Hockey Wilderness

Article: Liam Öhgren Is the Future Of the Wild's Present Identity

Tony Abbott

Tony, you had me at Landeskog, but Austin Matthew......WOW! :classic_love:

I've watched Öhgren the past year since his draft in international games; everything your saying is true.

His skating is not only smooth, but powerful. Öhgren's passing, instincts, and hockey sense is evident. He has that vision that you can't teach. Also, as with all Swedes, his character and maturity shine through and he's sure to be another young leader in our core IA groups as he had captained early in his career in Sweden's U18 and assistant with U20.

We may look back at this 2022 draft and the trades that led up to them as a franchise game changer. 2024 cant come soon enough to get Öhgren and Yurov in camp to see if they can hang on with the bigs and give Rossi and Khusnutdinov some line support and answers to our roster questions.

Another great take Tony! Thx..

• Like 4

The future truely is bright for this Wild team. We finally have top brass who know what they are doing. Guerin and Brackett are as good as it gets. Most analysts had Ohgren as a reach. Rosie’s d velopment is a bummer. But when you start stacking the Wallstedts, Ohgrens, Yurov’s and hopefully Stramel’s on top of each other and you can clearly see the young talent we will have when the Suter/Parise contracts are up. Great article once again Tony!!!

16 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

I've watched Öhgren the past year since his draft in international games; everything your saying is true.

Which games did you watch? When I saw him in the WJCs, I was a bit disappointed. But it wasn't just with him, it was with his whole line which were also drafted players. Was there some other international play he showed up in?

Looking at his draft picture, he looks pretty thick. And that pretty thick is before he has filled out. I can only imagine what he'll be like once that happens!

I think his game will translate better once he gets over here. If he truly does pattern his game after Landeskog, then we should be seeing him absolutely running over smaller players. Some of these small defenders in the Addison class are going to be catching his license plate. But, nobody talks about his skill. This is where he can be sneaky good. 

Where do you put him? Is Stramel going to be his center? Maybe you run the playmaking off the wing with a Rossi/Khus%^&*? I'm with you, though, I'm excited for what's coming in '24!

33 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Which games did you watch? When I saw him in the WJCs, I was a bit disappointed. But it wasn't just with him, it was with his whole line which were also drafted players. Was there some other international play he showed up in?

Looking at his draft picture, he looks pretty thick. And that pretty thick is before he has filled out. I can only imagine what he'll be like once that happens!

I think his game will translate better once he gets over here. If he truly does pattern his game after Landeskog, then we should be seeing him absolutely running over smaller players. Some of these small defenders in the Addison class are going to be catching his license plate. But, nobody talks about his skill. This is where he can be sneaky good. 

Where do you put him? Is Stramel going to be his center? Maybe you run the playmaking off the wing with a Rossi/Khus%^&*? I'm with you, though, I'm excited for what's coming in '24!

Watching our prospects playing is like scouting them. You're not worried about their team, other players,  the score, or the lines. 

Watch them individually away from the puck, their passes, positioning, reaction to the D or their board work. The 200 foot game.

Where does he play,  that's the best part. Imagine a GREEF line of Stramel, Yurov, Öhgren or interchange the pieces. Beckman, Bankier, Öhgren.

Possibilities are endless.

4 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

Watching our prospects playing is like scouting them. You're not worried about their team, other players,  the score, or the lines. 

Watch them individually away from the puck, their passes, positioning, reaction to the D or their board work. The 200 foot game.

Where does he play,  that's the best part. Imagine a GREEF line of Stramel, Yurov, Öhgren or interchange the pieces. Beckman, Bankier, Öhgren.

Possibilities are endless.

Yes, I did that. Were you watching different games than I was? I'll admit, I only got to see the ones on ESPN+, so it was limited. But, when I watch Ohgren, I was not very impressed. I did the same thing on Spacek and came away impressed and excited at what he might bring.

And I love the idea of an Ohgren-Stramel-Bankier line. That sounds pretty stout!

Edited by mnfaninnc

On 8/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, Skolwild said:

This site enjoys nicknames for our favorite players. I’d like to nominate Shrek for this guy

I'll take it. I've put in my .02 cents for Knudi,(noo-dee) who will hopefully have a big KHL season for SKA.