month. I don't foresee him suiting up in the NHL.

Adam Raska is 22 y.o. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/298159/adam-raska Doesn't look like he's seen much professional ice time yet to make an educated assessment on him yet.

1 hour ago, Citizen Strife said:

Russo reported the Wild traded a 2025 7th for Bogosian from the Lightning.  So yes, another trade happened.

It's all making sense now. Addison was simply too young for the Wild. Old-Bag-osian was drated by the Atlanta Thrashers! My God how old is he? Faber is gonna have to tie his skates! 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

Until last season, Zucker never scored more than 10 goals for Pittsburgh across 2.5 seasons... 

It'll be up to Lambos, but neither side got a great return as it currently stands. 

Zucker's results post trade are irrelevant.  Zucker's value at trade time is what the return is measured against.  If Lambos becomes a second pair D I'd say we still lost the trade.  Lambos becomes Jon Merrill, BG shit the bed.

IMO it's harder to find a top 6 forward than it is to find a competent D.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adamada said:

NHL has him as 22 but with him playing for San Jose's AHL team can't imagine his projected ceiling is high.

Damn, I didn't see that the next player listed on my search was also named Adam Raska. Both have played in the Czech league, but the 5'10" 22 year old certainly seems like a little more of a prospect. As a 7th round pick, I don't have high hopes, but I guess he has seen NHL ice with the Sharks in 8 games since 2021, no points.

He has also played in World Juniors back in 2020 and 2021, tallying 1 assist in 9 games there.