Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Defense Is Missing Its Safety Blanket

Luke Sims

Ok, say we get Spurgeon back.  We’re up to 3 capable defenders.  We still have 3 bad defenseman getting ice time.

The concerning thing to me is Middleton’s apparent regression and the abysmal GAA numbers from the first line. 

A total sieve for a backup goalie only compounds those problems.

Hopefully it’s all small sample size issues that regress back to the mean.

But, Spurgeon or no Spurgeon, Its starting to look like we’re in for a rough season.  It looks like a bad hockey team, and Geurin just locked it in for the next 3 years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Ok, say we get Spurgeon back.  We’re up to 3 capable defenders.  We still have 3 bad defenseman getting ice time.

The concerning thing to me is Middleton’s apparent regression and the abysmal GAA numbers from the first line. 

A total sieve for a backup goalie only compounds those problems.

Hopefully it’s all small sample size issues that regress back to the mean.

But, Spurgeon or no Spurgeon, Its starting to look like we’re in for a rough season.  It looks like a bad hockey team, and Geurin just locked it in for the next 3 years.  

With Spurg in that makes 4 quality defenders because of what he can do paired with Middleton.

The cavalry took a hit last night as Lambos went -5 against the Moose. I think Hunt faired better. So, they're not ready yet.

The Baby Wild have not appeared to be good in 4 games this year. Zane McIntyre has been shelled in 2 straight appearances. Growing pains seem to be happening in Des Moines.

32 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

The cavalry took a hit last night as Lambos went -5 against the Moose. I think Hunt faired better. So, they're not ready yet.

The Baby Wild have not appeared to be good in 4 games this year. Zane McIntyre has been shelled in 2 straight appearances. Growing pains seem to be happening in Des Moines.

I think most everyone anticipated growing pains this year plus at least one more.

1 minute ago, Up North Guy said:

I think most everyone anticipated growing pains this year plus at least one more.

I was expecting players to be a little more ready with Lambos challenging hard for a spot, especially by January. I was expecting some activity coming up from Des Moines. I was not expecting that activity to be Mermis  (who looked better than Merrill last night).

19 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I was expecting players to be a little more ready with Lambos challenging hard for a spot, especially by January. I was expecting some activity coming up from Des Moines. I was not expecting that activity to be Mermis  (who looked better than Merrill last night).

I agree but think BG was looking at the 2nd half to bring someone up. Now what?

2 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

I agree but think BG was looking at the 2nd half to bring someone up. Now what?

Well, it is just 1 bad game for Lambos, but further difficulty is something to keep an eye on. 

I wish Vonlonster didn't get so bent out of shape over the Pride article and just leave the site. He has eyes on Des Moines. I thought somebody else did too? Maybe they have some insight into what's going on down there? 

• Like 1

Middleton pairs really well with Spurgeon.  But we have lost Spurgeon before and not seen our D fall apart this badly.  But then we do not have the D we had before.  We are missing Dumba badly.  Our D is lacking players that are capable of playing the right way.  Getting Spurgeon back will help immensely but not completely.  

• Like 1