Hockey Wilderness

Article: Marco Rossi Took Bill Guerin's Physicality Plea To Heart

Brevan Bane

I am glad to see him coming through, admittedly I was skeptical, hopeful but figured this may be his last year to show something. The waved off goal in game one was a nice strong move holding his position and put it in using leverage and patience. If he can keep that up he seems to have a good scoring touch. Freddy helping drive play, Moose clearing space, lets hope this is the norm for them all year long.

• Like 3

On his goal, he was battling Giordano out front before getting the rebound, batting it in. That was a great example of how he's put together the two elements needed for the NHL. Awesome way for him to get his first official one and I'm sure that felt extra good getting a semi-greasy one.

I've been one of the bigger detractors, more so of Brackett. Between the comparisons from his draft year and my ultimate disdain for COVID shots and true cause of myocarditis, I wasn't happy about the situation for Rossi most of all. It was beginning to appear MN got nailed with another draft blunder. A few years is not too far off from the average for prospects.

I hope Rossi keeps the ball rolling here. It sure looks like he will do it. The decision to send him back to IA last season and ease him into the NHL seems like it was a good one along with the 23' Summer training. I only believe in grit-injections from the Bombardir development program, don't consent to the ones from Big Pharma.

• Like 5

I've liked Rossi's game so far this year. He had an unfortunate health problem and transitioning to the NHL were/are huge steps for the young Rossi. We're all waiting for that 'light to turn on', because he does have the talent. Seems Guerin might of found the switch.
It's almost time for some Canadian Whoopazz tonight. Get your Wild on.

• Like 3

It's not about the goal, from the eye test, it's about how he's playing. He's going into the dirty areas and getting quality shots off. He's punching the accelerator and becoming shifty. He's jumping on loose pucks and coming away with them in the corners. He's even becoming physical. 

To me, those are the things we thought we were getting when we drafted him, and he's playing more like that now than we've ever seen. Last season, being sent down, I think he was simply not strong enough to play in the big league. He needed this size and could use a little more for next year. 

I love the tenacity so far this season, and am glad that we gave him another chance and kept him around instead of jettisoning him.

What was nice to see was that Rossi outplayed Lundell in the head to head to open the season. But, I haven't wavered, I'd have still taken Lundell at #9. 

• Like 1

I waited in line outside the Met for finals tix in 1981. I always loved the 1980s North Stars style vs the Wild's defensive shell under Jacque. When BC came, I saw a movement away from Jacque's style.

When Rossi was selected, I had visions of Broten dancing in my head. But I didn't realize the difference in completion level between the 2. Broten with State High School Tourny, Frozen Four, and then Miracle on Ice before he was drafted.

Rossi...well, ...Austria. Still, Rossi had extremely positive scouting reports prior to his draft. So, could it still happen?

Broten and undrafted Ciccarelli teamed with other short guys...Bellows...Lawton etc. And, they had Plett or Payne'r on other lines.

Perhaps because of the completion level, Rossi started well behind Neal. It's early...but perhaps my dreams are alive.

Rossi is slightly heavier than Broten...and KK is as feisty and perhaps more talented than Ciccarelli.

Can the Wild have multiple 100-point players on the same line? I can only hope...then can Yurov replace the Hobbit?

It's my dream...and right now I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

Rossi has looked good every time I've seen him on the ice. I didn't get to watch the Toronto game at all, and only parts of the other 2 games. But he's playing faster, and more confident than he did last year, and he's a hound when the other team has the puck. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:22 AM, Will D. Ness said:

And to the chagrin of most of us here... that line with Moose and Freddy has looked good so far.

The theory was that if he was a legit top-6 guy, he would make that line shine the same way that Ek used to make the GREEF line go. And it seems he is doing that. 

Hopefully Dean puts him on the top line soon, but given how long it took Ek to even graduate to the top-6 it might not happen. Still, imagine the top line with a net-front presence that actually has some scoring touch! 

Food for thought...The year Nanne went all-in...in early 1981, on the way to the Finals, Nanne threw all his chips in, and in the finals, the North Stars rostered 7 rookies.

"...First, inexplicably, the club's top-scoring line of Al MacAdam, Bobby Smith and Steve Payne stopped putting the puck into the net. Then came injuries. All told, they cost Minnesota 322 man-games, the most by far in the NHL. Every North Star missed at least one game, and Minnesota finished the regular season three games under .500 and in ninth place.

But Minnesota's injuries were a blessing in disguise. Up from the minors came Maxwell and Dino Ciccarelli, a pesty right wing. From junior hockey came Brad Palmer, a left wing, and Ken Solheim, who has the hardest shot in the entire Minnesota organization. From the University of Minnesota came Neal Broten, a 1980 U.S. Olympian and winner of this year's Hobey Baker award as the nation's outstanding collegiate player. Counting Steve Christoff, 23, and Goal-tender Beaupre, who were already on the roster, by March Minnesota was playing seven rookies.

About then, too, Sonmor shifted Smith to a new line and matched MacAdam and Payne with veteran Center Tim Young. All at once both lines exploded. Smith finished with a team-high 93 points, and the rookies started to mesh."

Great read!

https://vault.si.com/vault/1981/05/18/nannes-boys-suddenly-grew-up-hero-worshiping-and-the-flames-took-a-beating-as-minnesota-reached-the-finals

• Like 1

Btw...I still don't know how to reply post but I'll figure it out

Even though we don't know how injuries will impact our roster...

Could we have 7 rookies playing...obviously probably a big NO!

But could we pull a Nanne?

Wally

Lambos-Faber

Rossi-Walker-Yurov

5 would be too hard on Dean

6 hours ago, calmseas said:

Btw...I still don't know how to reply post but I'll figure it out

Even though we don't know how injuries will impact our roster...

Could we have 7 rookies playing...obviously probably a big NO!

But could we pull a Nanne?

Wally

Lambos-Faber

Rossi-Walker-Yurov

5 would be too hard on Dean

Easiest way to reply is hit the quote button and write in the box that pops up. At least, I think that is what you are looking for.