Hockey Wilderness

Article: Marat Khusnutdinov Can Hit the Ground Running Next Year

Luke Sims

If Rossi hasn't pulled himself up by his NHL bootstraps by the time "Dino" arrives we will already forgotten about him on another team.

Marat does everything Rossi can do, but better, as he's been doing it against men for three years. He also has enough FU in his game for DE and BG.

Cant wait to see the "Russian Train"  hit the ice....Yurov Dino and da' Thrill!

Edited by vonlonster67
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, vonlonster67 said:

If Rossi hasn't pulled himself up by his NHL bootstraps by the time "Dino" arrives we will already forgotten about him on another team.

Think you might be right about that. I'm rooting for Rossi to make the leap this coming season, but Khusnutdinov and the other prospects deserve a chance too. Hopefully the pressure of them arriving soon will motivate Rossi to step up the intensity.

• Thanks 2

"...and it's unlikely Minnesota would debut a prospect in the middle of a playoff series."

Brock Faber, anyone?  I'm not sure two whole regular season games is significant in confirming a player is ready for the playoffs, especially if (as we all hope) Khusnutdinov continues on his current trajectory. 

That said, would he even be able to sign an ELC and participate in the 23-24 playoffs?

• Like 3

If Khusnutdinov plays on a line with Michkov, both of them should benefit greatly. Both are speedy: Michkov likes to shoot, and Khusnutdinov likes to pass. Not to mention, SKA getting Michkov after losing Gusev is almost unfair. I don't know if anyone here watches KHL games, but Gusev has been an animal for SKA for years and has been dominant for Russia in international play. Shame the NHL never quite clicked for him.

Hockey Wilderness Contributor
1 hour ago, bisopher said:

"...and it's unlikely Minnesota would debut a prospect in the middle of a playoff series."

Brock Faber, anyone?  I'm not sure two whole regular season games is significant in confirming a player is ready for the playoffs, especially if (as we all hope) Khusnutdinov continues on his current trajectory. 

That said, would he even be able to sign an ELC and participate in the 23-24 playoffs?

I understand what you are saying. Faber was more of a sure thing especially with the way that the Wild's defensive core was deployed. The Wild were more familiar with Faber with him playing for the Gophers. Faber was going to be singed anyway and had a few games in the regular season before playing in the playoffs. The Wild were much more comfortable with Faber then they will be with Khusnutdinov. He'd be able to sign right away and play but his season might go longer than Minnesota's if they don't reach the playoffs. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

The only question now is who is going to wear #22 for the Wild? Khusnutdinov or Yurov, which has been in moth balls since Fiala blessed the ice.

I have an idea about how that can be decided...

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNvbS9xUVBmc2ZhLmdpZg~_.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Velgey said:

I have an idea about how that can be decided...

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNvbS9xUVBmc2ZhLmdpZg~_.gif

It'll be interesting. In my opinion, they both just want to play hockey and it probably a non factor, but Dino is older and Yurov younger. 

Yurov is more than likely the most talented of the two. Dino will probably play before Yurov so it could be timing. 

The best part is we get them both on the ice soon, like next year...😎 

🏒.....🥅

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I'm a bit more tempered by Khus-khus. Dude is extremely small. I don't care so much about the height but his weight is a huge liability. I seem him being pushed off the puck or just beaten down in the NHL to the point of recurring injury.

I'm not saying we all need huge monsters on the team but some guys with some weight isn't a bad thing either for durability reasons.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TCMooch said:

Honestly, I'm a bit more tempered by Khus-khus. Dude is extremely small. I don't care so much about the height but his weight is a huge liability. I seem him being pushed off the puck or just beaten down in the NHL to the point of recurring injury.

I'm not saying we all need huge monsters on the team but some guys with some weight isn't a bad thing either for durability reasons.

Johnny Hockey is still listed as 5’9” 165 lbs going into his 10th year in the league. So I’m saying, there is a chance!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Protec said:

He needs to beef up to mnfaninnc's minimum 220lbs to compete next year.

The last time I saw Dino on the ice (WJC couple years ago) he looked like a shorter skinnier zucchini. Think undersized second year peewee.  He’s going to need a double helping of FU to play in the big’s.  Let’s hope he arrives with said helpings. 

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

The last time I saw Dino on the ice (WJC couple years ago) he looked like a shorter skinnier zucchini. Think undersized second year peewee.  He’s going to need a double helping of FU to play in the big’s.  Let’s hope he arrives with said helpings. 

I suggest you watch some KHL CKA featuring Dino, not what you saw in WJC.

Don't pay for it, you can watch replays for free on KHL tv.

I like the nickname "Dino," so let's do this!

I'd like him at 195, but he might have that Spurgeon factor where he can be effective at 165. Personally, I have to believe he is much stronger and playing at a higher weight. I'd also bet he doesn't get pushed around much since he's always blowing past people.

I am very excited about both Russians coming over. I think Kaprizov is also. He'll be busy mentoring them, so he won't be missing his friend in Zuccarello so much. 

Think about this, with all the debate about resigning people, if these guys come over, and they've done their time in other professional leagues, there's got to be some space for them! Even at that point, it's more about roster spots than money. 

To  me, Foligno is the only one we cannot duplicate, and Ohgren is close to doing that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I like the nickname "Dino," so let's do this!

I'd like him at 195, but he might have that Spurgeon factor where he can be effective at 165. Personally, I have to believe he is much stronger and playing at a higher weight. I'd also bet he doesn't get pushed around much since he's always blowing past people.

I am very excited about both Russians coming over. I think Kaprizov is also. He'll be busy mentoring them, so he won't be missing his friend in Zuccarello so much. 

Think about this, with all the debate about resigning people, if these guys come over, and they've done their time in other professional leagues, there's got to be some space for them! Even at that point, it's more about roster spots than money. 

To  me, Foligno is the only one we cannot duplicate, and Ohgren is close to doing that.

I'm thinking 165# is just a stat line and probably what he played in juniors.

He's got just a solid base and probably weighs closer to 175#. He's a banger jet, not a finesse jet.

Foligno is got to be on a prove it or lose it year. We'll know soon. If he stays it'll be on a Hartman deal at $1.75/yr.

2 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

Nutdi!! (Or maybe "Noodie" for proper pronunciation)

I've been going Knudi(noo dee) for quite awhile. When your name has thirty letters, there's lots of options. 

Khuzee is another nice one. 

I'm most interested in Knudi being the next Kucherov type guy in the NHL. Hoping for some Russian chemistry coming up after the Hobbit ends his journey and diminishes at a fjordside house in the hill.

• Haha 1