Hockey Wilderness

Article: Joel Eriksson Ek Is Just Getting Started

Tony Abbott

Is JEE shaping up to have a better career than Mr. Minnesota Center himself, Mikko Koivu?

I wonder if JEE gets more top 6 minutes and opportunities like Mikko if he could be as good as Koivu. Koivu still dominates in face-offs though.

• Like 5

"Is JEE shaping up to have a better career than Mr. Minnesota Center himself, Mikko Koivu?

I wonder if JEE gets more top 6 minutes and opportunities like Mikko if he could be as good as Koivu. Koivu still dominates in face-offs though."

At this point, yes. As long as he can stay healthy and stay with the team for the long haul, I'd say he eclipses Koivu in points. Faceoffs might be a different story, but there have been many centers that improve over time in that regard.

Edited by CoolHandL
  • Like 2

When I look back at the Wild and the beginning of what is now, Ek is simply amazing.

He was a #1 draft pick and was caught in the comparison game right away from draft night.

Undeterred, he kept fighting to put his stamp on this team. I remember him being buried with limited minutes and opportunities. He remained dedicated.

It seems like overnight he has blossomed into a core piece of this team with little "fan" fare. He was second guessed, but stayed committed to his trade. I'm so happy he did.

Ek is the "Wild Glue". He's that annoying little brother that you love to hate if he's not on your team. Ek is blue collar, unassuming, gritty, in your face on the ice, modest off and always well spoken and showing maturity. He's respected amongst his peers and leads by example as an informal leader of this team. He's always willing to answer the tough questions, admit his short comings, but stay focused. He's got Assistant Captain written all over his style of play.

I couldn't be happier for this young man who has sold out everything to give us a game. He's not perfect, improving every year. Who knows where that will take us

He's obviously loves Minnesota, the fans and has given more to this team than taken at 5 million a year, because that's a steal. He cares about this team and shows us the money is not his top priority. Who tries to play hockey with a broken fibula, not many.

Ek is the guy we need on this team.  His character sets the example and his talent is growing and I believe is unmeasurable at this point in his career. His line may be #2 in name, but I have a feeling this year with Boldy n JoJo they will really be #1, no disrespect to KK.

I want to see his jersey hanging next to Mikko's some day. It's gonna be a fun ride!

• Like 5

Great stuff, Tony. JEEK has succeeded every time they’ve increased his role. 

It just came out today so too late for this article but The Athletic ranked the top NHL contracts. Boldy was 5th and JEEK was HR, so top 15. 

• Like 2

Ek's got more skill than people give him credit for. He works on the things he's weak at, and usually comes back from summer much better. I'd expect him to be better at faceoffs again next season.

I also think we got another guy similar to this makeup in Stramel. Having 2 big centers like that should pay a lot of dividends for this club. I wouldn't mind having 4 Ek's as our centers, I think he's that well rounded and will make every line he's on better. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I'd expect him to be better at faceoffs again next season.

It is impressive that's he's improved his faceoff percentage every season. Most nights on home ice in the last few years, he was also frequently going out to faceoff against the #1 line of the opposition. Given the talent he was often up against, slightly below 50% may not be a sign of below-average skill.

If you face off against the best most nights, coming out just a little below 50% rather than down at 40% could be seen as an accomplishment. Of course, I'm sure he's working to get over that 50% hump in the next few years JEE is one of the most complete players they Wild have and he's just entered the prime years for most professional athletes.

His injury just before the playoffs was a crushing blow to the Wild's chances. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in his return to the ice, and it would be great if the Wild could enter the playoffs healthy this season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killer Coastie said:

I would like the Wild to put JEE at center on the first line. Rossi could get a hard long look on the second line with top 6 talent. Hartman would center the third, with Foligno and Gaudreau.

I fully agree.  Boldy and Rossi were a great duo during the (admittedly short) time they were both in Iowa.  Let JEE turn Kaprizov and Zucc into his latest sidekicks on The Best Line in Hockey...

• Like 3

Guerin has locked in the key guys. Top defense, and core players like Ek, Boldy, and #97. 

It's pretty much gonna be the same exact team for the next two years with minor changes. Dumba now, Fleury, Foligno, and Zuccarello next season, but the core guys are all gonna be there.

I'm impressed with what Guerin has done in his time so far. There are very few weaknesses. Some challenges but nothing they can't overcome with the expected gains from prospects. The Wild should be a playoff team for years if they can stay healthy. Get Ek an extra inch or two of shin-pad before 23-24.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Killer Coastie said:

I would like the Wild to put JEE at center on the first line. Rossi could get a hard long look on the second line with top 6 talent. Hartman would center the third, with Foligno and Gaudreau.

This would be fine. I agree hard look is what makes sense until it doesn't. Last year 1 point in 20 games was too few. If he were playing with Boldy in the top six, what would you guys think is the benchmark to stay in that role? I would think it would have a couple few requirements. Eye-test and team wins. Beneath that would be points and compete against top centers. 

I would like to see Rossi get 5-6 points in the first 10 games to stay in the 2nd line role. Zero or 2pts in wouldn't be okay if other team's centers were also bullying him or the line in general wasn't clicking. At that point, falling back to Gaudreau or Hartman would be easy but it probably doesn't qualify as a hard look. 5-6 points in 20 games then perhaps???

• Like 1