Hockey Wilderness

Check Your Premise

My new neighbor recently painted his house bright yellow. It used to be a chocolate brown. A little dark for most, but it got the job done. I asked my neighbor while he was out painting his new house why? He told me the chocolate color was okay, but it just didn't feel like him. Like it was still the previous owners. Okay, that made sense to me. But why not fix the leaky gutter, chop down the dying tree and patch the driveway? He said his last house, and the house he grew up in all had old dying trees and cracked driveways. Okay. But to me and the other neighbors, the yellow does brighten it up, but it's still the same old house with the same old problems. Then it dawned on me. (More like clubbed me upside the head!) You see, for the life of me, I just have not been able to wrap my head around what Bill Guerin must have been thinking handing out all these extensions with lots of no move and no trade clauses. I was suddenly reminded of the fictional functioning drunk Paradise Police Chief Jesse Stone in the Robert Parker novels who constantly says to himself, "if you don't like the answers, check your premise." Maybe, just maybe, it's that simple. There is no master plan for the Wild to get younger, faster, more skilled and exciting. Alas, while the rest of us would have addressed the leaky gutter, dying tree and cracked driveway, to Bill Guerin, all that was needed was a fresh coat of paint to make him feel at home.

5 hours ago, Been There Done That said:

My new neighbor recently painted his house bright yellow. It used to be a chocolate brown. A little dark for most, but it got the job done. I asked my neighbor while he was out painting his new house why? He told me the chocolate color was okay, but it just didn't feel like him. Like it was still the previous owners. Okay, that made sense to me. But why not fix the leaky gutter, chop down the dying tree and patch the driveway? He said his last house, and the house he grew up in all had old dying trees and cracked driveways. Okay. But to me and the other neighbors, the yellow does brighten it up, but it's still the same old house with the same old problems. Then it dawned on me. (More like clubbed me upside the head!) You see, for the life of me, I just have not been able to wrap my head around what Bill Guerin must have been thinking handing out all these extensions with lots of no move and no trade clauses. I was suddenly reminded of the fictional functioning drunk Paradise Police Chief Jesse Stone in the Robert Parker novels who constantly says to himself, "if you don't like the answers, check your premise." Maybe, just maybe, it's that simple. There is no master plan for the Wild to get younger, faster, more skilled and exciting. Alas, while the rest of us would have addressed the leaky gutter, dying tree and cracked driveway, to Bill Guerin, all that was needed was a fresh coat of paint to make him feel at home.

I thought I knew where this was going then I lost it.  On the bright side I’m painting my bathroom chocolate brown now