Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Have A Pathway To Thrive In 2023 Despite Their Cap Situation

Brevan Bane

Ryan Hartman provided that during the 2021-22 season when the Wild paired him with Kevin Fiala before they traded him in the following offseason. Of course, they didn’t end up winning a playoff series. Still, opponents had to account for Hartman and Fiala, Kaprizov’s line, and Matt Boldy.

Pretty sure that Gaudreau was centering Boldy and Fiala, which is why he shows up on Fiala's scoring log 29 times while Hartman is only in there 6 times.

Hartman was centering the Kaprizov/Zuccarello line much of the 21-22 year, after Thanksgiving. They started JEE on the top line, tried Gaudreau a bit, then switched gears to Hartman for most of the season.  Hartman shows up on the scoring log for Kaprizov 37 times, including 3 assists on even strength playoff goals. When healthy, Hartman has scored at a pace above 60 points on that top line. He fits pretty well there.

• Like 6

Thx Brevan, I appreciate the insight. One thing that is missing is the impact from what will be needed from IA in the form of salary cap relief, play due to injury or performance.

With our history, there is absolutely no chance we go this whole year unscathed. Walker and Beckman will be vital to our group in case of injury and lack of performance with Foligno, Hartzy and Zucci and maybe Rossi.

I'm not sold on the last pair of D-men either. I know Addy will sign, hopefully, but I'm not encouraged he's gonna come in and fix all our problems if he's not willing to sign a contract until the day of camp. Goose's longevity and Merrill's Jekyll/Hyde have a lot of question marks for me. I believe there's gonna be an impact from Hunt, Lambos and possibly Spacek before we're all done. Faber's transition will signal if we change anything further with the 3rd pair from IA.

Edited by vonlonster67
  • Like 3

It seems to me that the best way to conquer the $15m cap restriction is to have a couple of prospects absolutely shine in camp where a couple of the vet placeholders get to find new homes. I don't think that Shooter is too concerned with the return he gets back from the vets, as he's more concerned with finding them a good fit.

Goodwill is something that Shooter has been able to use when trading some of the vets, especially ones where their agents don't go shooting off their mouths to the press. He sends them to locations where they can be productive. 

I think when he signs these guys, he let's it be known the holes he has, but there is a lot of talent marinating in the minors and when they're ready, that's who he's going with. I think he also promises to find them a good home. He's been through that before as a player, so he knows what it's like. Following through on this promise is how he builds that goodwill. 

So, to me, if Lambos really shines, perhaps the best place for Goligoski is in the front office? I could see him getting that salary over a couple of years in the front office learning scouting and mentoring. Maybe Hunt comes up and really shines too. I don't think Merrill will be too tough to move. 

But, what if one of the non-Rossi forwards shines? Could that open up a little cap space?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, viper3119 said:

Addison just signed his 1 year offer.  Team is now pretty much set till December

I wanna see a motivated/pissed off Addison this season. 

$825k for 1 year.  Not the contract he wanted, not the contract his side thought he deserved.  $100k less than Faber is getting next season.  

If Addison doesn't play like a man posessed next season, stick a fork in him...he's not going to be in a Wild sweater much longer.

Also just read the Russo article on this.  With this signing, if the wild choose to carry a 13th forward, they can't afford to call up Walker or Beckman.  They can call up Lettieri, Khaira, Petan, Fogarty, or Swaney.

Edited by MrCheatachu
Additional details
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrCheatachu said:

I wanna see a motivated/pissed off Addison this season. 

$825k for 1 year.  Not the contract he wanted, not the contract his side thought he deserved.  $100k less than Faber is getting next season.  

If Addison doesn't play like a man posessed next season, stick a fork in him...he's not going to be in a Wild sweater much longer.

MrC, after what I saw Lambos do last year and at prospect camp I believe he needs a shot. Like you I'm ready to move on if he's not.

• Like 3